Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wales Vs Rep. Of Ireland, 06 Sep 2018, 7:45pm KO. UEFA Nations League

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

corny wrote: »
    Because they're honest and they give 100% for their country. Nah only joking.

Always amazed me how the players escape criticism. A player takes the cowards way out and hooves the ball forward its always the managers fault. Running around after the opposition is the only thing we demand of our players.
    Exactly we've a bunch of players that do the bare minimum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

He works for RTE, they aren't showing it.

Ah right ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Keane and O Neill two vile yellow belly cowards.

Should resign at half-time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

It's just so septic. Injuries or not, that's juts a dreadful performance, considering we have our 1st choice goalkeeper and defence in place.

There's no plan. Players look clueless and demoralised. Just make it end please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

I dont know what they do on the training ground but ireland have absolutely no options when in possession. Wales play in groups of 3's. When their man gets the ball theres usually an outlet within 5 to 10 yards of the man in possession. Our options is panic and pass it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Who exactly? And then we’d drop down the seeding and make it hard to qualify.

Total pie in the sky stuff.

The seeding doesn’t matter if you are good enough. Generally top two teams will
    Qualify out of a group for most top tournaments now that they are always increasing the numbers for euros and World Cup...

In terms of this Nations league , we might still finish bottom of this group and qualify to the nations league play off final. If wales and Denmark qualify to the tournament we qualify to the play offs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Need Delaney,O'Neill & Keane to all go.

Delaney just wants us to make a major tournament to get more money for the FAI.
    We need to sacifice results short term to try & bring through some younger players & a change in a style of play. Give them the courage & confidence to try to play football & accept mistakes will happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

At least LOI players would show a bit of heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Back coaches? This isn't rugby.

Should have been BAD not back.....fingers faster than the brain

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Ruud Dokter has to go as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,843 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Looking at the 2nd goal in particular and almost the same on the 3rd but the overall intensity of play, players slow or not bothering to track back when we loose possession on the back foot, back 4 constantly exposed.

One has to ask a number of questions......

1. Are MON and RK the problem here, being bad coaches...
    2. Are the players not good enough...
    3. Have the management lost the trust of the team or is there an underlying reason for the players not busting a gut for their country

All of the above and the players are mostly gutless cowards

Can we turn Martin o Neill into bud light?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Should have been BAD not back.....fingers faster than the brain

My apologies. I copped that might have been in after my post...

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Ruud Dokter has to go as well.

This guy has been a disaster what has he brought absloute sh1te

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

corny wrote: »
    Because they're honest and they give 100% for their country. Nah only joking.

Always amazed me how the players escape criticism. A player takes the cowards way out and hooves the ball forward its always the managers fault. Running around after the opposition is the only thing we demand of our players.

When the players do it in every single game under that manager, the manager is at fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

TheCitizen wrote: »
    The same manager who master minded a win in Cardiff last time these teams met but you don't recognise that.

I was at that game and we rode our luck! i was also at the Vienna game when we got a fantastic win but yet done ****all at home! Bar the Germany result in Euro 2016 qualifying people forget the two pathetic performances against Scotland only for a Georgia win against them we were headed for 4th I’ll thank him for that Germany game and Italy but it’s time for him to go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

This has been coming for a long time.

When were you last excited by the prospect of an Ireland game and when did we last play well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Delaney's the one who needs to go but he's the one whose position is safe as houses. More secure in his post than Putin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

The way that Ampadu knocked Walters off the ball for the third goal summed it up for me. He's 17 and showing more desire and hunger than the entirety of that Irish team.

And he could be playing in green

• Advertisement

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    I dont know what they do on the training ground but ireland have absolutely no options when in possession. Wales play in groups of 3's. When their man gets the ball theres usually an outlet within 5 to 10 yards of the man in possession. Our options is panic and pass it back.

We haven't had players that looked for the ball in 10 years, it's like the ball is a time bomb and nobody wants it. Same under Trap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Drumpot wrote: »
    And this is why Irish managers generally setup Irish teams so defensively. we see the reaction of fans when he tries to setup a formation to work with what strength... We have f**k all attacking options and yet pundits and fans are calling for us to attack. I don’t see the premier league quality attacking options...

This looks like a team bereft in confidence. On one level I think a new manager might of been best. I think the next 4 years should of been written off to focus purely on finding players and getting Irish teams to play football. Don’t blame O Neil , he’s doing what he does, blame Delaney. Happy to see Ireland scrape by and maybe get a token place in euros. No long term plan or vision.

This is an attacking team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

If our defence is shot, what else does O'Neill have? The likes of Walters having his purple patch late on in his career was a huge carry for MON, but that is now well over and there's no emphasis in the team at all, and hasn't been for quite a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

In terms of this Nations league , we might still finish bottom of this group and qualify to the nations league play off final. If wales and Denmark qualify to the tournament we qualify to the play offs...

Can't see this team qualifying. Also we don't want to be embarrassed either tbh.

