Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Large Nigerian gang in Ireland involved in worldwide money laundering

• 07-09-2018 7:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭

You might have seen in the news yesterday the story about the large Nigerian money-laundering network operating in Ireland. It was the scope of the operation that surprised me.

A Nigerian national living in Ireland was the leader of the gang and he recruited over 100 fellow Nigerian nationals in Ireland to launder money which has been stolen in invoice redirection frauds from companies in Ireland and all around Europe. 15 homes in 5 counties across the country were raided by over 100 Gardai and high-priced items like Nissan X-Trail SUVs were removed from these premises. Gardaí have asked the banks in Ireland to close around 350 accounts suspected of being used in the fraud.
    When describing the suspects in the case, the Garda Superintendent said that "Some of these people are working, some are on social welfare."

There are a number of questions to be asked when you read about the details of the case, for example, why were they no arrests made knowing that the Nigerian suspects who could easily abscond, and what is the situation with the Irish bank accounts of the non-nationals?

Watching the 6.1 RTE news yesterday, there was not one mention of the word "Nigerian/Nigeria"; they kept saying West African gang. I wonder if it is the same on the RTE website? I gave up on that site a long time ago because of their weird bias on news.
    More information on the story can be found here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

The last thing we need is a 100 Nigerian Princes banged up, costing us a fortune. Deport them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Hitler racists the lot of ya.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

None of the west African taxi men I have had the misfortune of being a passenger of had a Nissan X trail unfortunately. Normally its a 98 Toyota corolla that stinks to high heaven and has African Christian gospel music playing on the CD player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

I would say deport anyone found guilty also but not in this country. Going to cost the tax payer a small fortune in free legal aid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

If you move to our country and are being a bold boy or girl.

You get a 1 way ticket to whereeverthefcukville.

Out ye shams!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,005 ✭✭✭enricoh

Earlier this year, the Minister for Justice, Charlie Flanagan confirmed that the budget for direct provision accommodation will increase to €66 million this year.

This coincided with a 62% increase in people seeking asylum seeker in the first quarter compared to the corresponding period in 2017.

^^ every little helps! Now work a bit harder n pay plenty of tax so we can afford to give all of the above a gaff. N one or two more when the family reunification takes place.
    Rte n AAA/pbp need an endless loop between now and the budget about the housing crisis to ensure every penny goes towards housing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

Kivaro wrote: »
    You might have seen in the news yesterday the story about the large Nigerian money-laundering network operating in Ireland. It was the scope of the operation that surprised me.

A Nigerian national living in Ireland was the leader of the gang and he recruited over 100 fellow Nigerian nationals in Ireland to launder money which has been stolen in invoice redirection frauds from companies in Ireland and all around Europe. 15 homes in 5 counties across the country were raided by over 100 Gardai and high-priced items like Nissan X-Trail SUVs were removed from these premises. Gardaí have asked the banks in Ireland to close around 350 accounts suspected of being used in the fraud.
    When describing the suspects in the case, the Garda Superintendent said that "Some of these people are working, some are on social welfare."

There are a number of questions to be asked when you read about the details of the case, for example, why were they no arrests made knowing that the Nigerian suspects who could easily abscond, and what is the situation with the Irish bank accounts of the non-nationals?

Watching the 6.1 RTE news yesterday, there was not one mention of the word "Nigerian/Nigeria"; they kept saying West African gang. I wonder if it is the same on the RTE website? I gave up on that site a long time ago because of their weird bias on news.
    Nothing wrong with genuine immigration but the people who shout the most for this "Cultural enrichment " are the ones who are sealed off the most. Ask Bob Geldoff has he taken in his share like he preached he would?

Like my father a 78 year old man, every month for the last 15 years he donates money for homeless out of his army pension. It is a nice cause but not up to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Watching the 6.1 RTE news yesterday, there was not one mention of the word "Nigerian/Nigeria"; they kept saying West African gang. I wonder if it is the same on the RTE website? I gave up on that site a long time ago because of their weird bias on news

Maybe because the network is wider than just Nigeria.
    From the report that you referenced:
    He told the Irish Independent that the network spans a number of different countries.

"There is a core group who organised this money laundering operation who were the targets in the raids.

"They got lots of others, mainly from west Africa, who were recruited to open bank accounts for this purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,808 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

What Phoebas said. And also maybe because the question of where the perpetrators come from is the least interesting and relevant part of the story. Would this be any less of a problem if the perpetrators were from Newtownmountkennedy rather than from Nigeria, or from West Cork rather than from West Africa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Peregrinus wrote: »
    What Phoebas said. And also maybe because the question of where the perpetrators come from is the least interesting and relevant part of the story. Would this be any less of a problem if the perpetrators were from Newtownmountkennedy rather than from Nigeria, or from West Cork rather than from West Africa?

