Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wales Vs Rep. Of Ireland, 06 Sep 2018, 7:45pm KO. UEFA Nations League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,661 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Corholio wrote: »
    It's hilarious people blaming Keane for it. Falling out with a player that a lot wouldn't even have in the team anyway. Out of the 3 head guys (Delaney, O'Neill, Keane) he's the least culpable by a long way.
    Arter walks into that team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Now that Denmark have solved all their problems and won't need to call up their futsal team, is there any chance we can have a look through them and see if we can find an Irish granny or two?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭ebbsy

CSF wrote: »
    It's hilarious people blaming Keane for it. Falling out with a player that a lot wouldn't even have in the team anyway. Out of the 3 head guys (Delaney, O'Neill, Keane) he's the least culpable by a long way.

And that says it all.

My aunt would make that team, and she's six foot under.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

That performance transcended team selection. More worrying than the scoreline was that looked like a bunch of players who couldn't give a fook. Endgame.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Arter walked out

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Wonder what positives O Neill will make up-probably say some sh1te like I thought young robinson did well for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Players don't want to play for the team.

A demoralised group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

No shows for games at the Aviva is the only real solution. Hit them in the pocket. For too long we've been paying Premiership level ticket prices to watch Championship fare, now we're heading into League 1 level stuff. An overhaul of the FAI is required - they're still dining out on the 'glory years'.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Arter walked out

So did Keane and now look where he is.

• Advertisement

Declan Rice' choice:

England or that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

We're hitting terminal decline whether Delaney, MON or Keane are still there or gone

No production line of young talent coming through, no identifiable late-bloomer talent coming through the LOI, decent servants hitting international retirement age territory, decent granny-rule players turning their backs on us.... all adding up to a very grim decade ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Ya I would agree, he seems to be another one of these players that some fans have a bizarre dislike to because he was seen to be taking a while to play for Ireland.

Ohmeha wrote: »
    We're hitting terminal decline whether Delaney, MON or Keane are still there or gone

No production line of young talent coming through, no identifiable late-bloomer talent coming through the LOI, decent servants hitting international retirement age territory, decent granny-rule players turning their backs on us.... all adding up to a very grim decade aheag

You're talking out your hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

fyfe79 wrote: »
    No shows for games at the Aviva is the only real solution. Hit them in the pocket. For too long we've been paying Premiership level ticket prices to watch Championship fare, now we're heading into League 1 level stuff. An overhaul of the FAI is required - they're still dining out on the 'glory years'.

A walk out would be far better. A real statement. Do you have the resources to arrange something like that as a fanbase?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Ryan Manning, Greg Cunningham, Harry arters , derrick williams, darragh lenihan, conor masterson not in the squad.

POOR.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Banjaxed82 wrote: »

Its a shame how we cant have a decent conversation around here without people like you making comments like that

Ryan Manning, Greg Cunningham, Harry arters , derrick williams, darragh lenihan, conor masterson not in the squad.

POOR.

Doherty stuck on the bench with Christie playing.

A 35-year-old Walters, who has played one game this season, sent out to try and lead the line against a young and mobile defence.

POOR.

I really think Maguire and Hogan could be lethal on the counter

Mr.H wrote: »
    Its a shame how we cant have a decent conversation around here without people like you making comments like that

We can't have a decent conversation because he made ridiculous, illinformed comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,651 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What is his role?
    What does he do with the team?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Declan Rice' choice:

England or that

Even putting your feet up for the week and resting is a better option than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

POOR.

Sorry smelly but their all sh1te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

Ya I would agree, he seems to be another one of these players that some fans have a bizarre dislike to because he was seen to be taking a while to play for Ireland.

It's hardly bizarre to take a dislike to someone who hums and haws over playing for Ireland.

It's hardly bizarre to take a dislike to someone who hums and haws over playing for Ireland.

After watching that, I'm not sure I'd want to play for them.

• MON has to go

Embarrassing stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭lassykk

I wish we'd been playing the Danish amateurs instead of Wales to see how much they'd beat us by

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Jesus the last Welsh goal was a disgrace.

Say what you will about the management and the FAI but the players themselves should be savaged for displaying such a poor attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Would be really interested to see a poll on MON/RK to stay or go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

A 35-year-old Walters, who has played one game this season, sent out to try and lead the line against a young and mobile defence.

This is really the most damning thing. I mean, fair play to Walters - great servant for Ireland - but he shouldnt be in the team. What the fucķ is going on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,006 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I don’t think he is, ok that was a completely sub par performance but are you prepared to list off a group of up and coming young players who should be involved either now or shortly in the set up ?

• Advertisement

Walters got physically shoved off the ball by an 18 y/o.

Can't be right, surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭mada999

Berserker wrote: »
    Would you guys consider someone like Big Sam? Managed in Ireland before. Very good coach, he'd get you organised, motivated and winning.

nope more of the same.... he would definitely stick with the oldish players..

get someone in who has some kind of vision.. pick the best players who you would play well in your system and coach the team the same system ... the young Welsh lads looked hungry and pressed us into the ground..Wales have a smaller population than us as well.. Wales looked as if they were coached in a possession game.... leaves us in the dust looking for percentage long ball..

We can't have a decent conversation because he made ridiculous, illinformed comment.

You do not need to agree with his comment. But instead of slagging him off, why not put forward why you think differently?

I can see why a lot of people wouldnt feel there are players coming through. That is not because people dont know what they are talking about or are "talking out their hole". Its because MoN doesnt give those players a chance.

Tonight we gave a 2nd cap to a 31 year old who is 32 before our next group game. MoN gave a 2nd cap to a 28 year old.

I just dont understand why we are not using the young lads we do have on the way up.

Dont get me wrong I like Walters. But he is 34 and we know what he brings. Why not try some young lad and we still have the option of calling up Walters for real competition if we needed. By playing Walters it does nothing. It doesnt help youth and it doesnt help the future. He will be 38 after the next WC! 38. He will not be playing for Ireland by then so why not give his replacement time to get experience?

You do not need to agree with his comment. But instead of slagging him off, why not put forward why you think differently?

I can see why a lot of people wouldnt feel there are players coming through. That is not because people dont know what they are talking about or are "talking out their hole". Its because MoN doesnt give those players a chance.

Tonight we gave a 2nd cap to a 31 year old who is 32 before our next group game. MoN gave a 2nd cap to a 28 year old.

I just dont understand why we are not using the young lads we do have on the way up.

Dont get me wrong I like Walters. But he is 34 and we know what he brings. Why not try some young lad and we still have the option of calling up Walters for real competition if we needed. By playing Walters it does nothing. It doesnt help youth and it doesnt help the future. He will be 38 after the next WC! 38. He will not be playing for Ireland by then so why not give his replacement time to get experience?

100% get the best of the youth in and bed them in for a few years..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Declan Rice' choice:

England or that

One could also say that we might not have conceded as much had he taken up the offer

corny wrote: »
    Jesus the last Welsh goal was a disgrace.

Say what you will about the management and the FAI but the players themselves should be savaged for displaying such a poor attitude.

i'd say they are sick of the instructions they are given...from the kick off the plan was to hoof it up... and we got caught too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

It's not something that I can see people arguing firmly against either.

From this squad and our most recent call-ups from our last outings, only 2 players have been younger than 23. Rice and O'Hara. Wales on the other hand had 16 players.

That's only one team but it is a huge contrast.

vicwatson wrote: »
    One could also say that we might not have conceded as much had he taken up the offer

Its very true. Its a shame he doesnt want to be in the team because I really think he could be a top player and someone we could build a proper Richard Dunne type defence around. We could even play him as a defensive mid and he could protect the back 4. Huge loss but to be fair you cant blame an English player wanting to play for England

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Ampadu is going to be a decent player,only 17 and tore us apart. Our loss is the Welsh gain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Bring back Trapp!

Its very true. Its a shame he doesnt want to be in the team because I really think he could be a top player and someone we could build a proper Richard Dunne type defence around. We could even play him as a defensive mid and he could protect the back 4. Huge loss but to be fair you cant blame an English player wanting to play for England

He’s an English born player that has recently got cold feet about staying with the country he was with since a youth. That is all for the moment. He’ll be getting his first competitive cap for Ireland within the month. Watch and see.

He's always nice as pie to these Sky Sports lads. Doesn't want to dirty his bib in England, does Martin.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Bring back Trapp!

What? Had he left?

mada999 wrote: »
    100% get the best of the youth in and bed them in for a few years..

I agree too, but the situation has been allowed degenerate to the point where im not sure the available youth are good enough, the grassroots situation is appaling. We need to have academies being funded at the LOI clubs and kids being taught how to play the right way. Even if this is started now, it will be many years before it bears any fruit.

We are relying on English clubs to take the best of our kids and develop them. But thay said, if players like Masterson at Liverpool are making it in to Champions League squads, why is he not involved with Ireland?

To be playing Walters in this is a sad indictment. We are squeezing every last drop of blood out of players like him, and O'Shea, Keane etc. before him, instead of looking to the future. No disrespect to Hogan but he's not good enough either and is only coming to international football now, towards the end of his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

POOR.

Arter aside, thats nonsense. Who would you have dropped to accommodate these?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

By all means move the deckchairs on the Titanic around. The reality is that we have the weakest playing pool since the Liam Tuohy, and our results will inevitably reflect that. Beating Denmark and qualifying for the World Cup would have been a herculean achievement on behalf of all involved.

I'm resigned to a long period of underachievement. The players simply aren't good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,661 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Looks as though this will be written off as solely down to the players missing. Future looks very bleak.

He's always nice as pie to these Sky Sports lads. Doesn't want to dirty his bib in England, does Martin.

Im not sure that's fair. I remember him getting pretty thick on British TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,967 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Isn’t it absolutely dreadful that Irish football has sunk so low

The glory days seem gone forever.

I think they are better off picking the best of the League of Ireland and stick with them for four years.

Will give the league more exposure, will get fellas who have pride, passion and give a sh*t.

John Toshack blooded a load of new welsh young lads back around 2006-2010.
    Ireland has to do the same.

Young Irish fellas are needed who want to play for the country and stick with them until they gel.

It can't get any worse.
    Give the league of Ireland lads a go.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I agree too, but the situation has been allowed degenerate to the point where im not sure the available youth are good enough, the grassroots situation is appaling. We need to have academies being funded at the LOI clubs and kids being taught how to play the right way. Even if this is started now, it will be many years before it bears any fruit.

We are relying on English clubs to take the best of our kids and develop them. But thay said, if players like Masterson at Liverpool are making it in to Champions League squads, why is he not involved with Ireland?

To be playing Walters in this is a sad indictment. We are squeezing every last drop of blood out of players like him, and O'Shea, Keane etc. before him, instead of looking to the future. No disrespect to Hogan but he's not good enough either and is only coming to international football now, towards the end of his career.

He's 26 ffs. The amount of ill informed drivel on this thread is a real eye opener

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement