Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasgow Warriors vs Munster, Fri 7 Sep 19:35, Eir Sport

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I don’t understand why Carbery isn’t starting. JJH has been tried and found wanting before this season, meanwhile the Irish 22 has to sit on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

Did Rassie sell us a dud?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Fairly clear that Glasgow are weeks ahead of Munster in their season prep...would expect the second half to be much tighter... but don't think a 22 point gap can be reeled in.

turnikett1 wrote: »
    Did Rassie sell us a dud?

The Manchurian Candidate.

And no, Glasgow are actually playing like they are in a cup final here and they are getting a bit of help from Munster.

Munster aren't winning the collisions and mid-field is a shambles between 10 and 13.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Akrasia wrote: »
    At least Glasgow missed one of the conversions

And a very kickable penalty!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

That's a monster pack on the field for Munster now. Up the jumper, maul your way back into it.

And there's the scrum penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Here's Joey - fiver on the comeback @ 50/1!

That's a really tough day for Hanrahan. Hope he shrugs it off.

Odd start from Carbery. First 7 or 8 rucks and he didn't touch it.

• Advertisement

Much better from Munster. Let off for Glasgow. The pack have woken up and are giving some good, quick ball now. Far more bite to them this half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,353 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

That wasn't a high tackle.

Realistically Munster need to score within the next 5 or they are going to be completely reliant on Glasgow badly running out of steam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Its great to finally see Tadgh Beirne in a red jersey

Wycherley wearing a blue scrum cap.

This must be some form of gimmick infringement .

Sorry but that is piss poor play from Munster. They weren't getting anywhere in the tight and should've went to the backs 10 phases prior when there was space.

Absolutely blew that try.

• Advertisement

Hogg waltzed by Carbery there

Stuart Hogg is world class. Getting stepped by him is no shame

I'd be much more concerned about Munster's lack of attacking patterns in there than bashing it up with the forwards. They look poorly coached to me.

How is there no try this half? Game has become a complete free for all.

Thought Munster were a bit lucky on Sweetnam's clearing kick. Couple of the Munster lads made no clear attempt to retreat and impacted on play from about 30m offside.

Beirne as looked good. Not the force he can be but massively industrious and a lovely break there. Carbery bringing a real spark but it's hard to judge things given the kamikaze nature of this half suits him perfectly.

Who are Munster missing for this game. Stander, POM, Cloete, Murray, Conway, Earls, Farrell.. Glasgow are playing almost all their big guns. We were always gonna be up against it in this fixture.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Our coaching staff is our big downfall . Lack of coaching experience big time

• Advertisement

munster players getting pulled to the ground by the neck, no penalty

If the game was in the balance, Glasgow would be furious about that backwards call.

Munster more than deserve the try on the balance of the second half though. They're as dominant in this half as Glasgow were in the first if not more so.

Vinnie222 wrote: »
    Our coaching staff is our big downfall . Lack of coaching experience big time

lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Redo91

That was a blatant knock-on to be fair. Happened right in front of him and all.

Game.

hoping for a LBP now

That's disappointing for Hogg, hope he hasn't tweaked that too badly.

eir need to sort out their clock management, ran for 24 seconds+ there after time was called off.

whitehouse must have a hot date after the game. He isn't stopping the clock for half the stoppages

That's disappointing for Hogg, hope he hasn't tweaked that too badly.
    Got a knock in the first half didn't he? Seem to remember him down for treatment on his legs...

• Advertisement

Patchy few minutes for Carbery. Very hard to judge much on this second half though, he won't play many halves of rugby this season that will be like this.

Munster's pack let them down again. They're good at the bullying stuff to a certain level but lack the smarts to exploit it. The spell when they were camped on Glasgow's line but bashed away rather than spread it to the backs has cost them the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Looked like Beirne played the ball on the ground there?

Glasgow won't be happy not getting the BP.

denying them the bonus point is like us getting a lbp

glass is always half full

Clegg wrote: »
    Munster's pack let them down again. They're good at the bullying stuff to a certain level but lack the smarts to exploit it. The spell when they were camped on Glasgow's line but bashed away rather than spread it to the backs has cost them the game.
    In the first half we had their best team against our development team. In the 2nd half we did a lot better but we couldn't get points on the board.

