Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wales Vs Rep. Of Ireland, 06 Sep 2018, 7:45pm KO. UEFA Nations League

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Dots1982 wrote: »
    A lot of you boys are in for a surprise when O’Neill and Keane go. They achieved decent results with godawful players. The clock is ticking for their reign but if you think Someone is going to come in and achieve results with decent football against good teams with that absolute shower of ****e squad you have another thing coming.

So in other words we should put up with this crap because you feel nobody can improve on it??

The results haven’t been bad, we qualified in one campaign and then lost a playoff for qualification. I know ye don’t like to dwell on this but that’s their record.

That squad of players is dreadful. How can you do anything when Seamus Coleman and Shane Duffy is your biggest goal threat.

It wouldn’t bother me to have O’Neill replaced but we are going nowhere until we unearth a few players who can score goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Players are horrendous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It's all Roy Keanes fault right?

We're back to the phase of the cycle of 'It doesn't matter who the manager is, we won't be any better' nonsense. I'd rather a poor transition period with a new manager that showed some sign of football rather than the stuff being served up at the moment. Instead we'll get the 'O'Neill is doing amazing, we'd be crap with absolutely anyone else' tired stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

A hiding has been coming a LONG time.

I don't blame the players but if it's going to be 3+ then it may as well be 6 or 7 to focus minds on change.

We need desperate change from top to bottom.

Already happened against Denmark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

What is Roy Keane's role for Ireland?

Arsehole

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

O'neill and Keane should have been ****ed off after the denmark hiding .Atrocious management Duo. Turned into a laughing stock

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Is it wrong to hope we get a paddlin here? In the hope mon and Keane go?
    Im actually fearing what might happen against the denmark supermarket team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

The fact that Stephen Ward has 50 caps for Ireland says everything about the calibre of our players.

In fairness Ward has been a very capable Premier League player for most of his career. You are being very harsh on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Apparently managers do literally nothing?? Of course a different manager could get more out of the players.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I don't blame the players but if it's going to be 3+ then it may as well be 6 or 7 to focus minds on change.

Not a long time, Denmark was a hiding.

• Advertisement

RoryMac wrote: »
    With this group of players very few managers could avoid it

Premier league back 4

I call bull****

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

How do the players avoid blame??

They're not coached to misplace passed and lose the ball in stupid positions or invite Bale to cut inside!

The manager is a big issue that needs to be resolved but the quality of our players is a far bigger problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

My main issue with Roy and Martin is the ludicrous wages they are on. Surely someone at the FAI should be asking the question whether we should be investing so much cash into a management time that simply doesn't have the players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Apparently Oneill gives hardly any guidance before matches. Just rubbishy general cliches.

Stealing a living. Get out you clown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

O'Neill and Keane should resign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Give it to Stephen Kenny, given him two years, no matter what the results and give him the chance to develop a proper team because at the moment, we're a fcuking rabble.

edgecutter wrote: »
    My main issue with Roy and Martin is the ludicrous wages they are on. Surely someone at the FAI should be asking the question whether we should be investing so much cash into a management time that simply doesn't have the players.

They are yes men. That answers everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

The results haven’t been bad, we qualified in one campaign and then lost a playoff for qualification. I know ye don’t like to dwell on this but that’s their record.

That squad of players is dreadful. How can you do anything when Seamus Coleman and Shane Duffy is your biggest goal threat.

It wouldn’t bother me to have O’Neill replaced but we are going nowhere until we unearth a few players who can score goals.

Hmmm, how about working on set pieces in training?? That might be a source of a few goals for us, no? But Mr Clough didn’t do that, so neither does Martin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Problem is that the FAI won't be able to afford to sack them, never mind find a half decent team to replace them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The six stages of grief of the Irish football fan...

1. Blame manager's tactics claiming we have quality to do better, i.e. one half-decent player featuring for a lower Premier League or Championship club.

2. Celebrate departure of manager as offering the prospect of a new era of attacking football.

3. Welcome appointment of the new manager, despite said manager having a managerial style similar to the last one, i.e. pragmatic.

4. Cite the strong opening friendly win over average opposition as proof that the team CAN play quality football and as a vindication for departure of previous manager.

5. Bemoan disappointing results against good opposition.

6. Return to step one.

• Advertisement

O Neill strikes me as a lad playing FM on holiday mode

Keane just puts the cones out and gets in arguments , he is a media show pony

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Give it to Stephen Kenny, given him two years, no matter what the results and give him the chance to develop a proper team because at the moment, we're a fcuking rabble.
    That's why you will never be part of the FAI, too much common sense.

Hmmm, how about working on set pieces in training?? That might be a source of a few goals for us, no? But Mr Clough didn’t do that, so neither does Martin.

We score goals from set pieces?

