Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2,000 affordable homes planned Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Hello!!

This is how it has always been done. Ever hear of a starter home?

People now buy at average 36 34. That also explains why people want to live on their own and not share.

They buy once.

Also how many people in the past bought apartments?

If that were common we’d remember being born and growing up in an appartment before moving to a house. I don’t.

Edit:

34 not 36

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/average-age-of-first-time-buyers-in-ireland-rises-to-34-1.2675430?mode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 25,941 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

That's wonderful that single people dream of owning a house but you can't expect affordable housing scheme to give the same breaks as couples. The way things usually work is you buy your apartment first & move into a bigger property as you need it. The scheme isn't designed to provide you with what you might need sometime in the future. It's designed to meet peoples needs in the present

So you can have kids, dogs, aging parents ... and not need stoage space, outdoor access or parking. But as soon as ypu get a live-in bed-buddy you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

psinno wrote: »
    How many houses a year did Dublin City Council build in the past, say in the 80s for example? Would you be happy if they did that level of building now? The number I see quoted in articles about this tender is 110,000 houses over a 10 year period. Were they building that much in the past?

Well in 1985 they build appox. 6,500. And it's not so much if I'd be happy with that amount, rather if that amount was enough for the demand at any particular time. I'd hazard a guess if they'd built around that number the last few years the housing crisis would be a lot less severe.

100,000 plus units over the next few years is a lot (if they do manage to come anywhere near that number) but the main issue I have is that the current social hosuing system is dysfunctional, with low rents, massive arrears and anti social behaviour. The systems needs to be reformed IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Hello!!

Have you always been around? Pretty sure the concept of a starter home is a relatively recent one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

That's wonderful that single people dream of owning a house but you can't expect affordable housing scheme to give the same breaks as couples. The way things usually work is you buy your apartment first & move into a bigger property as you need it. The scheme isn't designed to provide you with what you might need sometime in the future. It's designed to meet peoples needs in the present
    Hello!!

Wow, are we back to this line of thinking? Does anybody else not remember what has happened in the last 15-20 years?

Buy an apartment with all your money to get your foot on the "ladder" and then trade up to a bigger house when you have some equity as property prices only go one way :rolleyes:. I'm sure the people living a 90 minute drive from work in an apartment far too small for their family and in negative equity might have something to say about that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,523 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hello!!

And there’s thousands of people stuck in starter homes who can’t afford to move.

You better off going for a long term home

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

People now buy at average 36 34. That also explains why people want to live on their own and not share.

They buy once.

Also how many people in the past bought apartments?

If that were common we’d remember being born and growing up in an appartment before moving to a house. I don’t.

Edit:

34 not 36

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/average-age-of-first-time-buyers-in-ireland-rises-to-34-1.2675430?mode=amp
    So you can have kids, dogs, aging parents ... and not need stoage space, outdoor access or parking. But as soon as ypu get a live-in bed-buddy you do?
    psinno wrote: »
    Have you always been around? Pretty sure the concept of a starter home is a relatively recent one.

I bought a starter home in 1992 & I wasn't the first to buy one. They've been around a good 50 years or so

Affordable homes are to meet your requirements now, not sometime in the future. I wouldn't think it fair a single person getting the same leg up as a couple. A single person in a 3 bed house has more rooms to rent out & this would infact give them a bigger advantage over a couple.

Affordable homes have been around for decades in some form or another. A single person has never been treated the same as a couple nor should they. Single person = one person. Couple = two or more people. Obviously Two or more deserve a bigger leg up than one person.

ted1 wrote:
    You better off going for a long term home

Yes you can do that if you can afford it yourself. The state does not pay for homes too big for your present needs. Same with council house. They don't give a 4 bed to a couple with one child because they plan to have more children. There would be outcry if this were to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 23,523 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I bought a starter home in 1992 & I wasn't the first to buy one. They've been around a good 50 years or so

Affordable homes are to meet your requirements now, not sometime in the future. I wouldn't think it fair a single person getting the same leg up as a couple. A single person in a 3 bed house has more rooms to rent out & this would infact give them a bigger advantage over a couple.

Affordable homes have been around for decades in some form or another. A single person has never been treated the same as a couple nor should they. Single person = one person. Couple = two or more people. Obviously Two or more deserve a bigger leg up than one person.

Do you think families in council homes should be turned out once a child flies the coup and a bedroom becomes empty

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

€175,000 mortgage plus deposit & savings.... should be enough for a two bed apartment in Dublin, no?
    Not unless it's in a sh|thole where the people getting the affordable home would never move to.
    April 73 wrote: »
    Someone on €50k who can get a mortgage for 3.5 times income plus deposit could afford a property at 200k.
    50 * 3.5 = 175
    And it's not 50. It's 50 minus tax. 50 after tax is €36,548.
    36,548 * 3.5 = 127,918
    What would a single person be doing buying a house? Wouldn't an apartment be be more suitable & affordable?
    A one bed apartment has nowhere to store anything.
    The way things usually work is you buy your apartment first & move into a bigger property as you need it.
    Sounds like property ladder bullsh|t from the last boom. In reality, you buy an apartment, and you're stuck with it until it's paid off, as when you try to sell it it'll be worth less than it cost to buy it.
    Hello!!

