Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wales Vs Rep. Of Ireland, 06 Sep 2018, 7:45pm KO. UEFA Nations League

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Dots1982 wrote: »
    This Stephen Kenny thing? You have to be savvy with the media to pull off the Irish job. There is the mix of high expectations and bad players. Kenny comes across as a bit of a bumbling idiot in front of a mic I’ve always thought.

And O'Neill is good with the media?

He’s better than Noel king. Remember him losing the plot. I would worry for Kenny with the media pressure. It’s not the same as Dundalk or Dunfermline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Unfortunately a lot of Irish fans take their opinions from what they listen to on the radio so media management is a big part of the job.

Some seem to take their opinions from what the manager constantly feeds them as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭mada999

Zico ! wrote: »
    Ya right Kenny gets the job not a hope

aye I know it's not gonna happen but i would welcome it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The only thing that could have brought a bit of pleasure out of this is if RTE were covering it and Tony 'O D interviewed him after the humiliation, show him up for the bully he is again

Is tony def not there ? Sometimes he reports from the venue even if RTÉ aren’t covering it

so Ireland have had 9 put past them in their last 2 games of football and it's not over yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

He’s better than Noel king. Remember him losing the plot. I would worry for Kenny with the media pressure. It’s not the same as Dundalk or Dunfermline.

Leave Kenny in Dundalk.....maybe then in a year or 2 the FAI will just call up the team and save a fortune. Dundalks players put more effort into their European games than the Irish team tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Strumms wrote: »
    What ever happens in the last 20 minutes I think that’s all she wrote... worrying thing is there is no young outstanding candidate, of Irish stock anyway. Still, based on this maybe we need a coach from abroad with no loyalty to anything or anyone apart from getting results

No chance, they won't walk away without a big bag of money and Delaney won't dare to make a decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,115 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Maybe being Kenny in as a number 2 with someone like Chris Houghton or Mick McCarthy (personally would not like him back as it could tarnish his legacy a bit)

To be fair I'd like to think the supporters would lower their expectations a little and rightly so...

i've always said "fans blow with the wind, but supporters support the team"..seems to be true especially with the demand for tickets at tournaments when half of them wouldnt be seen at Landsdowne road...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

That Williams looks a good prospect. At least O'Neill is giving some youth a chance. He may as well considering this game and likely competition is gone.

Oh no wait he's 32 next month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

MD1990 wrote: »
    Need Delaney,O'Neill & Keane to all go.

Delaney just wants us to make a major tournament to get more money for the FAI.
    We need to sacifice results short term to try & bring through some younger players & a change in a style of play. Give them the courage & confidence to try to play football & accept mistakes will happen.

I tried explaining the whole 'sacrifice the short term to be better long term' approach on here 2 or 3 years ago and was slaughtered for suggesting I hope Ireland lose games with some actually questioning my national pride...

The average fan has no interest in that nor does Kim John-un who will never leave the job. The next appointment will be as bad and short sighted as the last. Time to just accept things will never improve at international level and continue to deteriorate unless we manage to produce a serious batch of players from the league over the next 5-10 years, which is highly unlikely as you know yourself.

mada999 wrote: »

To be fair I'd like to think the supporters would lower their expectations a little and rightly so...

i've always said "fans blow with the wind, but supporters support the team"..seems to be true especially with the demand for tickets at tournaments when half of them wouldnt be seen at Landsdowne road...

I think if things went badly they’d be saying who has this guy managed that he deserves the Irish job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Maybe being Kenny in as a number 2 with someone like Chris Houghton or Mick McCarthy (personally would not like him back as it could tarnish his legacy a bit)

Chris Hughton would be my choice but why on earth would he want to leave Brighton and club management for this?

:cool: would love to see Houghton as manager.. i'd take McCarthy back too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

This is a fucķing embarassment.

A new low for Irish football.

Irish football needs a complete root and branch overhaul. Delaney needs to be fucķed out of the FAI immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,660 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Not sure people are fully prepared for the fact that Keane probably gets the job if O'Neill goes. We will about 5 players willing to play for us by Christmas.

Suggesting Kenny leave the day-to-day coaching of a club side to be the Irish #2 is ridiculous and hopefully something he wouldn't consider for a second. He's better than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,620 ✭✭✭eigrod

Absolutely appalling stuff

Oat23 wrote: »

Suggesting Kenny leave the day-to-day coaching of a club side to be the Irish #2 is ridiculous and hopefully something he wouldn't consider for a second. He's better than that.

That’s probably his level though. He’d be a great appointment to the under 21s but he’s likely out of depth at senior manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

You'd be blessed to get Chris Houghton. Can't see him leaving his current job. I've been sensing that the end is near for MON/RK for a while now. People seem to have grown tired of their style of football. If you lose to Poland and NI, do you think that'll be the end of it all?
    CSF wrote: »
    Not sure people are fully prepared for the fact that Keane probably gets the job if O'Neill goes. We will about 5 players willing to play for us by Christmas.

Can't see that happening. He keeps falling out with players as an assistant, imagine what he'd be like as the main man.

• Advertisement

oh wait Tyler Roberts of Leeds walks right through us like messi and nearly scores... but wait... he plays for Leeds... not a PL team

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I can't see that happening, two years ago, nailed on, but not now.

