Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

no internet on laptop, need advice please

Options
  • 07-09-2018 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Have laptop running windows 10, was using it via a portable WiFi hotspot, the phone connects and even on laptop it say connected but when you try to go online it just says No Internet . I tried it on friends laptop and working so its a problem with my laptop not my phone so can anyone help, it was working fine till this morning when I installed anti virsus software but have unistalled this now but still not working
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭DopeTech

talkie2 wrote: »
    Have laptop running windows 10, was using it via a portable WiFi hotspot, the phone connects and even on laptop it say connected but when you try to go online it just says No Internet . I tried it on friends laptop and working so its a problem with my laptop not my phone so can anyone help, it was working fine till this morning when I installed anti virsus software but have unistalled this now but still not working
    Thanks

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

First thing to try is to right click on wifi icon down the bottom right and click "Troubleshoot Problems".

See if that makes any change..

• Registered Users Posts: 41 talkie2

turned it off and on and no good

tried troubleshooting but couldn't detect the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

talkie2 wrote: »
    turned it off and on and no good

tried troubleshooting but couldn't detect the problem

Did you shut it down with 'fastboot' disabled?
    If not then it was not fully shut down.

I would also suggest doing the same with the phone ..... fully shut down and restart.

Is there another wifi you could hook your laptop up to, see if it works with that.

Are there settings on your phone hotspot menu that mention 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz?? 2.4 is the standard that works with everything, but 5Ghz only works on newer devices..

Also, your phone might be broadcasting its hotspot on a wifi channel that your laptop can't see..

• Advertisement

OK I did a network reset and now says

a network is not properly plugged in or may be broken

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Assuming that the hotspot was password protected, it could have reset and requires re-entry on laptop or on both phone & laptop?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is it defaulting to an ethernet connection? 'Plugged in' sounds like it's looking for a cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,629 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Delete the connection by selecting the wifi signal indicator in the bottom right and then right click on the connection and select forget. Then rescan for wifi spots again and add it fresh.

tried everything but no success

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭peneau

Try restarting your router

Did you install a firewall on the laptop by any chance, i remember years ago i uninstalled some firewall, cant even remember the name. Once I uninstalled it, it somehow made my built in windows firewall block loads of stuff that it didn't before.. I remember something similar to your symptoms, in that it looked connected but wasn't getting any connections..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Is there a physical WiFi button on the laptop itself that may have been turned off?

Advertisement