Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Salary after Tax/Umbrella company/recruitment cut seems low - Need advice

• 07-09-2018 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

My girlfriend is working for a company under a recruitment agency and is being paid 600 per week, but she only takes home 430e per week. I entered in the Irish taxable from 600 and it's more or less 500e. Does the recruiter take a sum every week? She's tried contacting for more info but it just seems a bit confusing. Between the umbrella company and recruitment agency should there really be that much of a bite out of it every week? Just want to make sure she isn't being taken for a ride.

If anyone could help with this at all I'd appreciate it, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

What does her payslip say? All deductions should be detailed.

Have her tax credits been applied correctly? Some firms take a while to get new employees set up on a payroll so she could potentially be paying emergency tax.

Are there any other deductions being taken, eg gym/pension/social?

As per the PWC income tax calculator she should be pocketing €502 a week.

I would start with the payslip and if you still have questions ask the employer rather than the recruitment company

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

What does her payslip say? All deductions should be detailed.

Have her tax credits been applied correctly? Some firms take a while to get new employees set up on a payroll so she could potentially be paying emergency tax.

Are there any other deductions being taken, eg gym/pension/social?

As per the PWC income tax calculator she should be pocketing €502 a week.

I would start with the payslip and if you still have questions ask the employer rather than the recruitment company
    Thanks a mill for your reply Joe. Asked her to send me on a copy and it says (more or less);

PAYE - 35
    USC - 10
    PRSI ee - 20

So this is where the whack is coming from. I for some reason assumed these were covered with the tax? Forgive me I'm fairly oblivious with this kinda stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭averagejoe123

That only adds up to €65 so there is an additional €105 being taken somewhere.

The Net Pay figure on the payslip is what your girlfriend should be paid. If this differs from the amount received ask her employer why this is so.

Hello all,

My girlfriend is working for a company under a recruitment agency and is being paid 600 per week, but she only takes home 430e per week. I entered in the Irish taxable from 600 and it's more or less 500e...............
    Thanks a mill for your reply Joe. Asked her to send me on a copy and it says (more or less);

PAYE - 35
    USC - 10
    PRSI ee - 20

So this is where the whack is coming from. I for some reason assumed these were covered with the tax? Forgive me I'm fairly oblivious with this kinda stuff!

Does the payslip detail the gross pay of €600/week?
    If so there are other deductions being made as you know, they should and most likely are detailed.

That only adds up to €65 so there is an additional €105 being taken somewhere.

The Net Pay figure on the payslip is what your girlfriend should be paid. If this differs from the amount received ask her employer why this is so.
    Got her to send me another payslip. Sort of cleared things up a bit, However;

It shows employers PRSI is at 55e and umbrella company fees at 20e. Does that not seem like an huge amount to be taken out of the payslip before tax? I'll tell her to get onto her employer about the rest of the stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

It shows employers PRSI is at 55e and umbrella company fees at 20e. Does that not seem like an huge amount to be taken out of the payslip before tax? I'll tell her to get onto her employer about the rest of the stuff.

Employers PRSI is not deducted from the employee's pay. It is paid by the employer to Revenue, who in turn transfer it io Social Welfare, afaik.

Got her to send me another payslip. Sort of cleared things up a bit, However;..........

What's the gross pay detailed on the slips?
    €20/week umbrella fee is 3.3% of the gross wages you mention, steep enough IMO. But such is life.

Gross wages after those fees is 500e. Thanks for replies.

Gross of €500/week would give €436 net.
    So it looks like the PAYE, PRSI and USC deductions are likely correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I guess the synopsis here is that its very poor wages, perhaps get out from under the recruiter go elsewhere or direct employment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

Employers PRSI is not deducted from the employee's pay. It is paid by the employer to Revenue, who in turn transfer it io Social Welfare, afaik.

It is if she's a contractor, which it appears she is. Terrible daily rate though... €120 a day...

The umbrella company fee should be taken off the gross, not the net by the way, ensure this is the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

contracting at this level is a way to screw employees who mix up weekly amount and gross pay.

She sees 600 a week and thinks great as an employee I would only get 550 gross. then she gives up contracting fees and er prsi and comes out with less than the gross she would gey elsewhere.

Advertisement