Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat loss survey

Options
  • 07-09-2018 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

I’m looking to get a heat loss survey done of our house before we start any work on it. It’s 1940s and we have a tight budget so things will be done piecemeal. We therefore think getting a heat loss survey might help us prioritise - am I right?

How much should I expect to pay for one and does anyone have any recommendations (by PM)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

levi wrote: »
    1. We therefore think getting a heat loss survey might help us prioritise - am I right?

2. How much should I expect to pay for one
    3. and does anyone have any recommendations (by PM)?

1. Yes, if you get the right surveyor! A proper HLS will leave you in no doubt as to what is happening wrt heat loss in your home, what to prioritise and how best to achieve it given the house age / construction type / your plans & budget.
    2. from 500 euro for a good INDEPENDENT survey.
    3. where?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭levi

MicktheMan wrote: »
    1. Yes, if you get the right surveyor! A proper HLS will leave you in no doubt as to what is happening wrt heat loss in your home, what to prioritise and how best to achieve it given the house age / construction type / your plans & budget.
    2. from 500 euro for a good INDEPENDENT survey.
    3. where?

Thanks for that - we’re in South Dublin.

I have seen that some of the insulation companies offer heat loss surveys but was hoping to stay away from them as insulation worries me slightly in a 1940s red brick cos you can do external for aesthetics and I’ve read that internal can create damp issues. So yes, looking for someone independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

I would question if it is worth starting by paying €500+ for a heat loss survey on a 1940's house. Read up on air tightness, insulation and retro-solutions. You won't be able to reduce losses to the levels achievable on a new-build, but you could address a lot of the main leakage areas yourself first, then perhaps get a survey done to highlight any less obvious culprits, and recommend insulation.

Have you got concrete floors downstairs? If you have wooden floors with a space below then you have a real challenge with heat leakage. The other leakage areas to be addressed include doors, windows, services (light fittings, switches, power sockets, plumbing and heating pipes, etc), attic hatch - the list goes on.

You could buy a smoke pen to test around openings on a windy day. Its not the same as having the house pressurised, but it will give you a good idea if there is air leakage.

Once you have addressed all the obvious areas a full survey will highlight what you have missed, and also show the areas that you have not (and may not be easily able to) addressed, such as floor to wall joints, wall to ceiling joints, and so on.

You then have to address insulation - attic and wall, and underfloor if you have wooden floors.

Conclusion - it's a complex subject and an initial survey will only tell you what you already know - heat is leaking out everywhere. It is worth investing the time to research the subject so that you have a good knowledge of the problems, likely solutions, and costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

JonathonS wrote: »
    Conclusion - it's a complex subject and an initial survey will only tell you what you already know - heat is leaking out everywhere. It is worth investing the time to research the subject so that you have a good knowledge of the problems, likely solutions, and costs.

Or you can short circuit this process and
    MicktheMan wrote: »
    get the right surveyor! A proper HLS will leave you in no doubt as to what is happening wrt heat loss in your home, what to prioritise and how best to achieve it given the house age / construction type / your plans & budget.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 KaiserSochez

levi wrote: »
    I’m looking to get a heat loss survey done of our house before we start any work on it. It’s 1940s and we have a tight budget so things will be done piecemeal. We therefore think getting a heat loss survey might help us prioritise - am I right?

How much should I expect to pay for one and does anyone have any recommendations (by PM)?

Wondering if you ever got sorted with this as looking for something similar myself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement