Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby Crying

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

thepipette wrote: »
    I think I would be expected (and rightly so) to take steps to minimise the effect it had on my neighbours.

I doubt if you suffered night terrors, the effect on your neighbours would be high on your list of priorities. Nor should it be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think I would be expected (and rightly so) to take steps to minimise the effect it had on my neighbours.
    Which is what they're doing.

But unfortunately at least one neighbour is going to have the pleasure of sharing the wall with the baby's room, and you've drawn the short straw.

In a terraced house, you will practically never have a room that doesn't share a wall with a neighbour. Look at this one:

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/4-church-lane-church-avenue-rathmines-dublin-6/4238459

This is a HUGE house. And every single room, upstairs and downstairs, shares at least one wall with a neighbour.

Like I say, if it wasn't you, it would be someone else. It's just bad luck I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I think it's really unfair of them not to use a farther room for the baby, but if you think it'll cause conflict to say this to them politely (and the odds are, it will - seems commonplace to think "Well I've a baby now - others don't matter") I'd get working on moving out.

I think it's really unfair of them not to use a farther room for the baby, but if you think it'll cause conflict to say this to them politely (and the odds are, it will - seems commonplace to think "Well I've a baby now - others don't matter") I'd get working on moving out.

Why should they have to re-orientate their house to suit a neighbour? Maybe the babies room is right next to theirs for quick access. Course it's going to cause conflict. If anyone told me how to orientate my house (because it didn't suit them) it would not be received well! I used to be able to hear my next door neighbours tv at night but I didn't tell them to move their living room!

It's not that they are necessarily thinking that "others don't matter" but they can't suit every neighbour in a terraced house situation. What are they meant to do - put the baby on the landing so that it's no where near any wall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Crikey, stuff I didn't say all over the place.

Nobody would ever expect anyone to move a room. You can ask someone whose TV is on too loud late at night to turn down their TV.

With regard to this case, they shouldn't do anything, but if they *could*, it would be fairer on their neighbour for the baby to be sleeping in a room that isn't right next to the neighbour's wall. This is hardly reorientation of a home, or an expectation of suiting every neighbour. It's one thing - but if not possible, fair enough. Babies do cry.

I didn't even imply they should put the baby's cot on the landing ffs.

Also, to say it simply "doesn't suit" the OP is dishonest - it's affecting their sleep. It's not an unreasonable grievance, however if asking whether the baby could sleep in a room further away could risk a melodramatic reaction and claims of demands that the OP never made, they should just try and move out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Hi all,

I'm looking for parents' input on how best to address this situation. I've recently moved into an apartment. The bedroom shares a wall with the next house (terraced) which is occupied by a family with at least one child. Every night and early morning I'm woken up multiple times by a baby crying and screaming (I can't stress enough how loud it is, it is screaming), and I'm a very heavy sleeper. It goes on for 15 minutes usually.

How do I bring this up with the neighbours without being dismissed as the bitch of a neighbour? Would it be reasonable to suggest they move the child to another room (these are big houses)? I'd move my bed if there was space! I know I'm likely to be dismissed with "babies cry, get over it", but that doesn't change that I'm not getting much sleep. I'm not interested in "the parents aren't getting sleep either" responses because a) they chose to have the baby, I didn't and b) they are likely further from the noise than I am.

Ear defenders. I have an autistic 9 year old. You are lucky you dont live beside me. Its like a war zone with him at times.

Crikey, stuff I didn't say all over the place.

Nobody would ever expect anyone to move a room. You can ask someone whose TV is on too loud late at night to turn down their TV.

With regard to this case, they shouldn't do anything, but if they *could*, it would be fairer on their neighbour for the baby to be sleeping in a room that isn't right next to the neighbour's wall. This is hardly reorientation of a home, or an expectation of suiting every neighbour. It's one thing - but if not possible, fair enough. Babies do cry.

I didn't even imply they should put the baby's cot on the landing ffs.

Also, to say it simply "doesn't suit" the OP is dishonest - it's affecting their sleep. It's not an unreasonable grievance, however if asking whether the baby could sleep in a room further away could risk a melodramatic reaction and claims of demands that the OP never made, they should just try and move out.

You did say "it's really unfair of them not to use a farther room". What was that if not expecting them to change the room the baby is in? As has been said, it would be fairer on this neighbour but in a terraced house, the room they'd move the baby to would be next to a different neighbour. And that is reorientating their house - they've set it up the way they like.

I wasn't saying you implied that but to be fair to all neighbours and not affect any of them, in a terraced house, that would literally be the only place where the baby wouldn't be in a room next to someone.

It's affecting their sleep - granted but it's only 15 minutes of crying. There have been suggestions as to what the OP could do to help themselves, ear plugs being the main. But to ask your neighbours to please move their crying baby from the room they have set up for the child because of 15 minute bursts of crying to suit a neighbour isn't exactly going to go well. Doesn't matter how it's put.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Ear defenders.

Do you have a link please?

Not a crying baby but the neighbour who lets his early 20s kids bring their friends back and sit out the back so HE cant hear them (he sleeps in the front) but they are right outside OUR bedroom window.

Their house isnt even attached to mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 thepipette

It's affecting their sleep - granted but it's only 15 minutes of crying. There have been suggestions as to what the OP could do to help themselves, ear plugs being the main. But to ask your neighbours to please move their crying baby from the room they have set up for the child because of 15 minute bursts of crying to suit a neighbour isn't exactly going to go well. Doesn't matter how it's put.

It's multiple times a night though. And as I said earlier I have tried earplugs, they didn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

It's multiple times a night though. And as I said earlier I have tried earplugs, they didn't work.

What earplugs did you try?

I have a lot of difficulty with ear plugs. I cant use the wax ones at all, too uncomfortable. The foam ones seem to cause a lot of irritation.

Now I use these:
    http://www.howardleight.com/earplugs/fusion

Theyre great, both comfy and drown out a lot of noise. My only issue is that my ears get a bit "sweaty" if I leave them in all night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

As a light sleeper, I highly recommend the silicon ear plugs you can buy in boots. I wear them every night and they're much more comfortable and effective at drowning out noise than the foam ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Unfortunately some babies have terrible colic, and no matter what is done they still cry, poor things, I pity parents with crying babies, I had one of those colicky babies, and used to walk the floor boards every night to no avail, they had to grow out of it, their little stomachs have a lot to get used to, Ear plugs or a move to a different room is your only hope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Get on to ebay and look for ear plugs for shooting. Small buds not bulky ear defenders. Trust me it will work

Advertisement