Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mystery plant, what is it?

Options
  • 07-09-2018 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I wonder could anyone help me identify this mystery plant (well it's a mystery to me anyway!), which sprouted up in a galvanised bucket I had planted with night scented stock. I decided to support it some canes until I could found out what it is. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Looks like a tomato plant, but the fruit is black, have never seen that before, must be corgette or some breed like that, will be interesting to see if any one on here recognises it

https://fyi.uwex.edu/weedsci/1993/10/04/1187/

Check out this, looks exactly like the fruit

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Highly toxic!!

Deadly nightshade is very dangerous, yet it is related to our favourite veg, that being the humble spud,

• Advertisement

All Solanum spp. plants should be considered poisonous, but there is little firm evidence about the toxicity of most species. A variety of alkaloids have been extracted from Solanum species including glycoalkaloids and an alkamine fraction. The toxic principle, a glycoalkaloid called solanine, is found in leaves, shoots and unripe berries. Possible symptoms after animals ingest nightshade include acute hemorrhage, gastroenteritis, weakness, excess salivation, dyspnea, trembling, progressive paralysis, prostration, and death.

You would want to wear rubber gloves when handling, because I should think that touching it is also a threat to animals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Don't think its deadly nightshade but its a similar plant Black Nightshade Solanum nigrum which is a well known common annual weed.

Berries are toxic and there have been reported fatalities with young children but fatalities are rare. Deadly nightshade is much more toxic than Black nightshade.

Deadly nightshade is quite rare comparatively.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Does Deadly Nightshade grow in Ireland at all? It was common in the hedgerows when I was a child, growing up in England. We were warned about it being dangerous. I have never seen it here at all.

Edit: http://bsbi.org/maps?taxonid=2cd4p9h.cx6 found this. Apparently it was introduced here and is mainly found around Wexford and Waterford - where I lived for 30 years and did not see it ever.

looksee wrote: »
    Does Deadly Nightshade grow in Ireland at all? It was common in the hedgerows when I was a child, growing up in England. We were warned about it being dangerous. I have never seen it here at all.

We have it in one hedgerow near us, but its one weird hedgerow you can't really use to prove anything because it also has that well known "Irish native" Osmunda fern growing out of it :D

Sorry looksee think you have the wrong map? Two plants here, your map link is for Black Nightshade, Solanum nigrum and you were refering to Deadly Nightshade Atropa belladonna http://bsbi.org/maps?taxonid=2cd4p9h.8c4 which you can see is much rarer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ah yes, that makes more sense, and does show an active area where I grew up,but almost none in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Thanks for all the replies, certainly looks like Black Nightshade- I'll be destroying it so!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks for posting OP, I would have thought blackcurrant or something like it, you were right to check on here!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement