Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not given day off work

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Try_harder wrote: »
    Maybe dont drink?

I didnt drink at my brother's wedding

I didn't drink at mine !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

I had a look at your post history, OP, to try get an idea of your age. Interestingly, found a thread where you didn't like your job last year and were having problems there too.

The reason I was curious about your age is that the advice I'd give depends on it. Aged 16 to 18, I'd tell you that it's a little harsh to find out at a big event that other people don't really care if it's your cousin's wedding. But at 16 to 18, cousins tend to be closer, and if it's that big a deal just find another job. Too young for a part time job to make you lose out.

However, I make you out to be about 22. So I'm gonna tell you - nobody cares. They've been goos enough to give you the day off for it so suck it up and resolve it yourself. Either get someone to swap with, or find another job. But it's not their problem, they've accommodated you.
    Today's snowflake generation are spoilt rotten after being cossetted in cotton wool by their mammys and think the world revolves around their needs.

Then reality bites and they have no clue

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Today's snowflake generation are spoilt rotten after being cossetted in cotton wool by their mammys and think the world revolves around their needs.

Oh piss off!

Yes we really are spoilt rotten, what with our zero hours contracts and, the gig (insecure) economy and the inability to afford and obtain decent housing. It's you who is out of touch with reality here honestly. Continue spouting your ill informed Trump-isms though.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

I had a look at your post history, OP, to try get an idea of your age. Interestingly, found a thread where you didn't like your job last year and were having problems there too.

The reason I was curious about your age is that the advice I'd give depends on it. Aged 16 to 18, I'd tell you that it's a little harsh to find out at a big event that other people don't really care if it's your cousin's wedding. But at 16 to 18, cousins tend to be closer, and if it's that big a deal just find another job. Too young for a part time job to make you lose out.

However, I make you out to be about 22. So I'm gonna tell you - nobody cares. They've been goos enough to give you the day off for it so suck it up and resolve it yourself. Either get someone to swap with, or find another job. But it's not their problem, they've accommodated you.

I think that's unfair. It's the OP who needs to grow up and harden up, not an entire generation who've genuinely been ripped off by people 30-40 years their senior. I work with plenty of people around the OPs age. They work hard and have a marked degree more cop on than someone whinging about only getting one day off for a wedding instead of two. People the OPs age who sometimes work 12 days on the go and don't see daylight that whole time because of the long hours, and who don't take it for granted that they'd get time off for a funeral.

But for the OP, you're right. Reality bites.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Boo ****ing hoo.

You'll have plenty more good days ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Oh piss off!

Yes we really are spoilt rotten, what with our zero hours contracts and, the gig (insecure) economy and the inability to afford and obtain decent housing. It's you who is out of touch with reality here honestly. Continue spouting your ill informed Trump-isms though.

The deal is raw but the precious attitude makes it so much worse for yourself and them.

It is also a waste of time and changes nothing but annoys people who are going through tough times and often have, people you should be trying to bring alone.

You can either feel sorry for yourself under the stream of piss and the hungry stomach or change it or your own circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

I think that's unfair. It's the OP who needs to grow up and harden up, not an entire generation who've genuinely been ripped off by people 30-40 years their senior. I work with plenty of people around the OPs age. They work hard and have a marked degree more cop on than someone whinging about only getting one day off for a wedding instead of two. People the OPs age who sometimes work 12 days on the go and don't see daylight that whole time because of the long hours, and who don't take it for granted that they'd get time off for a funeral.

But for the OP, you're right. Reality bites.

I fully agree that many in the op's age are superb - I employ several.

They are not snowflakes. They understand the value of work and responsibility.

There's a cohort that are considered snowflakes that think the world resolves around their lives.

Reality bites after a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

It's official, boards has turned into a refuge of old foggies that have forgotten what it's like to be young.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

How about looking up labour laws.
    If youre only in the job a short time Op you mightnt be entitled to two days off. And if the roster is made up week maybe 2 in advance its not so easy to start giving new employees 2 days in a row off on short notice.
    Its work life - get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Do you think your employer would give you a lend of a company car as well as two days off just to make things easier for you?

The employer must realise that he is there to serve your needs not to make money. After all you have been with the company for two weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

It's official, boards has turned into a refuge of old foggies that have forgotten what it's like to be young.

I'm 30. Not exactly an old fogie. I just think the OP is being treated fairly and needs to wake up to reality.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

angelinab wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

My cousin is getting married at the end of this month. The wedding is in Kilkenny and I live in Dublin. I'm a student and I work in retail at the moment. I've only had this job a few weeks. I asked for the day of the wedding and the day after off but they only gave me one day. I really would like to spend the second day there, it is an important day after all.

Has anyone dealt with a situation like this before?

People are being unfairly harsh in some responses here, take no notice. The reality is, you're only there a few weeks so you don't have any 'pull'. I'm not sure if you'd even have earned two annual leave days yet.

You could talk to your manager and explain why you wanted the second day off (if you haven't already) but in reality, they are unlikely to give you a weekend off when they have more than likely employed you to cover weekend shifts. Maybe see if a co-worker could cover for you on the second day or could swap to a later shift giving you time to get back from Kilkenny?

The other option is to give up the job and go to the wedding but I'd only do that if you were reasonably sure that you could pick up something else straight away. Whatever you do, enjoy the wedding!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

You can ask if they would give you next day off if one of your co-workers fills in for you. You don't have any rights and as a new employee you can be fired without reason. It might be just something you will have to suck up.

As for snotty replies, most of us would ask for two days attending a wedding, it's not unreasonable request. Also op doesn't owe his employer any particular gratitude, he is providing a service, they are paying him for it, if he is good enough he will be kept if not, he won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Whirl_wolle

The op is a student. I presume the op can't afford a car but I could be wrong there. Maybe has to rely on public transport or a lift to get to and from the wedding. If the wedding is on a Saturday, it might be hard to get transport back to Dublin on time with Sunday schedules and then if the op is relying on a lift, that may not work out too well either if the driver tends to have some drinks. I think it's poor form from the employer if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

Would the same cousin make similar sacrifices for a wedding in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭henryforde80

Buttercake wrote: »
    Would the same cousin make similar sacrifices for a wedding in Dublin?

My god some of the responses here. All OP is looking for is a bit of friendly advice. People are jumping all over him because he wants some advice of getting a second day off to enjoy his cousins wedding without worrying of going into work the following day.

As others have mentioned OP, maybe explain to your manager your really good friends with your cousin and would it be okay if you got someone else to cover your shift and it's a once off.

If he says no, there is really nothing else you can do except quit but would be really poor form out of the employer not to give you the two days if cover is available.

Also just go to the afters and get loaded and take the next day off

I'm 30. Not exactly an old fogie. I just think the OP is being treated fairly and needs to wake up to reality.

He is just looking for some helpful advice to get the two days off. What reality should he wake up to exactly?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Pro Tip: Call in sick the day before your holiday day, say it's 'coming out both ends'. Then you cancel your holiday day as well.

You get 3 days off and retain a holiday day, no questions asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

A cousins wedding?????

Seriously???
    Try_harder wrote: »
    Welcome to the working world
    Welcome to the world of work!

You were given a day off for it, be grateful for it and use the day well.
    Pelvis wrote: »
    The second day isn't important at all really.

OP do you want to stay the second day or earn a wage? Pick one.
    Only worked a couple of weeks and already thinking it's just like mitching school.

Op, did you not know the wedding was coming up so that you could have asked about getting the time off when you were accepting the job?
    I had a look at your post history, OP, to try get an idea of your age. Interestingly, found a th

Christ lads, harsh stuff. Why is it some horrific, offensive idea to ask for a day off?
    As for "being grateful" for the day off, unless you're getting paid for the time off I don't see the massive imposition on the employer
    Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Pro Tip: Call in sick the day before your holiday day, say it's 'coming out both ends'. Then you cancel your holiday day as well.

