Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation for non-cleat shoe-pedal combination

Options
  • 06-09-2018 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

I'd appreciate a recommendation for shoes and pedals for someone who won't use cleats or toe-straps.

I'd like something with a little grip if available: e.g. shoes with grooves or 'thread' in the soles that would give some grip on the pedals.

Also, are there shoe-covers available for same.

Thanks, in anticipation ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

If you don't want cleats then there are plenty of mountain bike style shoes that would work:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/five-ten-freerider-pro-mtb-shoes-2018/rp-prod155173

There are other SPD shoes that actually have a rubber plate to cover the cleat holes and give you a more normal shoe. These options would be a good bit stiffer than normal walking shoes, which is ideal for cycling.

Cleats are great though, if I were you I'd get a pair with an option of adding SPD cleats at some point.

There are also dual/combination pedals for use with the shoes/cleats already mentioned.

Flat on one side for normal shoes and you can clip into the other. Could be worth considering, if you don't like being clipped in then you still have shoes and pedals you can use without clipping into them.

Any reason you don't want to use clipless? I assume you are maybe commuting and have a lot of stop/starting?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Non-cleat shoes with grip? Five Ten.

No other company has come close to matching their 'stealth' rubber compound grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

Any reason you don't want to use clipless?

Wouldn’t risk a fall - osteopenia

Any reason you don't want to use clipless?

• Advertisement

Lemming wrote: »
    Non-cleat shoes with grip? Five Ten.

No other company has come close to matching their 'stealth' rubber compound grip.
    They look good but are pricey

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I use these pedals:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/wellgo-cnc-platform-kb002-flat-pedals/rp-prod105428

They have pins, which grip the soles of your shoes and are a good size.

I usually wear Vans shoes, which combine well with the pedals.
    My feet never slip on them.

I reckon five tens would be even better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I use specialized cadets. Really comfortable in work as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

I have used these in the past http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/zefal-half-toe-clips-45/rp-prod164534

they stop your foot slipping forward and can be used with any shoes. They were great for my son when he started cycling "properly" as he had a tendency to place his feet incorrectly on the pedal and these forced him to have the ball of his feet on the pedals. He progressed to cleats at a later stage.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

TGD wrote: »

Not sure if it affects your ability to twist your foot but cleats shouldn't increase your chances of a fall although I understand your apprehension.

I'd use the pedals recommended by Eamonnater over HTHs ones. If your really worried about being clipped in, it's the better option. Had similar pedals years ago and so long as your not racing, they do the job nicely for commuting or leisure cycling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,962 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

CramCycle wrote: »
    Not sure if it affects your ability to twist your foot but cleats shouldn't increase your chances of a fall although I understand your apprehension.

I've fallen several times because I forgot or failed to clip out in time - this doesn't happen with flat pedals.

This is all very helpful and I have a shoe and pedal combination selected.
    However, what about the overshoes?
    They all seem to tuck well under for cleats and will be quickly shredded by pedal-studs??

I use something very like these when I'm on the run around bike for short distances on a wet day https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vaude-Bike-Overshoe-Gaiters-Long/dp/B0067WE2JA

Bit more elegant would be something like these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/endura-mt500-plus-overshoe-aw17/rp-prod161345

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

TGD wrote: »
    This is all very helpful and I have a shoe and pedal combination selected.
    However, what about the overshoes?
    They all seem to tuck well under for cleats and will be quickly shredded by pedal-studs??

A front mudguard with a flap as low as you can fit will solve that problem

Advertisement