I think that the fact a major criminal was allowed into Ireland and set up a network of criminals that is going to cost us million's in deportation and court fees is the main issue....could be Nigeria, America, Greenland for all I care...

• Advertisement

I think that the fact a major criminal was allowed into Ireland and set up a network of criminals that is going to cost us million's in deportation and court fees is the main issue....could be Nigeria, America, Greenland for all I care...
    It would cost us much more if the "major criminal" and his network were Irish citizens, since we'd then be carrying the cost of the prison sentences, which would dwarf the costs you mention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭VonZan

Why isn't it relevant? It's very relevant. Don't you think a foreign gang being allowed to enter, reside and steal money in Ireland and elsewhere is not an issue?

Some people are away with the fairies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Phoebas wrote: »
    Maybe because the network is wider than just Nigeria.
    From the report that you referenced:

Yes, but the gang is predominantly Nigerian and the gang leader is Nigerian:
    A Nigerian national living in Ireland was the leader of the gang and he recruited over 100 fellow Nigerian nationals in Ireland
    If RTE had reported the full story including above and that they recruited other West Africans, then it would have been a more accurate report. The glaring omission causes people to ask why RTE has to omit this in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

VonZan wrote: »
    Why isn't it relevant? It's very relevant. Don't you think a foreign gang being allowed to enter, reside and steal money in Ireland and elsewhere is not an issue?

I don't think they were 'allowed' to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

enricoh wrote: »
    Earlier this year, the Minister for Justice, Charlie Flanagan confirmed that the budget for direct provision accommodation will increase to €66 million this year.

This coincided with a 62% increase in people seeking asylum seeker in the first quarter compared to the corresponding period in 2017.

^^ every little helps! Now work a bit harder n pay plenty of tax so we can afford to give all of the above a gaff. N one or two more when the family reunification takes place.
    Rte n AAA/pbp need an endless loop between now and the budget about the housing crisis to ensure every penny goes towards housing.

Might have to work very hard as the current population of Nigeria is 195m projected to rise to over 400m by 2050.

It would cost us much more if the "major criminal" and his network were Irish citizens, since we'd then be carrying the cost of the prison sentences, which would dwarf the costs you mention.

This is really a warped view.
    You're almost saying we're lucky it was a large gang of Nigerians/West Africans in Ireland that perpetrated this crime because they will abscond and will serve no time; hence costing the Irish tax payer a great deal less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭screamer

It just shows how gullible we are as a nation. Bunch of ejits just taking in every hard luck and sob story....and the criminals laugh at us. Soft ejits.
    Let's face it even when caught red handed the criminal justice system here is so far from just...there are stupidly low if any sentences at all even for the worst crimes, so of course we're gonna attract all kinds of chancers and crims both home grown and foreign flavoured

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Chances are it won't...as happens with Eastern European gangs, members get deported...and are back in the country with 96 hours...not sure if western African gangs do the same thing... but wouldn't bet against it

The problem is not the foreigness; it's the theft. This is equally problematic whether the perpetrators are foreigners or locals.
    And some people are obsessed with race, ethnicity and migration.

This is really a warped view.
    You're almost saying we're lucky it was a large gang of Nigerians/West Africans in Ireland that perpetrated this crime because they will abscond and will serve no time; hence costing the Irish tax payer a great deal less.
    I'm not saying we're luck at all; I'm just saying that Mookie Blaylock's focus on the cost to us is bizarre, given that the cost to us is less, not more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

How about a swap - we send the Nigerians to the UK, Holland & Spain and those countries send the Irish criminal gangs, esp Traveller gangs, back here?

Criminal gangs are mobile - thankfully we don't see the worst of them. The UK are under a wave of criminal gangs at present and one of the major ones involved in cash in transit and cash machine destruction are an Irish traveller gang.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/prolific-irish-burglary-gang-suspected-of-causing-chaos-in-uk-37078428.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Idonbelieveit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Are we surprised with all the dodgy Africans in this country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Nothing new here.

About 15 years ago I was on duty one night, I was talking to my wife on the telephone when she tell's me there's a knock on the door (it was about eight o'clock in the evening).

She comes back and tells me there are detectives here with a search warrant for the house. I told her not to let them in until I came home (I was going to get a relief).

[long story short]

Garda gets on the phone to me to reassure me that there's nothing to worry about and that the house wasn't being searched.

He explained that they had four Nigerians arrested in Clontarf and Raheny Garda stations for fraud.

The Nigerians were claiming my house to be a nursing home for twelve elderly patients, he (the detective) explained that he knew it wasn't a nursing home but for his investigation he was simply going to walk through my downstairs, establish its not a nursing home and he'd be back on the phone very shortly.

About 30 seconds later he was back, apologized for concerning us and that was the last we'd hear of it.

I still get a laugh from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I still can’t get my head around Nigerians getting asylum in Ireland- the most westerly island of all European countries.

I thought the rule was you have to claim asylum in the first “safe country” you arrive into and as far as I know there’s no direct flights between here and Nigeria and never was.

No doubt this criminal gang had great stories to tell in order to get asylum here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

I still can’t get my head around Nigerians getting asylum in Ireland- the most westerly island of all European countries.

I remember several years an interview with the then Nigerian prime minister describing Ireland as a province of Nigeria. As when most sought asylum here there was no direct flights between Ireland and Nigeria.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Corb_lund

Plan is going great.

>shout down those saying it might cause issues
    >let a substantial amount in, have social welfare set up encouraging large amounts of children
    >people query rising crimes, feeling alienated in their own communities
    >tell them they're citizens now, what can be done?

Rinse and repeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,923 ✭✭✭✭looksee

When we wanted to open an additional bank account (additional to the current and savings accounts we had) with Bank of Ireland both my husband and myself had to present ourselves - even though he was long term sick - at the bank where we had been regular customers for some 20 years. Both of us had to have passports and individual evidence of residence, even though the bank official knew us both from years of contact.

When my daughter came back from the UK where she had been a student/working for some 5 years she had to have proof of residence and as far as I recall proof of having lived here previously. She ended up going to the credit union and reviving a dormant account showing her address as the same as mine (childhood home), using this as evidence in the bank, opening an account then getting it transferred to where she was living. If she had not happened to have this dormant account I cannot see how she would have managed to get established here.

She could not get funds (rent deposit for one) transferred from the UK until she had this in place. She had no entitlement to any social services support for 6 months. She could not get accommodation without a bank account, and vice versa. It was pretty much impossible to function without a bank account and an address. I can't remember all the details but it is hard to see how someone coming into the country can just get a bank account and function as a resident.

What is the point in annoying the rest of us with all these detailed rules and regulations if people can just come in and do as they please? Will there be any sort of enquiry as to how they got the bank accounts they were using for nefarious purposes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

She comes back and tells me there are detectives here with a search warrant for the house. I told her not to let them in until I came home (I was going to get a relief).

A warrant doesn't come with that option.

Once an arrest is made, Gardaí have only 24 hours to question someone about a fraud before they must charge them or release them. It is necessary to have all evidence ready to put to a person before arresting them. If additional evidence is found during a search it is sometimes necessary to hold off on the arrest to allow time to examine the new evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

CeilingFly wrote: »
    How about a swap - we send the Nigerians to the UK, Holland & Spain and those countries send the Irish criminal gangs, esp Traveller gangs, back here?

Criminal gangs are mobile - thankfully we don't see the worst of them. The UK are under a wave of criminal gangs at present and one of the major ones involved in cash in transit and cash machine destruction are an Irish traveller gang.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/prolific-irish-burglary-gang-suspected-of-causing-chaos-in-uk-37078428.html

You do know that "Irish travellers" don't necessarily come from Ireland. Much the same way not all Roma are Romanian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

It looks like they're not very good money launderers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭corks finest

Tip of the iceberg, Nigerian lady living opposite me,good Christian woman, involved in halfway house for ppl with addiction problems stated to me years ago that majority of her fellow countrymen here are scamners/ or involved in criminality,,,yet our own Irish don't care,or feel powerless to deal with it,taken the law years to act

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

I thought the rule was you have to claim asylum in the first “safe country” you arrive into and as far as I know there’s no direct flights between here and Nigeria and never was.
    This!

The first safe country to land in and claim asylum in is Italy, or Spain.
    Italy has gotten some 700,000 migrants from Africa and Middle East in the last 4 years. The Italian governemt keeps complaining that Europe has to take its share, it's a mantra, in everyday news.

I'm against this. Let's Keep Europe out of this. Those migrants come to Italy, they have to stay in Italy, no redistribution to other European countries.
    Italy doesn't want them here? Well, they shouldn't gather those migrants from the sea in the first place.

I'm Italian.