^ This.

Either call in sick, try swap a shift, or quit the job OP. You could also ask nicely again, but that means you won't get away with the sick excuse when the time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Boom_Bap wrote: »

As an employer we try to accommodate people with days off when they want them or need them but employers are not stupid. In our case new employee would be out of the door straight away if they did that because it's also disrespectful to co workers who made their own plans for the weekend. If someone does this at the beginning of their employment it's best to get rid of them straight away and avoid future hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

meeeeh wrote: »
    As an employer we try to accommodate people with days off when they want them or need them but employers are not stupid. In our case new employee would be out of the door straight away if they did that because it's also disrespectful to co workers who made their own plans for the weekend. If someone does this at the beginning of their employment it's best to get rid of them straight away and avoid future hassle.

A lot or most of what I have said is in jest. :)
    Up to this point, anytime my team has asked for a day off, they have gotten it. I've always accommodated them.
    When someone calls in sick and they start to go through their medical problems, I stop them and tell them to go back to bed and stop wasting time talking to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

Given that the OP has actually been given a day off work, I find the title of this thread very confusing.

If she had called it "Not given two days off work" then I would have understood her massive problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

OP - I feel for you in the sense that course you want to be there and it means a lot to you. However you say in the post that you've only been in the job a few weeks and the wedding is at the end of this month. Did you mention this when going for the job that you'd be looking for the days off or is it a case that that you've only told them now?

I've started jobs when I've had holidays booked and been granted the time off or able to work around because I was really upfront from the get go in relation to needing the time off.

It could honestly be a case that they hired you to cover specific days because that was what was needed and would find it difficult to cover you for the additional day you want off.

Maybe approach your boss and ask if you were able to get another employee to cover you, would that allow you the additional day off.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I've only had this job a few weeks.
    thebull85 wrote: »
    Go sick, get a doctors note. And they cant do a thing about it.
    Plenty they can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭firstlight

Wouldn't worry about it too much anyway
    Your only a number in the majority of jobs now days anyway
    Once you realise your only a number life becomes easier
    Enjoy the wedding :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm a student and I work in retail at the moment.
    Part time job?
    I've only had this job a few weeks. I asked for the day of the wedding and the day after off but they only gave me one day.
    You're working there 3 weeks, and already trying to get a weekend off at short notice? Have you considered that someone else has booked already booked the weekend off?

You have two choices; work that weekend, or get another job.

the_syco wrote: »
    Part time job?

You're working there 3 weeks, and already trying to get a weekend off at short notice? Have you considered that someone else has booked already booked the weekend off?

You have two choices; work that weekend, or get another job.

Or see if someone can swap with you if that option is available

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Christ lads, harsh stuff. Why is it some horrific, offensive idea to ask for a day off?

It's not, at all. But the OP has asked for the second day off, been refused it and has taken to the internet to ask what can be done about it as a) they have been mistreated in some way and b) there is any realistic answer other than "nothing".

We've all been refused days off at some point or other in our careers, it's just part and parcel of working life. I think that's all people are trying to point out.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    It's not, at all. But the OP has asked for the second day off, been refused it and has taken to the internet to ask what can be done about it as a) they have been mistreated in some way and b) there is any realistic answer other than "nothing".

We've all been refused days off at some point or other in our careers, it's just part and parcel of working life. I think that's all people are trying to point out.
    Dial Hard wrote: »

When did the OP say they were been mistreated in any way? Very confused here. He was looking for advice to try and get the second day off. You know people do ask questions on boards and look for advice on things. Obviously wants to go to the wedding and didn't rant or rave that he didn't get the day off.

There is more than nothing that can be done as asking a colleague to cover, skip the day ceremony and go to the afters and take the following day off etc.

Some people like jumping to conclusions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

meeeeh wrote: »

Yeah, if you ask for a day off and it's denied, then you call in sick, it's pretty obvious to all involved what's happening. That was an instant reprimand/dismissal in the pharmacy chain I used to work in.

Advertisement