Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intel 9th Gen

Options
  • 06-09-2018 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭

I'm probably going to upgrade once the 9XXX series come out but the decision has been made harder by the new i5 and i7 configurations. I'm primarily a gamer, but I do run quite a lot of sim software.

Do you reckon I'd be okay with a hexacore i5 or should I go for the octocore i7? I've tended to go for i7s previously.

It would be a must that the chip can hit 5Ghz on all cores, for nothing else other than my OCD. The i7s look to be clocked a bit higher.

Are we expecting new mobos?

Comments

Z390's i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Z390's i think.

I recall reading that they will work on older Z370 boards as well with a bios update but whether you get all the new bells and whistles needs to be confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Holding out for them as well. I remember reading something about backwards compatibility as well but don't know if it was confirmed or not.

Latest rumours were that the 9xxx were due to appear in 10 days or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Venom wrote: »
    I recall reading that they will work on older Z370 boards as well with a bios update but whether you get all the new bells and whistles needs to be confirmed.

Not the way Intel operates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Not the way Intel operates.

Agreed. My guess is the bios update will get the chip running on the older boards but theres no chance of most of the new improvments working.

• Advertisement
Advertisement