Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Airb&b be classified as a business

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    That makes no sense at all?

Simple maths tells me that, assuming what you say is true, five people in a one room flat actually helps keep the homeless numbers down and not up.

It's the slumlords that allow overcrowding are to blame & not the tenants they are exploiting. These slumlords charge rent for the five people

Disagree, the price of 1 beds has shot up dramatically, before it would have been 1 professional or a couple looking, now there's more demand for them due to certain nationalities that don't mind bringing their 5 mates in once they've signed a lease under the pretence it's only 1 or 2 moving in.

Sorry but it's most certainly true, I deal with this particular issue on a daily basis

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

italodisco wrote: »
    Disagree, the price of 1 beds has shot up dramatically, before it would have been 1 professional or a couple looking, now there's more demand for them due to certain nationalities that don't mind bringing their 5 mates in once they've signed a lease under the pretence it's only 1 or 2 moving in.

Sorry but it's most certainly true, I deal with this particular issue on a daily basis

its actually such a massive problem with apartments in Dublin City, and saying 5 people in 1 bed is generous, I've seen 15 in a small 2 bed , the worst part is if the council find out the landlord gets done for overcrowding or as RTE documentaries show these things then everyone accuses the landlord of being a 'slumlord' when usually they rented the apartment to a 'couple' and have no idea this is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

its actually such a massive problem with apartments in Dublin City, and saying 5 people in 1 bed is generous, I've seen 15 in a small 2 bed , the worst part is if the council find out the landlord gets done for overcrowding or as RTE documentaries show these things then everyone accuses the landlord of being a 'slumlord' when usually they rented the apartment to a 'couple' and have no idea this is going on.

Top floor place in my development, 3 bed, originally rented out to 3 south Americans.

Last month all evicted, turned out they had put in 2 sets of bunk beds in each bedroom, 1 in the living room.

13 people living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

italodisco wrote: »
    Top floor place in my development, 3 bed, originally rented out to 3 south Americans.

Last month all evicted, turned out they had put in 2 sets of bunk beds in each bedroom, 1 in the living room.

13 people living there.

ahh stop, I got a call from a lock shop I had had locks made up for a place for , they were stamped to not be copied and luckily the guy had other things on order for me so had my number, called me up, Brazilian lad in the door looking for 10 copies of a key to a generous 1 bed in D1.

Or maybe because the Government can't stand having unlicensed, unvetted and untrained drivers driving vehicles that are inaccessible for disabled people taking our intoxicated family members home after a night out?

Just look how well is working in the US, anyone I know living there wouldnt dream of using taxis anymore as the Uber service is far superior and cheaper. A bad driver will last a lot longer in a taxi than in an Uber too.

Also as someone else’s said the vast majority of taxis are inaccessible for disabled people so have no idea why you would highlight that. Also we don’t need very large numbers of accessible taxis.

There would be a massive demand for Uber if it were allowed, anyone who uses it abroad would love Tom see it here. And again saying it’s a race to the bottom is nonsense it’s a gar better service than traditional taxis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Airbnb and Uber have never been about the "sharing economy", that was just cover. It's pure regulatory arbitrage, and it amazes me to hear (I think) Eoghan Murphy on the radio the other day talking about how great the sharing concept is. I'm not sure whether he's supremely stupid or just supremely cynical.

The same way that Facebook claims to give a toss about connecting people, when the business is all about ad revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Also as someone else’s said the vast majority of taxis are inaccessible for disabled people so have no idea why you would highlight that. Also we don’t need very large numbers of accessible taxis.
    Really? How many accessible taxis do we need to stop wheelchair users being left for hours unable to get a taxi, while other taxi users have little

difficulty?

http://www.thejournal.ie/wheelchair-taxi-scheme-1537703-Jun2014/

https://connachttribune.ie/users-claim-wheelchair-taxi-drivers-are-refusing-fares-400/

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/there-are-847-more-accessible-taxis-in-dublin-than-west-clare-i-just-need-one-1.3472735

Just look how well is working in the US, anyone I know living there wouldnt dream of using taxis anymore as the Uber service is far superior and cheaper. A bad driver will last a lot longer in a taxi than in an Uber too.

I'd guess the people who are suing Uber in the US might have a different view to you.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/18/nyregion/uber-disabilities-lawsuit-new-york-city.html

https://www.cnet.com/news/uber-discriminates-against-people-in-wheelchairs-lawsuit-says/

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/20/17144502/uber-lawsuit-service-dog-discrimination-disability

https://www.engadget.com/2017/07/18/uber-sued-again-failing-disabled-passengers/?guccounter=1

There would be a massive demand for Uber if it were allowed, anyone who uses it abroad would love Tom see it here. And again saying it’s a race to the bottom is nonsense it’s a gar better service than traditional taxis.

What exactly is Uber bringing to the table, other than 'a huge pile of untrained, unlicensed drivers using their own cars'?

The current market is fairly well saturated with drivers at the moment. What exactly do you want from Uber, other than rates that make it completely unsustainable for anyone to earn a living?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

ahh stop, I got a call from a lock shop I had had locks made up for a place for , they were stamped to not be copied and luckily the guy had other things on order for me so had my number, called me up, Brazilian lad in the door looking for 10 copies of a key to a generous 1 bed in D1.

It is better to use keys that can't be copied. Amazing how many "lose" their key and when told that they will have to pay for a new lock and keys, suddenly find it again.

Advertisement