Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wales Vs Rep. Of Ireland, 06 Sep 2018, 7:45pm KO. UEFA Nations League

• 06-09-2018 5:49pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Probably worth a thread on it's own.

I predict a dire affair between too poor teams. Probably be no more than 3 goals, I'll go 1-2 Ireland.

Set pieces all round.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

"That was a bruising campaign with Wales and Denmark but at least we'll get some new opponents next time." - Me, last year, probably.

Like Groundhog Day, here we are again, except this time with a camp low on morale and an inferior talent pool to choose from.

While we may have to call up some Futsal players if Keano falls out with any more of the squad, we appear to be able to put out a full line-up tonight, with rumours suggesting a possible debut for Preston's Callum Robinson. It would be nice to see how he gets on if it happens. Here are the match odds:
    Wales 8/11
    Draw 21/10
    Ireland 4/1

I'd take a draw if offered, but Bale is in such good form at the minute I think he's going to tear us a new one. Add to that the fact Wales want revenge for last year, and the feelgood factor of a new coach in his first big game, and our recent woes, I don't think this bodes well for us.

I reckon at least a 2-0 Wales win. Hope it's competitive at least.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

4/1 is not a bad price, outside Bale, Wales offer very little, although we offer even less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭timbel

Is this on TV?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Be similar to the last two games, either get a 1-0 win or finish a draw. Wales have a new manager who'll probably turn out to be their Stan, more known for shagging his brothers missus than being a football coach. Can see Wales struggling (I hope) and relying even more on Bale to pull off some magic to get results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I am going to guess 1-0 Wales in a terrible game. Hope we at least get to have a look at Robinson and Graham Burke again. The build up around the game feels much more like a friendly than a competitive game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

timbel wrote: »
    Is this on TV?

Sky sports. Or S4C if you can tune in over sattelite free to air. Can do on Sky box in other channels setting for instance. Just Google s4c frequency

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

S4C frequency is 11344 V 27500.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

That was the team on Livescore website. Wrong team though Ferris Bueller there has the right team line ups

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,625 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Predict a 1-0win for ......Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Im going for a 1-0 to Ireland -O Neill may have has his haters and a poor squad at his disposal but I think hes a better manager than Giggs at this level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

So Coleman playing as part of a back 3 and O'Dowda playing behind the front two I guess.

It's a bit of a strange team but I guess MON has pulled a wild card on a few occasions now. Doherty would have been the obvious one in the squad to play as a right wing back surely, also thought Meyler would have started considering he was captaining the team last time around in Wales (?). I wonder is this a sign he is going to favour a 3-5-2 formation in future, I think we definitely have the players for it when fit.

edit: or maybe he is just going with a 4-5-1 and is playing two right backs to double up on Bale.

Looks like a 3-5-2 with Coleman at wb, ideally you'd want Brady on the other wing but he's still out. Lightweight in midfield hence the change in formation I guess.

It's a bit of a strange team but I guess MON has pulled a wild card on a few occasions now. Doherty would have been the obvious one in the squad to play as a right wing back surely, also thought Meyler would have started considering he was captaining the team last time around in Wales (?). I wonder is this a sign he is going to favour a 3-5-2 formation in future, I think we definitely have the players for it when fit.

I hope he does go 3-5-2 because if we're going to be direct then it's better to have two up front.

Doubt it will be a back 3. I reckon something like so:

Randolph

--Coleman
    Duffy
    Clark
    Ward

--Christie
    Hourihane
    Hendrick
    Robinson

O'Dowda

Walters

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Ashley Williams is playing which is good news for Ireland as he's been absolutely awful for a year now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

S4C HD on freesat, screw you rte (even if it is in welsh:D)

Any chance an English language radio channel covering this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

How come this is not on RTE(Irish channels)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

So Robinson, who has played for England at every level from Under-16 to Under-20, is starting for us. Kinda takes the moral high ground away from those gnashing and wailing about Declan Rice.

• Advertisement

So Robinson, who has played for England at every level from Under-16 to Under-20, is starting for us. Kinda takes the moral high ground away from those gnashing and wailing about Declan Rice.

Sush gnashing and wailing for everyone we do not need to be shown some fact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,938 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

its still Ireland playing no matter whos lineing out for us

COYBIG

cant see us winning here but ya never know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Of course. One is playing for us, one is going to be playing for the Brits.

I'll take what we have until such a time as eligibility and passport rules are fixed.

A friendly and Ryan Giggs is around what will Fergi say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Doubt it will be a back 3. I reckon something like so:

Randolph

--Coleman
    Duffy
    Clark
    Ward

--Christie
    Hourihane
    Hendrick
    Robinson

O'Dowda

Walters

Would it not make more sense to put Coleman wide right/right wing-back? Doesn't he offer more going forward than Christie?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

Is this defo on S4C? Not showing up on my epg.

Edit: Yes it is on my epg, in welsh lol

Would it not make more sense to put Coleman wide right/right wing-back? Doesn't he offer more going forward than Christie?

Coleman offers more going forward but Christie is prone to defensive lapses which Coleman wouldn't be. Can't risk that tonight against the dangerous Welsh counters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

How come this is not on RTE(Irish channels)

Because the Nations League is new and its not yet listed here

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/broadcasting-media/regulation/Pages/Designation-of-Major-Events.aspx

I don't know what it takes to get an event listed. Dail Legislation maybe?

thebull85 wrote: »
    Is this defo on S4C? Not showing up on my epg.

Edit: Yes it is on my epg, in welsh lol

It’s on s4c and giggs talking in English but I’d say that’ll be about that

• Advertisement

No RTE or today fm radio coverage

Coleman offers more going forward but Christie is prone to defensive lapses which Coleman wouldn't be. Can't risk that tonight against the dangerous Welsh counters.

Well then you'd wonder why we aren't playing a proper right-sided midfielder instead of Christie. Guess that's why guys on the other thread are saying MON should've gone with Doherty...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

who said he isn't?

I would imagine he is.

That is the first 11, the formation is just thrown together out of the players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We'll be lucky to get anything out of this game. We play an awful brand of football with our CF isolated all the game.

Ask me anything in welsh in 105 minutes :D

vicwatson wrote: »
    No RTE or today fm radio coverage

Commentary on Newstalk

• Advertisement

who said he isn't?

Some 'nice guy' on the Internet. So it must be true....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Hoofball from the first touch. Magic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Embarrassing from the first whistle. Having lads line up at the half-way line to sprint forward to the Wales box for our center half to lump it up to them. Jesus christ when it this dinosaur going to leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Some 'nice guy' on the Internet. So it must be true....

well it appears he was not just nice, but also correct

Feck. We concede an early goal. Lawrence the scorer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

What a start :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Clark fast asleep there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

We make Wales look like world beaters.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Awful awful defending

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

That was very easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

That was a bit too easy.

Hope we are not getting a sneak preview of the next few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,841 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Coupe of times we have got into decent attacking positions and with plenty committed forward and we cannot find a final ball of any quality at all. Disappointing.

Wales first attack and we are picking the ball out of our net. Great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Some whinging here already. Plenty of teams have conceded early in games and recovered. Relax and cheer the team on ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

alta stare wrote: »
    Some whinging here already. Plenty of teams have conceded early in games and recovered. Relax and cheer the team on ffs.

Cheer the team on from our sofas?

alta stare wrote: »

Close the browser, raise up your scarf, and cheer away so. But your surely can't expect many to be positive watching this gowl.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement