Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half-baked Irish presidential candidates?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Fake tweets and what not.
    OK, I thought you meant something wee Michael had done himself. I suppose if your opinion is that the opposition had been unfairly hobbled by a third party, you would be entitled to complain about legitimacy of the current president alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

recedite wrote: »
    OK, I thought you meant something wee Michael had done himself. I suppose if your opinion is that the opposition had been unfairly hobbled by a third party, you would be entitled to complain about legitimacy of the current president alright.

I would not have faith in the decision makers to adjudicate on that so I simply make the individual choice of recognizing Sean Gallagher as the incumbent and not Michael D. Sean Gallagher has been a great President these past 7 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭Odelay

I would not have faith in the decision makers to adjudicate on that so I simply make the individual choice of recognizing Sean Gallagher as the incumbent and not Michael D. Sean Gallagher has been a great President these past 7 years.

What has he done for the last seven years?

Odelay wrote: »
    What has he done for the last seven years?

He has been the real President of Ireland.

I see Bosco has endorsed Michael D Higgins. That puppet is dead to me. Then again, perhaps Bosco`s endorsement is fitting, after all, can anyone seriously deny the fact that Michael D Higgins is just a puppet president. Every mainstream media outlet seem to be shamelessly backing him to the hilt and then they wonder why people are turning to alternative media. The Irish examiner is one example where even the newspaper`s own opinion column talks up Michael D Higgins while attempting to put down the other contenders for the Presidency. It seems that beyond the rhetoric, mainstream media are not even attempting to maintain the pretense of impartiality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

No he hasn't, he's been completely uninvolved in Irish political affairs.

He also would have lost the election anyway as he was unable to give coherent answers to even simple questions during the live debates. The fact that his involvement with the FF party machine came back to bite him in the arse was just the icing on the cake for the gombeen bagman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No way he could have kept his past as FF bagman hidden forever, and that made him utterly toxic.

It wasn't the fact he was asked a question which sunk him, it was his inability to answer it, plus he compounded his mistake in an interview on the radio the next day. By then he was toast.

Scrap the cap!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

[...] I simply make the individual choice of recognizing Sean Gallagher as the incumbent and not Michael D. Sean Gallagher has been a great President these past 7 years.
    Have you told Mr Gallagher of the singular honor you've bestowed upon him? It should not go unmentioned and unnoticed, lest it be mistaken for trollery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭Odelay

Even though he wasn't elected?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

I see Bosco has endorsed Michael D Higgins. That puppet is dead to me.

While your comments rarely fail to entertain, you have outdone yourself with this one. I'll be smiling to myself all weekend. :)

• Advertisement

That puppet is dead to me.
    The two celebs are great fans of each other, indeed Michael D has always looked up to Bosco.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/lifestyle/after-40-years-bosco-shares-some-wise-words-871483.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Peter casey has uploaded a video of him driving a golf ball into lough Foyle as a way of suggesting he'll make for a good president. I'd wonder who is advising him, but he's clearly just advised by his own ego. What a colossal idiot, donegal county council should do him for littering only we know that's probably the safest county in ireland to do it in.

[url]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Peter casey has uploaded a video of him driving a golf ball into lough Foyle as a way of suggesting he'll make for a good president. I'd wonder who is advising him, but he's clearly just advised by his own ego. What a colossal idiot, donegal county council should do him for littering only we know that's probably the safest county in ireland to do it in.

[URL]

The British claim Lough Foyle all the way to the shoreline. No joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,155 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

They also claim Rockall. They can claim what they like but it's all temporary anyway.

First international incident of his "presidency" ????

Scrap the cap!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ah bugger. peter casey has announced he's staying in the presidential race. he's nothing but a ****-stirrer.

so michael d has won (according to exit polls) but walking **** fountain peter casey managed to get over one fifth of the votes.

this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

ah bugger. peter casey has announced he's staying in the presidential race. he's nothing but a ****-stirrer.

Stirred a lot of sh##e then, didn't he. 21% in exit poll.

to be fair, i should have expected a '**** the travellers' campaign to pick up a significant vote.
    just depressing when so many people think that's a valid reason to vote for someone as president.

In this country we like to look down our noses at Brexit and Trump voters, but ~21% of the Irish electorate saw fit to vote for that utter gobdaw just because he said nasty things about travellers. FFS.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

~21% of the Irish electorate saw fit to vote for that utter gobdaw just because he said nasty things about travellers. FFS.
    Seems to have been a standard rule of electoral politics up until quite recently - you'll always get a fairly constant 5% to 10% who'll vote for bigots or frothing lunatics - either from personal support, or else just wreckers who want to protest vote against the incumbent(s). Over the last few years, though, that voting range seems to have doubled to 10% - 20%, even in countries with the kind of education systems which should vaccinate against that kind of manipulation.

Same with hate-speech - the critical outgroup size used to be in the 5% to 10% range, presumably 10% and over meaning that the outgroup is strong enough to defend itself electorally or physically. With the arrival of social media though, that range seems to have shrunk, and frothing nutters seem now able to leverage outgroup threats from even very small percentages - travellers being around 0.65% of the population in Ireland and successfully producing a 20% vote for an man with no obvious talent for public service or any obvious wish to develop one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

I wouldn't put too much stock into the 20% figure for Casey. Anyone voting for Casey was motivated to vote, and the turnout was tiny.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

mikhail wrote: »
    I wouldn't put too much stock into the 20% figure for Casey. Anyone voting for Casey was motivated to vote, and the turnout was tiny.

Still a lot of votes for a candidate pushing an anti-traveller agenda, which says quite a bit about it as a cynical electioneering strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

smacl wrote: »
    Still a lot of votes for a candidate pushing an anti-traveller agenda, which says quite a bit about it as a cynical electioneering strategy.

Yeah, I thought we were above being fooled by a "He tells it like it is" candidate. More fool me, I guess.

The media are lining up to support Michael D Higgins and of course the easily influenced are going along with them.

Looks like the easily influenced voted for Casey.

Scrap the cap!

AFAIK Casey wanted travellers to be treated equally, and not given extra special status. If anything nasty was said, I must have missed it.

Not wanting to move into those brand new freebie houses until stables and land was also provided was seen as reprehensible by most sane bystanders.

Recedite, The Supreme Bestower

Advertisement