Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do Charlie Haughey's family still own an island?

• 07-09-2018 7:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭

Why? Shouldn't CAB have been able to seize it.

Maybe the same way Denis O Brien accrued his wealth in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Lets make it a prison island.

Charles J. haughey Prison Island.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

He did nothing wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Love the chatter about how expensive the shirts he wore were. Ooh, the tax-payer picking up the tab for his shirts :)

Good time for Charlie. Dacent skin he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Lets make it a prison island.

Charles J. haughey Prison Island.

Any new prison wing is opened up in Ireland, should be called the Charles J. Haughey wing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,479 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Love the chatter about how expensive the shirts he wore were. Ooh, the tax-payer picking up the tab for his shirts :)

£700 shirts wouldn’t be the norm though, and it seems he bought at least 20 of them with money that wasn’t his. It wasn’t the taxpayer IIRC that paid for them but donations for Brian Lenihans liver transplant. He embezzled £250k from that fund.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

'He gave us de bus pass'.
    Lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

They want to make a few bob out of it during the eclipse.

Inishvickillane will be the first land in Europe to experience the Solar eclipse of September 23, 2090.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

his only crime was that he loved his country too much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

His children were gifted the Kinsealy pad yonks ago when it was not worth as much as today. Presumably they they have now inherited Inishvikwhatever now that mammy is gone RIP.

That is what a lot of parents do, but however...... Kinsealy and InishV were procured by nefarious means as we all know now. Still the kids benefited with millions and will never see a poor day again.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/maureen-haughey-stoic-wife-of-charlie-leaves-9m-fortune-36830625.html

I'll leave it there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

his only crime was that he loved his country too much

He loved his country and the filthy lucre too much. Not necessarily in that order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

A man of his day, without him as a gauge it wouldn't be as easy to see how politics have changed for the better as we emerge from the 'tighten your belts' mentality of post war of independence cabinet of ministers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

They should dig him up and hang him.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    They should dig him up and hang him.

Why would his children want to do that?

Pity the CAB wasn't around in his day though!

The children are wealthy on the back of his deeds. I hope they enjoy it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Could do with more Charlies these days.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Need more Charlies.

Like a fish needs a bicycle.

Am I right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

His children were gifted the Kinsealy pad yonks ago when it was not worth as much as today. Presumably they they have now inherited Inishvikwhatever now that mammy is gone RIP.

That is what a lot of parents do, but however...... Kinsealy and InishV were procured by nefarious means as we all know now. Still the kids benefited with millions and will never see a poor day again.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/maureen-haughey-stoic-wife-of-charlie-leaves-9m-fortune-36830625.html

I'll leave it there

£9 million is a nice amount to leave behind. He played the part of a humble man. My Granda couldn't speak highly enough of him, unfortunately.

Belts had to be tightened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

£9 million is a nice amount to leave behind. He played the part of a humble man. My Granda couldn't speak highly enough of him, unfortunately.

Auto erotic asphyxiation!

• Advertisement

That amount is what Maureen left. Prior to that the kids were gifted Kinsealy and the lands as a gift way before mam and dad passed on. So you could double or treble that amount now.

Nice one. On the back of dodgy procurement IMV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Same reason Berties parents are in the republican plot in glasnevin as he man puts it I have the power

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Patww79 wrote: »
    Could do with more Charlies these days.

Just curious why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

as he man puts it I have the power

He Man also said
    'When we find the Key, Gwildor will set the coordinates for Grayskull. We'll use the element of surprise...'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Bravo for asking.

His family are living off criminal assets. I always wondered how they're not ashamed let alone allowed to remain in ownership of criminal assets.

No different to a drug dealer's wife living off his ill bought gains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

After he declared Irish territorial waters a whale and dolphin sanctuary, there were reactions (included in that link). Most were serious, but I liked this one:
    "Did Fungi have something to do with it?"
    - Tom MacSweeny, Marine Times.
    :pac:

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Bravo for asking.

