Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The phrase "known to man"...

• 06-09-2018 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

So, I was listening to the lunchtime radio today and a piece about bicycle thefts. Aine Lawlor on RTE Radio 1 was interviewing a guard.

Guard says a good lock for a bike is essential.

Aine goes: "People have bikes. You come up with every type of lock known to"... pause.. starts to say human. Then continues: "I was going to say man.. but... people"

Is the phrase "known to man" one of those phrases that's outlawed now?

Would saying "known to man" put off the female demographic or even worse, it might stop younger women (can I say girls?), thinking they can cycle as well.

IT'S TERRIBLE. What's a human, sorry man, to do. AHHH.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Hupeople down with sexism down with sexism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Any man, woman or child who takes issue with the phrase "known to man" can just fook off tbh. Height of pedantic pandering.

Remember that Canadian soy-boy Trudeau corrected a woman on something similar? Talk about public self-castration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Neil Armstrong during Apollo 11

"That's one small step for [a] man, one giant leap for .... pause.. starts to say human. Then continues: "I was going to say mankind.. but... people".

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

logically wrote: »
    So, I was listening to the lunchtime radio today and a piece about bicycle thefts. Aine Lawlor on RTE Radio 1 was interviewing a guard.

Aine goes: "People have bikes. You come up with every type of lock known to"... pause.. starts to say human. Then continues: "I was going to say man.. but... people"

Would saying "known to man" put off the female demographic or even worse, it might stop younger women (can I say girls?), thinking they can cycle as well.

No, it's not outlawed. It's used all the time without a problem. You're taking one single incident and asking if it's the benchmark moving forward.

I can guarantee you 99.9% of women couldn't give a fiddlers about the term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Oh yeah, it's outlawed alright. Anyone uttering it will be given a forcible sex change and made to marry a dolphin.

What's the world coming to? It's shocking Joe, just shocking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

No, it's not outlawed. It's used all the time without a problem. You're taking one single incident and asking if it's the benchmark moving forward.

I can guarantee you 99.9% of women couldn't give a fiddlers about the term.

Stop making sense and get with the outrage.

Oh yeah if you can say soy-boy, SJW, femanazi or cuck over and over again, that would help too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

The Gard in question needs a good shake and told to cop himself the **** on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

No surprise with all these people indoctrinated with leftist philosophy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

Brainwashed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Patww79 wrote: »
    The Gard in question needs a good shake and told to cop himself the **** on.

Why? What did the Garda do??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Why? What did the Garda do??

Apologies, read it wrong. Aine needs a good shake and a wake up then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

GAA very silent on this.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

This post would make just as much sense if it did not start off with the word So.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Aine goes: "People have bikes. You come up with every type of lock known to"... pause.. starts to say human.
    Are bicycle thiving scumbags considered human now ? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Surely she realises that in this instance it's short for mankind, ie the human race.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Irish Kings

Surely she realises that in this instance it's short for mankind, ie the human race.

I hope you mean peoplekind.

Manholes and manhole covers should be called peopleholes and peoplehole covers.

Also Actresses must be called Actors from now on.

We have to end these scary bigoted misogynistic paternalist sexist terms.

Advertisement