Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

children and car pollution

• 06-09-2018 5:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭

you might think me whacky (no surprise there) but do you think when you are walking children or pushing them in a buggy along a main road with traffic going along it that you should put some kind of mask over their mouth and nose to help shield them from car traffic exhaust fumes? - just remember they are closer to the pavement/roads than you are and near on level at a car exhaust outlet that you would be and they will be breathing in all this pollution that will eventually end up in their bloodstream . - have you any ideas what could prevent them breathing in the fumes?

Come to think of it you dont see that many old fashioned prams these days do you with the big wheels you see more buggy's these days but the old fashioned prams are higher up so would be better I would have thought.

its one of those thought provoking things though I think...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

What they're breathing in nowadays is vastly better than a few decades ago, when exhaust emissions contained many more pollutants and in higher concentrations. This was coupled with coal smoke and industrial emissions at the time. The air kids walking to school (the few that do actually walk) are breathing is better air than their parents and grandparents breathed when they almost certainly walked to school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

What they're breathing in nowadays is vastly better than a few decades ago, when exhaust emissions contained many more pollutants and in higher concentrations. This was coupled with coal smoke and industrial emissions at the time. The air kids walking to school (the few that do actually walk) are breathing is better air than their parents and grandparents breathed when they almost certainly walked to school.

It might be better quality air but it's still highly polluted. Look at the BBC a few months ago where they did air quality tests and all the roads used for school runs were highly polluted. It's even worse for the kids of hipsters on bikes with the kids in trailers right at exhaust level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

true - nether though of that .. yeah its not ideal/perfect but it is better these days indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,081 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Del2005 wrote: »
    . It's even worse for the kids of hipsters on bikes with the kids in trailers right at exhaust level.

Yes, highly irresponsible of the hipsters to not add to the air pollution, like everyone else!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I often think, whilst walking my dog around town. Am I doing myself and my dog more harm than good? With all the cars and trucks wizzing past as I take my daily walk. Then in the winter it’s even worse. The air thick with chimney smoke.

• Advertisement

mad muffin wrote: »
    I often think, whilst walking my dog around town. Am I doing myself and my dog more harm than good? With all the cars and trucks wizzing past as I take my daily walk. Then in the winter it’s even worse. The air thick with chimney smoke.

indeed - another thing I didnt think about , dogs are so near to the pavement they will be breathing it in directly (whats it carbon monoxide out of exhaust isnt it along with other toxins) - but i dunno how successful putting a mask on a dog would be!

very acrid smell in the winter with the mixture of smokey coal and turf and low lying fog ... better to stay inside, better air quality!

true - but the roads are more congested these days than ever and much more than in the old days --- there were more trees and hedges to soak up the fumes and people these days are ripping out trees and hedges and plants to pave over for drives etc ... - it all counts i suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,679 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I switched to Toyota Auris Hybrid because of the children!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Yes, highly irresponsible of the hipsters to not add to the air pollution, like everyone else!

This is about pollution and children and putting a child in a trailer for a commute true traffic is bad for the children. So while they are producing loads of smug by cycling their child is breathing highly polluted air.

So yes they are improving the environment by cycling, but they are exposing their children to unnecessary pollution.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,989 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Let's quarantine them all in Togo

Has the added benefit of quietening things down a bit - certainly in this household

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I used to think this all the time with my 2 eldest when they were little and I'd walk them to play school. There was always a line of traffic the whole way which was about 2kms. It was disgusting.
    Then I bought a car and found out that the fumes are worse inside the car because outside they'll at least blow away whereas in the car they build up..
    Go figure..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,051 ✭✭✭✭josip

Worse in cars than on bikes according to 1 study done by the Beeb.
    https://road.cc/content/news/218655-air-pollution-worse-drivers-cyclists-same-bath-road

cbyrd wrote: »
    I used to think this all the time with my 2 eldest when they were little and I'd walk them to play school. There was always a line of traffic the whole way which was about 2kms. It was disgusting.
    Then I bought a car and found out that the fumes are worse inside the car because outside they'll at least blow away whereas in the car they build up..
    Go figure..

blimey - if people have fumes inside their car they either have a leaking exhaust and a hole in the floor allowing the gasses to come into the car - .... or they are not brainy enough aware to close the windows and put the heater/ventilation system to (and all cars have this button) press the re-circulation button so it doesn't take in the air from the outside, but instead re-circulates the air inside the car!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You have diesel car owners removing the DPF from the car resulting in massive emissions coming from their car, the NCT in this country currently does not check for DPF removal unlike the UK who brought in testing for it this year. The UK also have widespread use of Adblue emulators in trucks wherebye the trucks ECU is tricked in to thinking the truck is using Adblue to reduce emissions, they police this in the UK, I've not heard of a single case of any enforecement of it here.

I suppose at the end of the day in this country big business comes before peoples health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,051 ✭✭✭✭josip

... or your not brainy enough ...

Andy, you wrote that tongue in cheek, didn't you?

josip wrote: »
    Andy, you wrote that tongue in cheek, didn't you?

yeah - course :)

Advertisement