His family are living off criminal assets. I always wondered how they're not ashamed let alone allowed to remain in ownership of criminal assets.

No different to a drug dealer's wife living off his ill bouhht gains.

Have often thought the same myself, and I mentioned it in a previous post re CAB.

But the children don't seem to be too bothered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Charlie the man that famously told the country that we were "living beyond our means" all the while he was living it up in his big house, buying islands and having the state pay for his designer shirts in Paris.

He left a legacy of corruption and backhanders that is still with us to this day. Try getting planning permissions without extra fees and you might as well take the boat.

Just in case anyone forgets ...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2006/dec/20/ireland

• Advertisement

Is one of the children a TD, or in the running for a place on the FF ticket out there in Haughey Land?

You could not make this up if so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

They're a legacy family. People have rosy eyes when thinking of them .I
    Nextng they'll be looking to take the book of Kells from meath.

The CAB are looking for members of the public to report stuff like this.

Oh and he had a mistress too, upon whom he lavished many gifts also.

Must have been humiliating for his dear wife and children to know this. But they (perhaps apart from the real wife RIP) didn't care.

Shame on those in North Co. Dublin who voted for this neanderthal, and who elected one of his sons subsequently too.

There is no saving this country from admiration of criminality and dodgy dealing. Is there?

cursai wrote: »
    They're a legacy family. People have rosy eyes when thinking of them .I
    Nextng they'll be looking to take the book of Kells from meath.

Yeah people always have rosy eyes when it comes to legacy families in Ireland. :rolleyes:

Have often thought the same myself, and I mentioned it in a previous post re CAB.

But the children don't seem to be too bothered.

Indeed. His son L brags about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

His wife was very wealthy so that is how they could afford it.

It was decided he couldn't get a fair prosecution so charges were never brought. They didn't think he was innocent.

Apparently the first ever ESB wind turbines were placed on the Island where he charged them rent while getting free electricity.

This is going to annoy the usual suspects, so that will be a good sign. But there's a lot of truth in it. The Blueshirts must have been absolutely fúcking awful that Irish people chose Haughey and company over them. Or are we going to absolve Sir Garret and company from all blame here? Just what was Sir Garret doing when Thatcher was on the rampage with shoot-to-kill policies, collusion and the Hunger Strikes against the native Irish still living under the remnants of British colonial occupation? Vichy Ireland?

Perhaps if the Blueshirts ditched the John Unionist Bruton and Brian Hayes poppy-wearing. British Empire-apologist types - not to mention the Avril "The Famine was a shared experience between the British and Irish peoples" Doyle types - they might make themselves more electable for those of us who aren't going around with shame about being Irish? A profoundly anglocentric, intellectually conquered group with no sense of, or meas for, the Irish tradition. Cultural Cringe mentality everywhere. And that's the long and the short of why very, very many people would never vote for the Blueshirts.

In truth, FG has never been a catch-all party, nor has it wanted to be. It has always felt more comfortable having a niche on the right wing, knowing that the way our political system was set up it will inevitably get into power in a coalition when FF fúcks up enough. And they can bet the house on that.

Ray Palmer wrote: »

It was decided he couldn't get a fair prosecution so charges were never brought. They didn't think he was innocent.

Apparently the first ever ESB wind turbines were placed on the Island where he charged them rent while getting free electricity.

How much of his wife's wealth was from criminal activity though? How much of her income was used to buy the island?

Considering how the island was bought it's a further shame that they're charging the ESB and by extension the taxpayer, rent.

Ray Palmer wrote: »

CAB regulary seize joint assets. It's not unknown. On death she inherited much of those joint assets. Much of his wealth derived from Charlie's dodgy dealing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Apart from the bribes from Ben Dunne what other businessmen was Haughey being paid from?
    Also iirc in the 1980s Ireland devalued the punt at least a couple of times, Ive always wondered if Haughey used his prior knowledge of the dealuations to make a killing on the currency markets. There are certainly a few very wealthy businessmen in Ireland who started out as currency traders around that time, you would wonder if it is all connected up in insider trading with Haughey supplying the info on when the Dept. of Finance was going to devalue the punt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭arctictree

gozunda wrote: »
    Charlie the man that famously told the country that we were "living beyond our means" all the while he was living it up in his big house, buying islands and having the state pay for his designer shirts in Paris.