About 7 years ago I was on holiday in Ireland. I wanted to visit an old graveyard in the countryside, just outside Carlow Town. It happens that this graveyard is behind a business park, or something like that.
    I was directed behind those buildings by a local, but when I was at the edge of the site, I found a cabin, the last "office" before the path to the graveyard.

Well, while I was walking past this cabin, a black man came out and blocked me and asked me what I was doing there. I told him I was going to the graveyard. He asked me to follow him and led me inside the cabin where a dozen of men just like him were sat around a table, doing nothing.
    They blocked the door and questioned me, in a very bad English, what I was doing there. They didn't believe the story of the graveyard and kept asking me the same question over and over.

I can't deny I was scared to death. They were looking each other as to say "What are we going to do with him?".
    Then they closed the question by simply telling me that no graveyard was nearby and they "kindly" led me out to my car.

I don't know what kind of business they were running in that cabin, but apart from that table, some chairs and a closet, I didn't see anything else.
    I went there again two years later, and the cabin wasn't there anymore. And I was able to visit the graveyard.

Whether they were Nigerian or else, I don't know, but clearly they were trying to hide something!

Beware of the migrants you accept in your country. We have serious problems over here, I can tell you from experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Do they teach fraud as a subject in Nigerian schools or something? When I first heard this story on the news, before any nationality was mentioned, I immediately thought... “Nigerian”.

looksee wrote: »
    When we wanted to open an additional bank account (additional to the current and savings accounts we had) with Bank of Ireland both my husband and myself had to present ourselves - even though he was long term sick - at the bank where we had been regular customers for some 20 years. Both of us had to have passports and individual evidence of residence, even though the bank official knew us both from years of contact.

When my daughter came back from the UK where she had been a student/working for some 5 years she had to have proof of residence and as far as I recall proof of having lived here previously. She ended up going to the credit union and reviving a dormant account showing her address as the same as mine (childhood home), using this as evidence in the bank, opening an account then getting it transferred to where she was living. If she had not happened to have this dormant account I cannot see how she would have managed to get established here.

She could not get funds (rent deposit for one) transferred from the UK until she had this in place. She had no entitlement to any social services support for 6 months. She could not get accommodation without a bank account, and vice versa. It was pretty much impossible to function without a bank account and an address. I can't remember all the details but it is hard to see how someone coming into the country can just get a bank account and function as a resident.
    What is the point in annoying the rest of us with all these detailed rules and regulations if people can just come in and do as they please? Will there be any sort of enquiry as to how they got the bank accounts they were using for nefarious purposes?

A very good friend of mine had a similar problem returning home after spending years abroad. He said that it was like the Spanish Inquisition for him to set up a bank account at Bank of Ireland. The man was born and bred in Ireland ................ with a brogue, red hair and freckles, and still he was viewed with suspicion. He felt he had done something wrong. It took him a number of trips to the bank to get the account set up.

One of the questions in my original post asked about the bank accounts. Around 350 accounts were set up by the Nigerian gang, which led me to think about the ease that the non-nationals had setting up these accounts. The deeper point I am making is that Irish people are so afraid of being called racist in these situations, that the non-nationals in this case had no problem setting up their accounts. The Irish media and many Irish politicians have instilled the fear that if you dare to question anything relating to migrants, especially those with a different colour, then you are a racist. This fear has an affect on personnel working in social welfare offices, council housing offices, post offices, banks etc. It is a lot easier on them if they accept what migrants are telling them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

You do know that "Irish travellers" don't necessarily come from Ireland. Much the same way not all Roma are Romanian.

the gangs currently causing untold havoc in UK, Holland, Belgium and Germany are born and bred in Ireland and only recently moved to terrorise people in other countries due to the garda Thor operation

Absolutely throw the book at the nigerian crew and confiscate all assets (CAB can do this) and send them packing. But remember there are plenty of Irish criminal gangs causing havoc in other countries - seems we don't get worked up on that though?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Absolutely throw the book at the nigerian crew and confiscate all assets (CAB can do this) and send them packing. But remember there are plenty of Irish criminal gangs causing havoc in other countries - seems we don't get worked up on that though?
    So we don't get worked up over Traveler criminality and gangs terrorising people, particularly elderly people across Ireland and ripping off the social welfare system? Really? Eh... we do. On these pages a lot more than Nigerian gangs.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Giraffe Box

This!

The first safe country........

Well, while I was walking past this cabin, a black man came out and blocked me and asked me what I was doing there. I told him I was going to the graveyard. He asked me to follow him and led me inside the cabin where a dozen of men just like him were sat around a table, doing nothing.

I can't deny I was scared to death. They were looking each other as to say "What are we going to do with him?".

