Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carpet dents from furniture

Options
  • 07-09-2018 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭

Hi, my girlfriend and I were wondering if dents from a desk we bought would fall under normal wear and tear? Over a year or two let's say, thanks. We were told by our landlord that it would come out of our deposit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

adam240610 wrote: »
    Hi, my girlfriend and I were wondering if dents from a desk we bought would fall under normal wear and tear? Over a year or two let's say, thanks. We were told by our landlord that it would come out of our deposit

Dents in carpet?
    MY WIFE JUST HAD ME REARRANGE THREE ROOMS OF FURNITURE! WHAT DO I DO TO GET RID OF THE DENTS LEFT IN THE CARPET?
    -- TERRENCE P. O'BRIEN, ELLICOTT CITY, MD.
    Carpet pros suggest you fill a spray bottle with water and spritz it over the dents. Then use a blow-dryer, on the hottest setting, to blow air over any moistened areas. (The heat helps wool and nylon carpet rebound.) Fluff up fibers with your fingers.

My personal favorite is to put an ice cube in each indentation, and let cubes slowly melt. Wait 12 hours, blot up wet spots, then use the edge of a spoon to lift carpet fibers back up. Or steam away dents: Place a clean, damp cloth over them and hold an iron, on medium heat, several inches above the cloth for about 30 to 60 seconds. Don't let the iron touch the carpet -- it could burn! Brush up fibers with a coin.

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/cleaning/q-and-a/a21019/carpet-dent-cleaning-oct01/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

How much does he want to take out of deposit?

Although doesn't really matter tell him you'll be taking him to RTB if he doesn't return deposit.
    Charge for carpet dents whats next charge for ass spot in sofa :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

Carpet impressions from furniture would fall under ordinary wear and tear unless your furniture has actually damaged the carpet (e.g. if it's cut or ripped it or put holes through it or stained it or something).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Is the landlord proposing to recarpet the place because of marks from furniture?!? You'd want to be seeing receipts for any deductions made. But realistically try the repairs suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Possibly the best (worst!) reason a LL has ever come up with to withhold deposit money.
    This would only work if he produced receipts for replacing the carpet & even then you’d have a good case to argue that it was excessive.
    Has any of the LLs furniture left dents in the carpet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Just to play devils advocate. How badly “dented” is it, for example I have seen holes left by furniture where it would be like a sore thumb if you actually move furniture away from their original spot. More importantly does the tenants own furniture make a dent. If they did then yes it’s wear and tear. If it’s only your thing, I wouldn’t be happy as a landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭adam240610

April 73 wrote: »
    Possibly the best (worst!) reason a LL has ever come up with to withhold deposit money.
    This would only work if he produced receipts for replacing the carpet & even then you’d have a good case to argue that it was excessive.
    Has any of the LLs furniture left dents in the carpet?

Yeah we got rid of an armchair (with permission) which left a big enough imprint, sure there's be some under the bed too obviously haha. We were told recently after purchasing a desk with five legs (about 5cm diameter circular legs with plastic base) that we'd be charged for damaging the carpets if there were circular debts where the table is. Not a chance they'd put a hole or cut the carpet.

I was under the impression that for starters dents aren't impossible to remove, and that it'd fall under wear and tear too. Will get a Matt or something to put under my desk chair though.

The dents wouldn't be bad by any means in relation to the comment above this, good bit of load distribution and only a monitor and laptop on the desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

adam240610 wrote: »
    Yeah we got rid of an armchair (with permission) which left a big enough imprint, sure there's be some under the bed too obviously haha. We were told recently after purchasing a desk with five legs (about 5cm diameter circular legs with plastic base) that we'd be charged for damaging the carpets if there were circular debts where the table is. Not a chance they'd put a hole or cut the carpet.

I was under the impression that for starters dents aren't impossible to remove, and that it'd fall under wear and tear too. Will get a Matt or something to put under my desk chair though.

The dents wouldn't be bad by any means in relation to the comment above this, good bit of load distribution and only a monitor and laptop on the desk.

Normally its just wear and tear however if there are no dents under the ll furniture and there is under your stuff, i would classify it as damage(more than likely there is marks under the ll furniture as well, just saying) As others have mentioned if the ll doesnt take it out of the deposit. Ask them for receipts after you get a portion of your deposit back. Then go to rtb. Also take pictures of the marks plus other marks on capret that are not caused by your stuff.

Advertisement