Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2,000 affordable homes planned Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Pelvis wrote: »
    Another affordable housing scheme.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/more-than-2-000-affordable-homes-planned-for-10-dublin-sites-1.3619644

Once again, those caught between the "rich" and the "poor" are screwed.

A single person earning over 50k and a couple earning over 75k can afford to house themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

nice little bargain if you get one in O’Devaney gardens for that price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

mariaalice wrote: »
    A single person earning over 50k and a couple earning over 75k can afford to house themselves.
    A single person earning 50k in Dublin cannot afford a house worth living in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

After they pay 25k tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Pelvis wrote: »
    A single person earning 50k in Dublin cannot afford a house worth living in.

€175,000 mortgage plus deposit & savings.... should be enough for a two bed apartment in Dublin, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

€175,000 mortgage plus deposit & savings.... should be enough for a two bed apartment in Dublin, no?

No, can’t find anywhere going for 200 in Dublin and I have searching for months as have a rebuilding Ireland mortgage approval

Prices end up going well over the 200k

Also how do you apply for the affordable housing in the link?

I rang Dublin council and they have no idea. ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

In Dublin? No.

Maybe in the commuter towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

No, can’t find anywhere going for 200 in Dublin and I have searching for months as have a rebuilding Ireland mortgage approval

Well you've half the battle, mortgage approval. The right property is there and will be available at the right price at some stage.

In the article above:
    "The lack of detail on a national affordable purchase scheme would not be a hindrance to the council, Mr Kenny said.

There is no urgency in relation to determining issues of eligibility or selection, as we can carry on with putting these sites to the market and I’d be pretty sure by the time the houses would be ready, the scheme would be in place.”"

Well you've half the battle, mortgage approval. The right property is there and will be available at the right price at some stage.

In the article above:

Thanks

Not sure if that’s sensible logic or not regarding the policy for the affordable housing

I think whenever I see articles , I want to follow up so that I don’t miss out. Ie ring few months down the line and told should have applied last year etc

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

The council will literally do anything not to build public housing themselves. Part of the reason they have so little stock at the moment was becasue they sold of so much of their housing over the last few decades (and didn't replace them). They should simply just up the income threshold for public housing (to at least 50k), charge more rent and use the money gained to keep building more hosuing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

The council will literally do anything not to build public housing themselves. Part of the reason they have so little stock at the moment was becasue they sold of so much of their housing over the last few decades (and didn't replace them). They should simply just up the income threshold for public housing (to at least 50k), charge more rent and use the money gained to keep building more hosuing.

By doing that aren’t we admitting that a lot of guards, teachers, nurses etc etc need social housing because our housing market is so dysfunctional.

Someone on €50k who can get a mortgage for 3.5 times income plus deposit could afford a property at 200k. In many parts of the country this would buy something decent - much harder in Dublin. But the truth is it’s hard for single people to buy property in s capital city anywhere. It’s really not achievable unless two people pool resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

They literally just put out a billion euro tender for building houses. Granted they aren't building them themselves but they shouldn't be either.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,523 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Try Ballyfermont, finglas, inchicore. Some showing up in daft

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

ted1 wrote: »

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/dublin-11/new-homes/property-for-sale-in-finglas

That is a new A rated 3 beds for €259,500 in Dublin.

April 73 wrote: »
    By doing that aren’t we admitting that a lot of guards, teachers, nurses etc etc need social housing because our housing market is so dysfunctional.

Someone on €50k who can get a mortgage for 3.5 times income plus deposit could afford a property at 200k. In many parts of the country this would buy something decent - much harder in Dublin. But the truth is it’s hard for single people to buy property in s capital city anywhere. It’s really not achievable unless two people pool resources.

Well our housing market is dysfunctional because they relied on the free market to house the vast majority of our citizens. The reason for public housing is to house those who can't/struggle to house themselves in the private market, that includes guards, nurses etc.

psinno wrote: »
    They literally just put out a billion euro tender for building houses. Granted they aren't building them themselves but they shouldn't be either.

Which is to be, tentatively, welcomed. But it comes several years into a major housing crisis, they shoulve been building for years. And why should'nr they be building it themselves?

Which is to be, tentatively, welcomed. But it comes several years into a major housing crisis, they shoulve been building for years. And why should'nr they be building it themselves?

Aside from any other arguments it doesn't make sense to tool up an organisation to do €1 billion in house building unless you are planning to do that in a sustainable repeatable rate. No point building up to do €500M or €750M a year in house building and then shutting it down a year latter.

psinno wrote: »
    Aside from any other arguments it doesn't make sense to tool up an organisation to do €1 billion in house building unless you are planning to do that in a sustainable repeatable rate. No point building up to do €500M or €750M a year in house building and then shutting it down a year latter.