I don't see anything changing between now and the tournament.

RoryMac wrote: »
    We haven't had players that looked for the ball in 10 years, it's like the ball is a time bomb and nobody wants it. Same under Trap

Time for a change then. Bring in a manager that will play that way. Someone that doesn't set up hoofball straight from kick off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I feal sad that my love of international football is near its lowest point , perhaps the Steve Saunton era was the lowest , just wonder will i ever get the love back , from the 80s and 90s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Can’t someone say we need to copy Iceland/Belgium/Wales structure for bringing through players.

I'm actually finding it hard to believe how anyone can defend O'Neill, the players have their share of the blame too.

But down 0-3 at half time to WALES for **** sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Isn’t it absolutely dreadful that Irish football has sunk so low

The glory days seem gone forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Can’t someone say we need to copy Iceland/Belgium/Wales structure for bringing through players.

Need someone running the FAI that cares about more than a pay cheque first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Id say any shot of rice playing for us is gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ozzy78

Have you already forgotten the legend that is Wes Hoolahan? That man single handedly gave every player on the pitch the confidence to look for the ball and to pass on the deck. We need a new Wes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

thebaz wrote: »
    I feal sad that my love of international football is near its lowest point , perhaps the Steve Saunton era was the lowest , just wonder will i ever get the love back , from the 80s and 90s

Oh god. The Staunton era was awful.

Kinda feels like it now. No direction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

And this is why Irish managers generally setup Irish teams so defensively. we see the reaction of fans when he tries to setup a formation to work with what strength... We have f**k all attacking options and yet pundits and fans are calling for us to attack. I don’t see the premier league quality attacking options...

This looks like a team bereft in confidence. On one level I think a new manager might of been best. I think the next 4 years should of been written off to focus purely on finding players and getting Irish teams to play football. Don’t blame O Neil , he’s doing what he does, blame Delaney. Happy to see Ireland scrape by and maybe get a token place in euros. No long term plan or vision.

Exactly right.

Delaney uses Irish managers as a shield to parry criticism his own way. Whenever the pressure gets too great and it seems like Delaney will finally have to face the music, just sack the manager and bring in a new scapegoat to take the flak. Rinse and repeat.

In fairness to Delaney, his strategy is obviously working because most of the fury tonight is being directed at the coaches, rather than the guy that has presided over our gradual slump in quality the past two decades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Three nil down and no changes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Hoof hoof hoof in this half too.
    I bet we'll win the long kick and the high kick competitions.

No changes or subs at half time after that -baffling

Id say any shot of rice playing for us is gone now.

who gives a fcuk

You know things are bad when the cowbell doesn't get a roar!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

Not even a change in formation. FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

And he could be playing in green

His Dad played for Ireland, strange that he has ended up playing for Wales

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Time for a change then. Bring in a manager that will play that way. Someone that doesn't set up hoofball straight from kick off.

Definitely time for a change but until some talent & leadership comes into the team we're f**ked. We have no attacking options or central midfield that can create. We're reliant on our back 4 & goalkeeper to soak up the pressure and try to score from set pieces

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Mick McCarthy still at leisure ?

He and Roy have a habit of taking the job the other left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Fast coming to the conclusion that this is the worst Irish performance in 42 years i’ve watched/attended Irish games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Patww79 wrote: »

Need someone running the FAI that cares about more than a pay cheque first.

I started a thread about a year back saying (just as an idea) that the best way to challenge the FAI was to setup a supporters trust that would charge membership and use all funds to invest directly in Irish capital projects to improve facilities.

I was received like a con man who wanted to rob people of their money.

Maybe we get the domestic league and the football association we deserve.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I started a thread about a year back saying (just as an idea) that the best way to challenge the FAI was to setup a supporters trust that would charge membership and use all funds to invest directly in Irish capital projects to improve facilities.

I'd do anything to help in even the slightest way at this stage. It's absolutely ridiculous that he's allowed to remain in that job for so long and how untouchable he is there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

There needs to be a boycott of the aviva. Empty the place.

Definitely time for a change but until some talent & leadership comes into the team we're f**ked. We have no attacking options or central midfield that can create. We're reliant on our back 4 & goalkeeper to soak up the pressure and try to score from set pieces

No matter quality or lack of it, we can still try and attempt to play the right way. We've seen the likes of Georgia play us off the pitch in recent years. You're telling me we can get it down and play simple five yard passes? As I said, whatever they're doing on the training pitch was indicated by the set up at kick off...hoof ball. Any idiot can play that way. Get someone in who isn't a football dinosaur and who's prepared to back and support his players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Deserve is probably true, when blame is put anywhere else along with incessant defence of a manager with very little left going for him in this role.

I'm actually finding it hard to believe how anyone can defend O'Neill, the players have their share of the blame too.

But down 0-3 at half time to WALES for **** sake.

Is anyone still defending him??

It's obvious his time is up but while the style of football might improve under a new manager the results won't until we have a better group of players

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement