Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not given day off work

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Try and line up another job before hand. If you get one take the second day; if you don't get one don't take the second day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

This thread is a mess. OP talk to your supervisor and see if swaps are allowed or if there is anything else you can do. Explain it’s not feasible to get back from the wedding in time for work the next day.

For all the ones shouting snowflake at her, I’m in my thirties and had my first job at 13 and would expect to be able to attend a family event when I’ve followed the correct procedures when applying for leave. When someone asks for 2 days off together, it’s usually because they need the 2 days. Annual leave is not asking a favour, it’s part of the terms of employment. I hope none of you are in HR or in charge of rosters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

When someone asks for 2 days off together, it’s usually because they need the 2 days. Annual leave is not asking a favour, it’s part of the terms of employment. I hope none of you are in HR or in charge of rosters.

It is in terms of employment but in most it's at the business discretion as to when the annual leave is taken. While it's common that most places will let you have days off you've booked, there can be occasions where it's just not compatible with the running of the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

I didn't drink at mine !!

I'm drinking every day since mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,554 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I think op is being fairly well treated considering they haven’t worked enough time to be entitled to two days annual leave. You don’t just start the year with a full entitlement it builds up on a pro rata basis each month.

Sometimes working life sucks and this is an example of that. It may be a case that OP has to go to the wedding and drink responsibly so they can be back for work the next day. It’s not that unusual in the working world at all.

People saying leave, go sick, take the second day anyway are all being idiots as it will definitely end with your dismissal and likely no reference to bring forward.

Ask can a swap or any other arrangement be made.

After that it’s suck it up and welcome to the real world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

First of all ignore the patronising comments directed towards you. Some people seem to think you owe your job everything no matter what the pay, or how ****e it is. In actual real world life is short, most jobs are actually meaningless and you just have to play the game.

As for your question you could try and reason with your boss and ask if you can swap shift's with someone or agree to do extra hours to work back the time. A reasonable boss would probably agree to one of those options. If they still won't let you take the extra day you can always call in sick. But only do that if you are willing to risk losing your job or if you can get a sick note. If you really need this job you are going to have to sacrifice the wedding unfortunately. Unless you can line up another job for after the wedding, which is entirely possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,554 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

First of all ignore the patronising comments directed towards you. Some people seem to think you owe your job everything no matter what the pay, or how ****e it is. In actual real world life is short, most jobs are actually meaningless and you just have to play the game.

As for your question you could try and reason with your boss and ask if you can swap shift's with someone or agree to do extra hours to work back the time. A reasonable boss would probably agree to one of those options. If they still won't let you take the extra day you can always call in sick. But only do that if you are willing to risk losing your job or if you can get a sick note. If you really need this job you are going to have to sacrifice the wedding unfortunately. Unless you can line up another job for after the wedding, which is entirely possible.

Just to clarify, OP can still loose their job if they get a doctors cert, its not some sort of magical document that protects OP in any situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Assuming you had more than 3 weeks notice of the wedding, why did you not state that when you were applying for the job that you had pre-existing leave requirements?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

On second thoughts... ignore.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

thebull85 wrote: »
    Go sick, get a doctors note. And they cant do a thing about it.

Now go back and actually read about the situation and understand why you are so wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Is there anyone who could work the next day for you and swap one of your days off for one they are working?

Lots of employers don’t allow this at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 vinny.vicious

Pelvis wrote: »
    The second day isn't important at all really.

OP do you want to stay the second day or earn a wage? Pick one.

The second day is more important.. Far better session than the actual wedding itself!! Fact!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Have you tried speaking to your manager an explaining that it is a very important day for you and you would like to attend both? Maybe explain you can cover an extra late shift or 2 normal shifts the week after to compensate?

Advertisement