Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not given day off work

Options
  • 05-09-2018 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi everyone,

My cousin is getting married at the end of this month. The wedding is in Kilkenny and I live in Dublin. I'm a student and I work in retail at the moment. I've only had this job a few weeks. I asked for the day of the wedding and the day after off but they only gave me one day. I really would like to spend the second day there, it is an important day after all.

Has anyone dealt with a situation like this before?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

A cousins wedding?????

Seriously???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Could be a dodgy hotel, food poisoning....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

angelinab wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

My cousin is getting married at the end of this month. The wedding is in Kilkenny and I live in Dublin. I'm a student and I work in retail at the moment. I've only had this job a few weeks. I asked for the day of the wedding and the day after off but they only gave me one day. I really would like to spend the second day there, it is an important day after all.

Go to work the second day, or quit.
    Could be a dodgy hotel, food poisoning....

Or choose door number 3- get fired.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    A cousins wedding?????

Seriously???

Yes, his cousin is getting married. It was announced in a few places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Welcome to the working world

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Welcome to the world of work!

You were given a day off for it, be grateful for it and use the day well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

The second day isn't important at all really.

OP do you want to stay the second day or earn a wage? Pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

A cousins wedding?????

Seriously???

As an only child one of my first cousins is probably my best friend...
    don’t see why it wouldn’t mean a lot to OP tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

A cousins wedding?????

Seriously???

:confused:

What do you want to know?
    Exactly?
    You asked for a day off, you got it. Ask for two if you want two.
    If you don't get them, then so be it
    Make your mind up time, is your job more important or is your cousins wedding more important?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Jack Moore

Go to work the second day, or quit.

You not irish ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Hi everyone,

Is there anyone who could work the next day for you and swap one of your days off for one they are working?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Get loaded and come in the next day still half cut.

Seriously, at a wedding, get drunk and then back in the next day from Kilkenny not very realistic for an early job start. What time does your shift start?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

Go sick, get a doctors note. And they cant do a thing about it.

thebull85 wrote: »

Except let them go the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

bubblypop wrote: »
    What do you want to know?
    Exactly?
    You asked for a day off, you got it. Ask for two if you want two.
    If you don't get them, then so be it
    Make your mind up time, is your job more important or is your cousins wedding more important?

He did ask for two.

thebull85 wrote: »

He isn't there long enough, he can just be let go.

(unless the doctor's note says the OP's illness is pregnancy related)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Ask someone who has the day off if they can cover your shift. We often do that in my job, people are usually happy enough to cover if you need it

Yeah, not that easy. Plus do you know how hard it is to get decent staff now? That's the very reason they are having trouble giving him the second day off. The OP would have a pick of part time jobs and his current employer knows this and will suck it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Only worked a couple of weeks and already thinking it's just like mitching school.

Op, did you not know the wedding was coming up so that you could have asked about getting the time off when you were accepting the job?

• Advertisement

Get loaded and come in the next day still half cut.

Seriously, at a wedding, get drunk and then back in the next day from Kilkenny not very realistic for an early job start. What time does your shift start?

Maybe dont drink?

I didnt drink at my brother's wedding

Yeah, not that easy. Plus do you know how hard it is to get decent staff now? That's the very reason they are having trouble giving him the second day off. The OP would have a pick of part time jobs and his current employer knows this and will suck it up.

It's very easy to let someone go if they have only been in a job for a few weeks and call in sick when everyone knows they are at a wedding.

Christ I wasnt aware of a boom in weekend employment- most students I now say they cant get one

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi everyone,

Why don't u try shift swap for 2nd day.
    It's always give and take.

Try_harder wrote: »
    Christ I wasnt aware of a boom in weekend employment- most students I now say they cant get one

They aren't looking in the right places.

https://ie.indeed.com/m/jobs?q=Weekend+Staff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭Pretzill

You could go late to the wedding after work and take the next day off instead?

Or get carried in to work early the day after on all the high horses responding to your OP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Ask for a reason as to why they can’t grant the leave request. If it is reasonable... such as already staff off then deal with it or try get a swap. If they can’t or won’t justify the reason for declining...get the fûck outta there...pronto.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

I find it funny that several posters have referred to the op as he despite the fact their username is angelina b

I find it funny that several posters have referred to the op as he despite the fact their username is angelina b

Everyone on Boards.ie is male until proven otherwise as in pics or GTO... and not even then sometimes :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

I had a look at your post history, OP, to try get an idea of your age. Interestingly, found a thread where you didn't like your job last year and were having problems there too.

The reason I was curious about your age is that the advice I'd give depends on it. Aged 16 to 18, I'd tell you that it's a little harsh to find out at a big event that other people don't really care if it's your cousin's wedding. But at 16 to 18, cousins tend to be closer, and if it's that big a deal just find another job. Too young for a part time job to make you lose out.

However, I make you out to be about 22. So I'm gonna tell you - nobody cares. They've been goos enough to give you the day off for it so suck it up and resolve it yourself. Either get someone to swap with, or find another job. But it's not their problem, they've accommodated you.

Advertisement