Beware of the migrants you accept in your country. We have serious problems over here, I can tell you from experience!

It was probably just a regional meeting - Nigerian expats - of the 'Hell Fire Club' (non chiedere!). Did you by any chance espy a cloven hoof?
    If yes, then you really should have rang the Garda Síochána - they're our 'Carabinieri', though slightly less stylish looking - and told them of your terrifying experience.

Anyway, I sincerely hope that you never have to undergo such a harrowing ordeal again in our wonderful country. Please don't tell your friends back home.
    Bye for now, or should that be....... Ciao!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Look at the fraud documentaries on YouTube and you get a scale of the amount committed in the UK alone. Let people in to help them,they rip you off..yes I know there are criminals born in every country..does not mean we should accept anymore in..

Zero tolerance imo.. if you defraud,or intentionally commit a crime then you should be shipped out of any country that was kind enough to take you in.

Regardless where you come from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

But how do we prevent it as long as the EU is facilitating these traffickers with its programme of population replacement.

Any dissenters get shut down, as soon as Hermann Kelly brought up the sensitive subject of migration last night he was labelled racist whilst Eamon Numpty shouted “no! it’s un-irish”. Matt Cooper cut to the break with a “we won’t be having you back on”. You’re not allowed to voice any concerns or your vocal chords are severed

• Advertisement

It was probably just a regional meeting - Nigerian expats -  of the 'Hell Fire  Club' (non chiedere!). Did you by any chance espy a cloven hoof?
    If yes, then you really should have rang the Garda Síochána - they're our 'Carabinieri', though slightly less stylish looking - and told them of your terrifying experience.

Anyway, I sincerely hope that you never have to undergo such a harrowing ordeal again in our wonderful country. Please don't tell your friends back home.
    Bye for now, or should that be....... Ciao!

Hi Giraffe Box,
    My compliments on your Italian words! It seems you have been here some times.
    Yes, I know what the Hell Fire Club is/was. I also visited the haunting building on Montpelier Hill  :)
    And I also know what the Garda is, and though yours might be less stylish looking, it isn't certain that they are less effective. In my little experience I found out that Garda is more friendly than our Carabinieri.
    No, thanks God, I've never had another similar experience in your truly wonderful country. I've visited Ireland 20 times so far (and I wish I 'll be able to go there several times in the future), and I usually deal with locals, that are, as you already know, absolutely lovely and welcoming. I've never had the slightest problem with you Irish.
    And of course I never told anybody about that episode.

Anyway, over here we have all kind of nationalities, and two thirds of the crimes committed here are to be ascribed to foreigners, mainly Romanians, former USSR regions, Albanians, Nigerians and other central African countries, Moroccans.
    The main crimes are rapes (70% committed by Africans), drug dealing (Africans and Eastern Europeans), ATM tampering and credita card frauds (Romanians).
    That's why I am against the redistribution of migrants to other countries. Why should other countries be facing the same problems as we are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭DChancer

Hi Giraffe Box,
    M

Anyway, over here we have all kind of nationalities, and two thirds of the crimes committed here are to be ascribed to foreigners,
    I call bullsiht on that claim!
    You have verified source evidence that 66% of crimes in Italy are committed by foreigners??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

the gangs currently causing untold havoc in UK, Holland, Belgium and Germany are born and bred in Ireland and only recently moved to terrorise people in other countries due to the garda Thor operation

Spoken with an air of certainty, you have a source of course, please add here

It was on news some nights ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

They weren't allowed, hence the home raids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Just deport them. Let their own country deal with their crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Hoboo

It was on news some nights ago.

And if its on the news it must be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Hoboo wrote: »
    And if its on the news it must be true.

Donald, that you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There are a number of questions to be asked when you read about the details of the case, for example, why were they no arrests made knowing that the Nigerian suspects who could easily abscond,
    They're still entitled to due process like any other person. Certain standards need to be met before an arrest can be carried out.

No arrests, also doesn't mean that other restrictions haven't been enacted, such as confiscating passports, etc.
    and what is the situation with the Irish bank accounts of the non-nationals?
    Foreign nationals can get an Irish bank account. We also don't know how many of these aren't Irish citizens.
    The last thing we need is a 100 Nigerian Princes banged up, costing us a fortune. Deport them.
    I'd personally rather than people served their sentences before being deported. If you discovered that you could go to a foreign country, get involved in multi-million euro scam and the worst thing they'd do is send you home, you'd probably be tempted.

Just deporting them is a good way to make us a magnet for scammers and criminals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Donald, that you?

Fake post

• Advertisement
Advertisement