He left a legacy of corruption and backhanders that is still with us to this day. Try getting planning permissions without extra fees and you might as well take the boat.

Absolute BS. We went through the planning process 4 times (last one successfully) and not once was it ever mentioned that we had to pay off anyone. That day is long gone but I suppose it doesn't suit the agenda here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Typical Irish begrudgery. Haughey is one of the finest Toiasigh this country has ever had. He done an awful lot and led this country through turbulent times. He always had time for the common people as well. I have a vivid memory of him chatting to my mam on the door step and helping her carry in the shopping.

I'll always be loyal to Charlie and his family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

gubu-on-tv3charlie-haughey-310x415.jpg
    grotesque, unbelievable, bizarre and unprecedented

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It's got to be remembered that this country was a Banana Republic 30 odd years ago and an economic basket case and CJ was very much part of the elite kleptocracy who enriched themselves and their circle of cronies whilst the average taxpayer was royally screwed or had to emigrate.

This country was essentially a sh*thole in the 1980s due to corruption and gross economic mismanagement and thank God I was only a young kid at the time and was lucky to have had parents who worked hard to make sure we wanted for nothing. CJ was also a nasty bully but because he stood up to Thatcher, another bully, he was admired by much of the electorate.

Cute hoorism and getting away with it have long been a scourge in Irish politics and society in general. Post colonial hangover methinks just like the absurd power of the church at the time. But we are changing...

Bertie learned well from his mentor...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

They want to make a few bob out of it during the eclipse.

Inishvickillane will be the first land in Europe to experience the Solar eclipse of September 23, 2090.

I must put that in my diary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

IGv2D0wg.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

You'd have to wonder which is actually worse. Charlie Haughey creaming a bit off the top but doing something to improve the lot of those who need it, or white than whiter Leo Varadkar who probably declared his communion money to the revenue, but has absolutely no interest in solving problems like health and housing because he basically believes everything should be privatized.

This is going to annoy the usual suspects, so that will be a good sign. But there's a lot of truth in it. The Blueshirts must have been absolutely fúcking awful that Irish people chose Haughey and company over them. Or are we going to absolve Sir Garret and company from all blame here? Just what was Sir Garret doing when Thatcher was on the rampage with shoot-to-kill policies, collusion and the Hunger Strikes against the native Irish still living under the remnants of British colonial occupation? Vichy Ireland?

Perhaps if the Blueshirts ditched the John Unionist Bruton and Brian Hayes poppy-wearing. British Empire-apologist types - not to mention the Avril "The Famine was a shared experience between the British and Irish peoples" Doyle types - they might make themselves more electable for those of us who aren't going around with shame about being Irish? A profoundly anglocentric, intellectually conquered group with no sense of, or meas for, the Irish tradition. Cultural Cringe mentality everywhere. And that's the long and the short of why very, very many people would never vote for the Blueshirts.

In truth, FG has never been a catch-all party, nor has it wanted to be. It has always felt more comfortable having a niche on the right wing, knowing that the way our political system was set up it will inevitably get into power in a coalition when FF fúcks up enough. And they can bet the house on that.

Sure there’s a lot of cultural cringe. However that’s no defense of haughey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Has anything actually changed from Haughey's day?

arctictree wrote: »
    Absolute BS. We went through the planning process 4 times (last one successfully) and not once was it ever mentioned that we had to pay off anyone. That day is long gone but I suppose it doesn't suit the agenda here.

Well that's your story. And btw you are never asked for "pay offs". The 'extra fees' are much more subtle than that trust me ...

• Advertisement
Advertisement