The 2000's wants their property ladder bullsh|t terms back.
    I bought a starter home in 1992
    For what? €50k? Starter homes inside the M50 start off at €150k, right next to the Cottage Inn. Doubt any of the 2,000 people will want to live there, but it'll be a "starter home" for someone.

=-=

I wonder how many of the 2,000 houses will stay vacant because they're either built in the wrong area, or too far from mammy/school/local pub?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭victor8600

ted1 wrote: »
    Do you think families in council homes should be turned out once a child flies the coup and a bedroom becomes empty

I would think that they should be offered an opportunity to move to a smaller house. I am sure some couples would accept this as the new location can be more suitable for them, or a smaller house / apartment could be a single-story so that they do not need to risk the stairs to go to a bathroom etc.

However, in practice, that would mean that the council forks out the cost of the refurbishment for two houses. Will that be cost effective?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

the_syco wrote:
    50 * 3.5 = 175 And it's not 50. It's 50 minus tax. 50 after tax is

Wrong, 3.5*gross income

Some of the thinking in this thread is mad!
    To me it is perfectly acceptable that a single person on an average wage cannot buy a family home in our capital city. These people are prime candidates to be renting. Any assistance offered to help to buy, affordable housing etc should be offered to couples or families (including single parents) trying to buy properties suitable for their nerds. And I think it makes perfect sense that social housing should not be for like but should vary as the persons circumstances do e.g. children growing up etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Maybe 30 or 40 years but not 50 since my mum has said they didn't exist as a concept when she bought her house [circa 45 years ago]. We probably need a few more data points than 1992 and the mid 70s.

You missed my main point. The average age people buy at now is too old to buy a starter home. It doesn’t work. A decade later a mortgage would be hard to get. You also moved goal posts from apartments to houses.

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Some of the thinking in this thread is mad!
    To me it is perfectly acceptable that a single person on an average wage cannot buy a family home in our capital city. These people are prime candidates to be renting. Any assistance offered to help to buy, affordable housing etc should be offered to couples or families (including single parents) trying to buy properties suitable for their nerds. And I think it makes perfect sense that social housing should not be for like but should vary as the persons circumstances do e.g. children growing up etc

Nobody is saying that single people over 50k should get social housing but that housing in general should be cheaper.

50k is above average as it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

the_syco wrote: »
    Not unless it's in a sh|thole where the people getting the affordable home would never move to.

50 * 3.5 = 175
    And it's not 50. It's 50 minus tax. 50 after tax is €36,548.
    36,548 * 3.5 = 127,918
    Not how it works.

A one bed apartment has nowhere to store anything.
    Should there be no one beds anywhere so? They suit some people

Sounds like property ladder bullsh|t from the last boom. In reality, you buy an apartment, and you're stuck with it until it's paid off, as when you try to sell it it'll be worth less than it cost to buy it.
    Not true

The 2000's wants their property ladder bullsh|t terms back.
    The idea of buying multiple houses in a lifetime isn't that crazy, buy what you can afford now and upgrade if you need to?

ted1 wrote:

A single person will never get a council house. They will only ever get a one bedroom apartment.

You missed my main point. The average age people buy at now is too old to buy a starter home. It doesn’t work. A decade later a mortgage would be hard to get. You also moved goal posts from apartments to houses.

No you are missing the point.

The council, the government, the social welfare, charities etc do not give you things based on your future needs. Never have & never will. You will only ever get help based on your present needs. Anyone expecting otherwise will be sorely disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

hots wrote: »
    Should there be no one beds anywhere so? They suit some people
    One bed apartments near Dublin city centre are usually very expensive when bought new, and are sold at a loss, as the market for one beds is very small. You have one bedroom that often only barely fits a double bed and a wardrobe, a kitchen-dining room, and very little storage. Most one beds that I looked at seemed to be an afterthought thrown together.

Further out, nearer to the M50, some look half decent for €150k.
    hots wrote: »
    The idea of buying multiple houses in a lifetime isn't that crazy, buy what you can afford now and upgrade if you need to?
    Anyone I know that were able to "upgrade" their house to a new one were those that bought during 1995 and before. Most people just put an extension on their current house.

• Advertisement

Nobody is saying that single people over 50k should get social housing but that housing in general should be cheaper.

50k is above average as it happens.

I wasn't saying that either, just I think it's fairly reasonable that a person with a single-income of 50k would not be able to afford a decent family-sized home in the near vicinity of our capital city.

If people earning 50k were able to buy decent family homes near the city centre, think of all the MacMansions we'd have to be building for the couples!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The way things usually work, is by not promoting a property ladder. It's what got us into this over priced housing mess in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

Are these going to be part of / only available to applicants of the current Rebuilding Ireland Home Loan scheme or is this going to be a new scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The council used to have a scheme where if you were working and earning
    under 50k and you were refused a loan,
    You could apply for a council loan on a private house or apartment .
    You picked out the house, if it was under a certain amount you would
    get a loan.
    I don,t know if this is being used by any one now that an ordinary house
    in finglas is now 200k.
    The government and the council owns enough land in dublin to build 70k
    houses .The government and the local authoritys need to set a target ,
    we will build x amount units of social housing every year.
    This would bring down rents .
    Also it reduce the bill for paying hotels to rent rooms to familys ,
    or women with 2 or more children.
    In the past single people or couples would buy an apartment if they wanted to have children they might sell it and buy a house.
    The problem is theres only a small no of houses for sale,in dublin its hard for someone to save 30k deposit , and pay rent every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

mariaalice wrote: »
    A single person earning over 50k and a couple earning over 75k can afford to house themselves.

In dublin? No they really can't tbh.

The way things usually work, is by not promoting a property ladder. It's what got us into this over priced housing mess in the first place.

Starter homes have been around a lot longer than the property boom. People in the 50s & 60s didn't buy 4 or 5 bedroom homes when they only had one child. They bought a 3 bed starter home & moved up as their needs dictated.

Can anyone explain how one person should get the same as two people? It doesn't make sense. Couples or families were always helped out more than single people & they always will be.

As I said earlier a single person wont ever get a 3 bed council house. They will get a one bed apartment because they are only one person. Same person telling the council that eventually will have a partner & children won't wash. Council will tell them to come back when the person has a partner & children.

We really have turned into an entitled society :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The system is woman with one child will get offered a 2 bed apartment.A
    tenant will only get offered a house if she has 2 children.
    The council only build 2 or 3 bed units.
    My friend with one child got a 2 bed apartment after waiting 7 years to get offered anything.
    The council simply do not build 4 or 5 bed house,s .
    Single people would usually buy an apartment because its cheaper ,
    or its easier to get a loan on a new apartment then an old house that may need modernisation or basic repairs .
    IF a couple earn 75k they can save up a deposit,
    banks loan 3 -3.5 times your salary ,
    75 x3= 225k ,
    Theres plenty of house,s going for 200k approx.
    The problem in dublin is the small no of house,s being built , whether its 2 or 3 bed units .
    We need around 20k units to be built every year ,
    i think at the moment its around 5-6k units.

riclad wrote:
    The system is woman with one child will get offered a 2 bed apartment.A tenant will only get offered a house if she has 2 children. The council only build 2 or 3 bed units. My friend with one child got a 2 bed apartment after waiting 7 years to get offered anything. The council simply do not build 4 or 5 bed house,s . Single people would usually buy an apartment because its cheaper , or its easier to get a loan on a new apartment then an old house that may need modernisation or basic repairs . IF a couple earn 75k they can save up a deposit, banks loan 3 -3.5 times your salary , 75 x3= 225k , Theres plenty of house,s going for 200k approx.

The council never built 4 or 5 bedroom houses afaik but they definitely do buy them & they are available to large families. Rare as it is they do have to house very large families with 10 or more kids. They don't do this with 3 bed houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Simona1986 wrote: »
    I wasn't saying that either, just I think it's fairly reasonable that a person with a single-income of 50k would not be able to afford a decent family-sized home in the near vicinity of our capital city.

If people earning 50k were able to buy decent family homes near the city centre, think of all the MacMansions we'd have to be building for the couples!

We don't have a rental infrastructure in place to provide secure long term lets, and the current lack of supply means they'd be paying well over what an actual mortgage would cost anyway. So what are these people to do then? House share for the rest of their lives?

Moving out of Dublin is not an option for a lot of people because quite simply the jobs are in Dublin and there's insufficient public transport. I'd be more than happy to buy a cheap house in the midlands if there was a high speed rail to Dublin, but there isn't.

This isn't the UK where there are multiple major cities to choose from and a massive rail network. Many people in Dublin are stuck with no other options.

• Advertisement

No you are missing the point.

The council, the government, the social welfare, charities etc do not give you things based on your future needs. Never have & never will. You will only ever get help based on your present needs. Anyone expecting otherwise will be sorely disappointed

God almighty. The problem is that all housing i is expensive.

And you’ve clearly ceded the point on the starter house

Advertisement