Munster have a lot more to bring for the return fixture. Munster with our internationals and up to pace, we'll get the TBP and they won't get anything.

Akrasia wrote: »
    In the first half we had their best team against our development team. In the 2nd half we did a lot better but we couldn't get points on the board.

Munster have a lot more to bring for the return fixture. Munster with our internationals and up to pace, we'll get the TBP and they won't get anything.
    You can get your front line players back and probably beat most sides in the Pro 14 and Europe up the the QF/SF. But Munster look and play like a poorly coached side to me. Just as they did last year. I had hoped that in the off season we'd see some improvement in identifying attacking opportunities. But it just looks like more of the same. Handling errors at crucial moments and a forwards oriented game plan that blinkers them to opportunities out wide.

I see Kieran Keane has been giving JVG media lessons!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Buer wrote: »
    I see Kieran Keane has been giving JVG media lessons!

I have a lot of sympathy for JvG after that. The first half was an embarrassment.

• Advertisement

You can get your front line players back and probably beat most sides in the Pro 14 and Europe up the the QF/SF. But Munster look and play like a poorly coached side to me. Just as they did last year. I had hoped that in the off season we'd see some improvement in identifying attacking opportunities. But it just looks like more of the same. Handling errors at crucial moments and a forwards oriented game plan that blinkers them to opportunities out wide.
    No coach tells players to make handling errors. Handling errors happen because of pressure or lack of concentration. In this game, it was pressure. Glasgow have figured out that they can do well in the pro14 by playing their strongest team at the start of the season and build up a lead that drives them into the knockout stages of the competition. It works for the pro-14, but when they get to the European stage, they've been seriously under performing.

Munster are easing into the season, always with Europe as our main focus and the requirement to keep international players minutes to a minimum for welfare and IRFU reasons.

Today we were railroaded in the first half with a very young and inexperienced team against a team of mostly hardened professionals. In the 2nd half we got some of our stars back and played way better. We still have way more left in our arsenal for later in the season.

Ok.

But you still look poorly coached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭mun1

As did Leinster last week. Any team taking a hammering looks poorly coached

Well in this instance Munster are displaying the same problems as last season. Whereas Leinster have a track record of not being crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

Well in this instance Munster are displaying the same problems as last season. Whereas Leinster have a track record of not being crap.

Maybe a pint of water next round?

I have a lot of sympathy for JvG after that. The first half was an embarrassment.

I wouldn't. He picked the team. He prepared them for the game. He needs to take a large amount of responsibility for it. The fact that they turned it around so easily after the break suggests they weren't mentally right in the first half. I see above it mentioned that the team was young and inexperienced in the first half. It really wasn't. That pack was filled with serious players. Kilcoyne, Ryan, Kleyn, Botha, TOD, Holland...tonnes of experience. They just didn't show up and were blown away until they were obviously read the riot act at half time.

I don't think guys like Kiss, MOC or Keane got too much sympathy when their teams were put to the sword. JVG needs to hold his hands up. He was fuming and rightly so but he needs to do something about it now. His record to date has not set the world alight. He has the backing and signings this year to mount a serious challenge on Europe and is going to find himself under the added scrutiny which comes with that.

Just on a side note, I thought Duncan Williams was arguably the best player on the field in the second half. He always gets dogs abuse but he was very good. He attacked the fringes well, passed well and organised well. The only criticism of him I'd have is when he didn't take the ball off his pack when they were camped on the Glasgow line.

• Advertisement

kuang1 wrote: »

Maybe a pint of water next round?
    I'll have whatever the Munster side were having.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

mun1 wrote: »
    As did Leinster last week. Any team taking a hammering looks poorly coached
    You can get hammered and still show plenty to look forward to. Munster had so many one off runners it was embarrasing. Plenty missing for Munster but style of play was terrible.

If only he had some part in how the team lines up and plays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

If only he had some part in how the team lines up and plays.

If only posters didn't suggest I said otherwise...

He looked a bit shellshocked. Apologies if I feel bad for the guy...

If only posters didn't suggest I said otherwise...

He looked a bit shellshocked. Apologies if I feel bad for the guy...

I didn't actually suggest you said anything. What are talking about?

• Advertisement
Advertisement