Well that's my point; they should be doing it in a sustainable repeatable manner for the foreseeable future. The council did build plenty of housing previously then stopped and lost a great deal of the skills and expertise since.

In any case I don't mind too much of some construction is out sourced to private contractors, just as long as the council retain ownership afterwards, that is that it's simply not just handed to a developer to build and dictate terms.

Well that's my point; they should be doing it in a sustainable repeatable manner for the foreseeable future. The council did build plenty of housing previously then stopped and lost a great deal of the skills and expertise since.

How many houses a year did Dublin City Council build in the past, say in the 80s for example? Would you be happy if they did that level of building now? The number I see quoted in articles about this tender is 110,000 houses over a 10 year period. Were they building that much in the past?

I have as I live in one of those areas

The price will show on ad for 175 or 180 etc

But they have them purposely low so you can add at least 30k on to that by the time the bidding ends

This isn’t an exaggeration but fact unfortunately

The very odd one that goes below 200 is usually cash only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Is it me, or is housing single people in individual units a new thing? Have we lost the ability to live with eachother? My parents' generation, the siblings or cousins who didn't get married would have either lived together and shared, or joined a community living arrangement, like a religious community. Even in my own generation, I don't think I've ever lived alone, and I wouldn't know too many people who do either. 

It strikes me as hard on the environment, wasteful of resources, solitary / not good for mental health, and possibly poor community outcome to house every single person individually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

April 73 wrote:

We don't need everyone earning 50k to own a decent house, a 2-bed apartment suits them unless they have a familly

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

mariaalice wrote:

What would a single person be doing buying a house? Wouldn't an apartment be be more suitable & affordable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    What would a single person be doing buying a house? Wouldn't an apartment be be more suitable & affordable?

Apartments in this country aren't designed for long term living. They are too small, there is next to no storage, lack of parking, lack of outdoor space, etc. This all pushes people towards houses, and I can't blame them. I've lived in apartments for the last 9 years and the parking situation alone has ensured I will never buy an apartment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Simona1986 wrote: »
    We don't need everyone earning 50k to own a decent house, a 2-bed apartment suits them unless they have a familly

Yeh, they won’t get that either in most parts of Dublin.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/dublin-11/new-homes/property-for-sale-in-finglas

That is a new A rated 3 beds for €259,500 in Dublin.

There’s other houses. Nothing wrong with second hand homes ... kids today.

Sleeper12 wrote: »

No because eventually they’ll have a family. And they Will have to fork out money for a solicitor , survey , estate agent , valuation , stamp duty , moving van. All over again
    They’ll also need to redecorate the home again to their needs and wants.

So effectively they are spending double.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Yeh, they won’t get that either in most parts of Dublin.

And that's the biggest problem. A 15-20 year old 2 bed apartment in a half decent area is 300k +

BDJW wrote: »
    Apartments in this country aren't designed for long term living. They are too small, there is next to no storage, lack of parking, lack of outdoor space, etc. This all pushes people towards houses, and I can't blame them. I've lived in apartments for the last 9 years and the parking situation alone has ensured I will never buy an apartment

That's wonderful that single people dream of owning a house but you can't expect affordable housing scheme to give the same breaks as couples. The way things usually work is you buy your apartment first & move into a bigger property as you need it. The scheme isn't designed to provide you with what you might need sometime in the future. It's designed to meet peoples needs in the present

No because eventually they’ll have a family. And they Will have to fork out money for a solicitor , survey , estate agent , valuation , stamp duty , moving van. All over again
    They’ll also need to redecorate the home again to their needs and wants.

So effectively they are spending double.

Hello!!

This is how it has always been done. Ever hear of a starter home?

• Advertisement

pwurple wrote: »
    Is it me, or is housing single people in individual units a new thing? Have we lost the ability to live with eachother? My parents' generation, the siblings or cousins who didn't get married would have either lived together and shared, or joined a community living arrangement, like a religious community. Even in my own generation, I don't think I've ever lived alone, and I wouldn't know too many people who do either. 

It strikes me as hard on the environment, wasteful of resources, solitary / not good for mental health, and possibly poor community outcome to house every single person individually.

I have no family here at all and have worked everyday of the 18 years I have been here
    From circumstances outwith my control I’m a single parent

I’ve saved and saved and struggled to get a deposit but I have

Even though I have mortgage approval but can’t quite get a place I’m not sure living in a commune or religious sect is my next solution....... just yet

Advertisement