Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay off credit card with another card

• 07-09-2018 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭

Was paying off an old avant credit card account, one which had been an MBNA account, but taken over by Avant. Wanted to pay off balance, which is small, but they wouldn't accept a BOI credit card. Is this legal? I thought it was strange.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It's not strange at all. Cash is legal tender when paying off a debt, any other form of payment can be refused.

What you are proposing is to swap one form of debt with another. Your creditor is well within his rights to decline your offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Was paying off an old avant credit card account, one which had been an MBNA account, but taken over by Avant. Wanted to pay off balance, which is small, but they wouldn't accept a BOI credit card. Is this legal? I thought it was strange.
    They only accept debit card. When payment (by AvantCard or any retailer) is accepted by Debit card, they pay a fixed fee (maybe 10/12 cents) to process the transactions, but most credit cards are on a percentages, so they pay up to 2% depending on the card.

Kind of the same with Cashback, they only allow it on Debits card for much the same/simular reason

Tesco Bank is the same, they will only accept debit cards, and they not so hot at updating their back office to reconoise new debit card ranges in the past, as least in my experence.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭picturehangup

Thanks to you both. Getting rid of this one on Monday. Was also paying 20% interest.
    Tesco bank.. don't know anything about them. I'm sticking with BOI from now on. Have never had an issue with them, or their credit/debit cards. However, I use my cc very sparingly now.

Advertisement