Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too late for see potatoes ?

Options
  • 07-09-2018 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭

I’ve a pack of seed potatoes and it says sew from Aug to Sept but is it too late now and risk of blight too great ?

I’m awaiting my first years ever years crops planted from some left over chitted spuds in the kitchen a fewmths back LOL. so just looking for advice from a novice

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭monty_python

worded wrote: »
    I’ve a pack of seed potatoes and it says sew from Aug to Sept but is it too late now and risk of blight too great ?

I’m awaiting my first years ever years crops now so just looking for advice from a novice

Thanks

Planted mine 10 days ago and haven't come up yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,514 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

mine have started to show. also planted in the last 10 days i think, planted a few inches deep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Why would you plant spuds in the autumn? You should be harvesting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭worded

Winter potatoes. I can plant up to Sept it says ....

Mine still haven't showen them selfs above ground. 2 weeks tomorrow I planted them. I have loads of coffee grounds ready to earth them

I'm a bit worried they won't grow at all

• Advertisement

Mine still haven't showen them selfs above ground. 2 weeks tomorrow I planted them. I have loads of coffee grounds ready to earth them

I'm a bit worried they won't grow at all

How deep did you plant them? Could you carefully loosen up soil and have a look see for shoots ? Did they have any sprouts (chitting) on them when you planted them?

worded wrote: »
    Winter potatoes. I can plant up to Sept it says ....
    It says "harvest from November". They must be mighty fast growing.

Call me sceptical, but I suspect there is more chance of seeing pigs fly over your potato drills :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,514 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i bought them purely as an experiment, for a bed which is not going to see any action anyway. not expecting an awful lot...

Mine came up Monday gone. About 2 or 3 inches tall now.
    I'm a bit worried about the wet weather coming. They might root.

Does anyone think coffee grounds would be good to mulch them with?

Does anyone think coffee grounds would be good to mulch them with?
    Your best bet is to relocate the spuds to Cyprus.
    Are they in pots?

• Advertisement

recedite wrote: »
    Your best bet is to relocate the spuds to Cyprus.
    Are they in pots?

In the ground

i bought them purely as an experiment, for a bed which is not going to see any action anyway. not expecting an awful lot...
    well, they did better than i expected. in that we got maybe a kilo or kilo and a half of spuds from probably less than half a kilo planted. so a gain of one kilo at most, for a cost of €3 or €4. an interesting experiment, not one i'll be in a hurry to repeat.

The ones in the green house are doing fine
    And
    He ones outdoors don’t look like they like the cold, some wilting.
    Considering removing them as rotten spuds may carry blight to a new crop in spring

Mine (Duke of York) are about a foot high and looking very healthy. I have them growing in boxes and started them in mid September.

I moved them into the polytunnel about 2 weeks ago so avoided recent frost. I'll keep them in there until harvesting at Christmas.

TheTorment wrote: »
    Mine (Duke of York) are about a foot high and looking very healthy. I have them growing in boxes and started them in mid September.

I moved them into the polytunnel about 2 weeks ago so avoided recent frost. I'll keep them in there until harvesting at Christmas.

My outdoor ones are clearly not going to make it.

I suppose I should dig them out to avoid them rotting in the ground ...

The green house ones will do fine. Im relatively new to potato growing ...

mine were fried in the frost last week (well, the spuds themselves were fine, the foliage was fried).

Advertisement