Oneill couldn’t give a bollix. He’s collecting his coin regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Players look shot. No confidence, no clue what they’re meant to be doing. I’m sure they’ll be loving the fact they have to board a plane to Poland to do this all over again.

Apparently Oneill gives hardly any guidance before matches. Just rubbishy general cliches.

Stealing a living. Get out you clown

Yes but he'll tell you he won two european cups and played under Brian Clough...so that should be enough for anyone apparently!

siblers wrote: »
    Problem is that the FAI won't be able to afford to sack them, never mind find a half decent team to replace them

Get Kenny in or Brian Kerr

At least they would have an identity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Wales are chasing us down and pressing us... surely we can do the same but we are not... our first thought is to drop back and stand off at each opportunity... that is actually our tactic

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

To paraphrase Martin himself when he was appointed.

O'Neill is a bad manager, Keane is a bad bad manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

We should be re-named the Faroe Irelands.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Course we are. Who else could mastermind us being 3-0 down to Wales with 40 mins gone in first half?
    The same manager who master minded a win in Cardiff last time these teams met but you don't recognise that.

We do occasionally, imagine if it was something we actually worked on in training!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

siblers wrote: »

gofundme-facebook-pic.png

Such a pity we wont get the Tony O'Donoghue interview at full time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

They're not coached to misplace passed and lose the ball in stupid positions or invite Bale to cut inside!

The manager is a big issue that needs to be resolved but the quality of our players is a far bigger problem

The individual players are not to blame for their limitations.

FAI and management have not brought players through in key positions.

Personally i'd get rid of the aged player and get some of the underage lads in who have done well at that level.

It may cost us a tournament or 2 but at least then we are fcuking building something for the future.

There is NO hope here as things stand.

We will not qualify for Euro 2020.

• Advertisement

We do occasionally, imagine if it was something we actually worked on in training!!

Yes, Duffy would be getting hat tricks if we practiced them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Because they're honest and they give 100% for their country. Nah only joking.

Always amazed me how the players escape criticism. A player takes the cowards way out and hooves the ball forward its always the managers fault. Running around after the opposition is the only thing we demand of our players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

TheCitizen wrote: »
    The same manager who master minded a win in Cardiff last time these teams met but you don't recognise that.

They were without Bale that nignt and we should of won a few games before that like Austria at home and Georgia away

Personally i'd get rid of the aged player and get some of the underage lads in who have done well at that level.

It may cost us a tournament or 2 but at least then we are fcuking building something for the future.

There is NO hope here things stand.

Who exactly? And then we’d drop down the seeding and make it hard to qualify.

Total pie in the sky stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The way that Ampadu knocked Walters off the ball for the third goal summed it up for me. He's 17 and showing more desire and hunger than the entirety of that Irish team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Premier league back 4

I call bull****

And this is why Irish managers generally setup Irish teams so defensively. we see the reaction of fans when he tries to setup a formation to work with what strength... We have f**k all attacking options and yet pundits and fans are calling for us to attack. I don’t see the premier league quality attacking options...

This looks like a team bereft in confidence. On one level I think a new manager might of been best. I think the next 4 years should of been written off to focus purely on finding players and getting Irish teams to play football. Don’t blame O Neil , he’s doing what he does, blame Delaney. Happy to see Ireland scrape by and maybe get a token place in euros. No long term plan or vision.

corny wrote: »
    Because they're honest and they give 100% for their country. Nah only joking.

Always amazed me how the players escape criticism. A player takes the cowards way out and hooves the ball forward its always the managers fault. Running around after the opposition is the only thing we demand of our players.

If you don’t follow the managers instructions, you get dropped. Not exactly hard to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

There is NO hope here things stand.

That I would agree with, there is no quick fix. Sacking MON is part of the solution but it's not going to change much in the short term

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

One has to ask a number of questions......

1. Are MON and RK the problem here, being bad coaches...
    2. Are the players not good enough...
    3. Have the management lost the trust of the team or is there an underlying reason for the players not busting a gut for their country

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

PTH2009 wrote: »
    They were without Bale that nignt and we should of won a few games before that like Austria at home and Georgia away

Wouldn't disagree with any of that.

1. Are MON and RK the problem here, being back coaches...
    3. Have the management lost the trust of the team or is there an underlying reason for the players not busting a gut for their country

On 1

What is your style, how do we play?

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Such a pity we wont get the Tony O'Donoghue interview at full time!

Why not? He not about tonight ?

1. Are MON and RK the problem here, being back coaches...

Back coaches? This isn't rugby.

Why not? He not about tonight ?

He works for RTE, they aren't showing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Who exactly? And then we’d drop down the seeding and make it hard to qualify.

Total pie in the sky stuff.

Nothing to lose. We are going to fall down the rankings anyway.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement