Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTYSTE-statistical analysis aid

Options
  • 06-09-2018 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi,

Had students get to young scientist finals last year and they went well, first time for school and myself so were going into it blind.

The students spent ages on a literature review section but when we got there we identified that we had overestimated it's importance, and that everyone's statistical analysis section was far more detailed than ours.

Does anyone know of any decent free/affordable statistics programmes out there where we can just plug in the raw data? I'm a maths teacher so could probably guide them but it seems seriously time consuming and I'm a bit daunted by the prospect of it.

Many thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭doc_17

Hi,

Had students get to young scientist finals last year and they went well, first time for school and myself so were going into it blind.

The students spent ages on a literature review section but when we got there we identified that we had overestimated it's importance, and that everyone's statistical analysis section was far more detailed than ours.

Does anyone know of any decent free/affordable statistics programmes out there where we can just plug in the raw data? I'm a maths teacher so could probably guide them but it seems seriously time consuming and I'm a bit daunted by the prospect of it.

Many thanks for reading.

It’s their project. Don’t be worrying too much about it. Guide them but let them do the heavy lifting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

What's wrong with excel?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭therunaround

Excels a bit clunky to use, for younger students who aren't used to it. Something that would produce a report if you know what I mean. I won't be doing it for them at all, which is why I think this type of package would be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pinkbear

My students and my school have had lots of success in Young Scientist over the years, and we've never used anything more than Excel for statistical analysis. I've been to YS lots of times, and I'm not really aware of anyone using anything more. I've had 2nd years manage very nicely with Excel.... if they're bright enough to get to YS, I can't see them having difficulty with Excel. (With that said, if you find something that works well for you, please share the info!)

Advertisement