Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roadworks......roadworks everywhere......

• 06-09-2018 11:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭

What's the story with the roadworks in the county at the minute? Did DCC win the Euromillions recently?

Ballybofey a no go at times, Mountcharles, just off the Lidl roundabout in Donegal Town, the coast road from Glenties to Dungloe, Letterkenny to Kilmacrennan and now Manorcunningham. There's probably more. How has everything been organised to be done at the same time?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭muffler

a necessity obviously but the planning of same leaves a lot o be desired.

Works on the national primary routes would fall under the remit of TII with the council having little or no say on those works especially the funding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I'm going to have to negotiate Manorcunningham every day for the next few weeks and expect it to be a nightmare. At least Kilnacrennan is a project to improve the road. Is Manor, or is it just some servicing? If the latter there's really no point. Letterkenny to Lifford must be the worst N route in the country. It needs a brand new road, not tidying up the current road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Iron bridge in Donegal town closed for 4 months while its replaced

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Manorcunningham and Donegal Town by the roundabout seem to just be resurfacing, I can't recall the surface being noticeably bad along either stretch so a bit strange to be spending money on them when theres other places badly in need of upgrading. The Glenties and Mountcharles sections will be a huge improvement though, the N56 was probably the worst N road in the country before the recent upgrades

There are plans underway at the minute for a new N14 and Ballybofey bypass, think the preferred route for both is to be announced in the next month or two

There are plans underway at the minute for a new N14 and Ballybofey bypass, think the preferred route for both is to be announced in the next month or two
    not before time - badly needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Mountcharles has been spoken about for years, although they could do more work further out that road as well. The road into Dunkineely is a prime example of one that needs resurfacing.

Manorcunningham and Donegal Town by the roundabout seem to just be resurfacing, I can't recall the surface being noticeably bad along either stretch so a bit strange to be spending money on them when theres other places badly in need of upgrading. The Glenties and Mountcharles sections will be a huge improvement though, the N56 was probably the worst N road in the country before the recent upgrades

Is this the resurfacing on the Tullyearl/Clar bypass? Maybe trying the spend the budget, as didn't think much wrong with it my self.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,088 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Be thankful.

It's a little bit of inconvenience for better roads. I'll take that.

If there were no roadworks, we'd be complaining.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Mountcharles has been spoken about for years, although they could do more work further out that road as well. The road into Dunkineely is a prime example of one that needs resurfacing.

Its being done in stages, the next stage is from the Frosses turnoff out past Inver I think. Leitirmacaward to Dungloe also being done once the Gweebarra section is open.
    Is this the resurfacing on the Tullyearl/Clar bypass? Maybe trying the spend the budget, as didn't think much wrong with it my self.

Its at the roundabout where the new Supermacs is, heading towards Sligo theres a long stretch being resurfaced. Tarmac isn't cheap so don't know why they didn't put it towards something more worthwhile

Its at the roundabout where the new Supermacs is, heading towards Sligo theres a long stretch being resurfaced. Tarmac isn't cheap so don't know why they didn't put it towards something more worthwhile

Yes, that was the part I was thinking. Has to be an end of year budget spend.

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Donegal County Council got the biggest allocation of funding of any local authority in Ireland in 2018, hence all the works. However, as Donegal Storm pointed out, there is a lot more to come.

New Northern bypass for Letterkenny, upgrade of the Letterkenny-Manorcunningham DC, Ballybofey/Stranorlar bypass & new N14 from Letterkenny-Lifford all at route selection: www.donegal-ten-t.ie

The remainder of the N56 between the R262/Kilraine junction and Dungloe will be constructed over the next few years. The remaining stretch west of Mountcharles to Inver Bridge will begin next year, in addition to the N56 works at Kilmacrennan.

There are also several projects outside the county of interest going into planning, the new N2 from Ardee to the border, the N3 Virginia bypass, N4 Carrick-on-Shannon bypass and Mullingar-Longford, and Collooney-Tubercurry.

NIMAN wrote: »

If there were no roadworks, we'd be complaining.

jeez get out of here with your common sense talk

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I believe it's the TII (what used to be NRA) that's funding that as Muffler said, as opposed to the CoCo spending their budget. I'm not really au fait on these matters, but I guess that existing surface must be there 10-15 years now and due a resurface before it deteriorates like other roads?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

byte wrote: »
    I believe it's the TII (what used to be NRA) that's funding that as Muffler said, as opposed to the CoCo spending their budget. I'm not really au fait on these matters, but I guess that existing surface must be there 10-15 years now and due a resurface before it deteriorates like other roads?
    Indeed, this is a TII driven scheme. TII's funding in Donegal for 2018 is outlined here: http://www.tii.ie/tii-library/reports-accounts/tii-allocations-2018/2018NAT_DonegalCoCo.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Donegal Town by the roundabout seem to just be resurfacing, I can't recall the surface being noticeably bad along either stretch so a bit strange to be spending money on them when theres other places badly in need of upgrading.
    byte wrote: »
    I guess that existing surface must be there 10-15 years now and due a resurface before it deteriorates like other roads?

There's very little wrong with the existing surface apart from the fact that it doesn't meet skid resistance requirements. That's the only reason it's being done. There's about nine kilometres to do.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

Gigs '25 - Orbital, Supergrass

Does anyone know what the story is with the pipe laying works on Circular Road in Letterkenny? Are they planning on resurfacing the whole road when its finished or is the current surface they're laying the finish product? The part they've relaid is a bumpy and uneven mess so far

Advertisement