Interestingly on one of the LOI podcasts Shane Supple mentioned he wasn't too impressed with the Ireland set up when he got his call up. This from a part timer, not a superstar, that should tell a story in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

You just know afterwards Mon is gonna cling to the fact that we drew the second half one all.

If it does finish that way!

That’s probably his level though. He’d be a great appointment to the under 21s but he’s likely out of depth at senior manager.

How do you know that? What exactly is the 'depth' at managing this country at the moment? He might possibly be, but any appointment can be possibly bad/good. He's a very different kind of manager, that's why he should be at least considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Not a hope

I would be done with the team if that arsehole took over, he is as tarnished as O Neill

Keane is a dancing media monkey, a has been

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Supposing we get stuffed in Poland next week then lose to Denmark and Wales in October, which is a realistic prospect, what happens then? Will the FAI wait until qualifying starts and we lose another couple of games before sacking him? It's going to be a long, hard winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

Being a number 2 for Ireland is a much much bigger job than coaching in the LOI. Also he'd probably get a massive pay rise.

Would you guys consider someone like Big Sam? Managed in Ireland before. Very good coach, he'd get you organised, motivated and winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Berserker wrote: »
    Would you guys consider someone like Big Sam? Managed in Ireland before. Very good coach, he'd get you organised, motivated and winning.

Sideways step at best but can't be any worse than this shower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Low lie, The Fields Of Athenry...

Bet all the post-match stuff from O'Neill will be about the second-half 'reaction' and how they drew it 1-1.

Why do you say he's good enough for the U21s but out of his depth for the senior team?

The way even we fans rate international managers needs to change. Stop looking at reputation and look at coaching ability and his philosophy. For years Dundalk have been the best side to come to the showgrounds by a long shot. He's a great coach who knows football. There's no other guy out there Ireland could get that would be as good a hire in my opinion.

All that said you cannot polish a turd. A lot of things need to change apart from the senior manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

They deserve a fifth

Low lie, The Fields Of Athenry...

Low lies the state of Irish football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

This performance reflected in one picture

john-delaney-pub-si

• Advertisement

Being a number 2 for Ireland is a much much bigger job than coaching in the LOI. Also he'd probably get a massive pay rise.

Well he's not an assistant manager, he shouldn't even consider it. Some people are forever assistant managers wherever they are, I very much doubt Kenny would go there as one. As for bigger job, I don't think I'd agree, it's not just 'coaching in the LOI', it's manager of a very successful LOI home and abroad.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    You just know afterwards Mon is gonna cling to the fact that we drew the second half one all.

If it does finish that way!

An away goal too.

Another short sighted appointment. You're right that he'd get the side playing as a unit and they'd likely achieve more than they should.

But again you're papering over the cracks.

Delaney will probably be after him though. Exactly the type of manager he'd want.

Roy Keane continuing his long history of taking teams to turmoil and unrest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Defo worth a punt. Couldn't be worse than what we have seen tonight:pac:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,984 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

MON is probably on the bench trying to figure out if saying "i thought it was last goal wins" is an appropriate excuse.

It's hilarious people blaming Keane for it. Falling out with a player that a lot wouldn't even have in the team anyway. Out of the 3 head guys (Delaney, O'Neill, Keane) he's the least culpable by a long way.

Another short sighted appointment. You're right that he'd get the side playing as a unit and they'd likely achieve more than they should.

But again you're papering over the cracks.

Ok but if you did that in tandem with the reforms, you'd still qualify and you'd also build for the future. What is needed or who needs to be removed, to progress with the rewards. Is it just Delaney?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Wales have been phoning it in since the 4th goal. Could have been a lot worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Probably worth a thread on it's own.

I predict a dire affair between too poor teams. Probably be no more than 3 goals, I'll go 1-2 Ireland.

Set pieces all round.

Won't be coming to you for the lotto numbers bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Bet all the post-match stuff from O'Neill will be about the second-half 'reaction' and how they drew it 1-1.

Somewhere I'd imagine Tony O'Donoghue is probably breathing a sigh of relief that he doesn't have to interview him.

Funny how searching TO'Ds name gives you MO'N as the main pic :pac:

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Wales have been phoning it in since the 4th goal. Could have been a lot worse.

I didn't want to post that but you are correct. They could have scored five or six tonight. Giggs thinks he the dogs b*** now. I'd still fancy you to turn them over in a big game. They are a bunch of bottle-jobs.

Ok but if you did that in tandem with the reforms, you'd still qualify and you'd also build for the future. What is needed or who needs to be removed, to progress with the rewards. Is it just Delaney?

Delaney and the rest of them are the big problem.

If you hire someone like Allardyce and he manages to do what he usually does there's no way anything else changes. It's only when the senior team is absolutely awful with no chance of qualifying for tournaments that you will see any real change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Big Sam would go the way of Trap and MON. Initial success followed by an eventual painful split with people bemoaning the style.

Nothing will change as long as the governing body of the sport are run by the same chancers. As Einstein put it, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

We either demand a complete overhaul of how the game is run - which requires a mass mobilised boycott of tickets, buying jerseys etc. - or we accept that we are leaving the sport in the hands of a man that has absolutely no vision for what the sport should be in the country.

It will obviously be the latter. You can see it on this thread and elsewhere with people thinking sacking the management will be the panacea. In reality the management is tip of the iceberg stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

We'll see how good Wales are against Denmark on Sunday. They have decent young players in that team. As for us, we are atrocious.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement