Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hyperemesis

Options
  • 07-09-2018 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just looking for some advice re: my tormented wife

After many months of trying, and a miscarriage to boot, my wife fell pregnant about 8 weeks ago. Naturally we were both very excited, and looking forward to our first child together.

Five weeks later, my wife started to get throw up. All normal we thought. But then she started to vomit again, and again, and again, and again. We're now at the 8 week mark and she has spent the vast majority of the last 3 weeks lying in bed with constant nausea and vomiting up food, drink and bile 6-8 times a day (and twice as much dry retching) and a 2 day hospitalization.

We've tried vitamin B6 (which I think helps, and she thinks doesn't), we've tried the accupressure bands, we've tried ginger, etc. And none of them are effective. The only thing that seems to help is when she can stomach some food, but even then, it's touch and go. If and when she can eat, she gets a bit of respite before it all starts again. Of late, she's started to get unbearable indigestion before and after she's sick accompanied by stabbing pains that we think is probably trapped wind. Her only real respite from it all is sleep

Needless to say, we are are both at our wits end. Neither of us have any quality of life as she is constantly in bed feeling nauseous, while I'm either out working or at home minding her. This thing that was supposed to be a joyous occasion has turned into a living nightmare, particularly for my poor wife. She's pretty much said she won't go through it again. I am getting more frustrated by the day (not with her obviously, just with the predicament). I had thought we'd be out of the worst of it by now but there's no change.

We've been to the doctors and we've more or less been told we just have to ride it out and check in with them if she gets dehydrated.

I'm taking her to the acupuncturist tomorrow as I've read that can relieve the feeling of nausea. If that doesn't work, our doctor has told us she can prescribe her stemetil to help, but we're both worried about any impact that might have on the babys development.

I guess my question is, has anyone here been through this, or know of someone that has, and if so, how do we cope? Will it last the entire pregnancy or could it all ease off in a couple of weeks (if it's the former, I have zero idea she could possibly cope).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭AuldDaysul

The wife had it bad twice. Cariban was the only drug that seemed to help. She only had toast and instant noodles for months. Tried to drink as much as possible but mostly just throw it straight back up. In and out of the hospital for drips. It's a fcuking affliction and a half

Sorry meant to say it lasted until about month 5 with her, both pregnancies.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭AtticusFinch86

AuldDaysul wrote: »
    The wife had it bad twice. Cariban was the only drug that seemed to help. She only had toast and instant noodles for months. Tried to drink as much as possible but mostly just throw it straight back up. In and out of the hospital for drips. It's a fcuking affliction and a half

Sorry meant to say it lasted until about month 5 with her, both pregnancies.

Oh it's horrible. Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. My wife has been off work since week 5 and I expect for a lot longer. 5 months seems like a long time, I . really hope we can avoid that as I'm not sure she could cope mentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Why haven't they prescribed anything for her? She needs Cariban, and urgently. Your poor, poor wife. I've been there, although I wasn't as bad as your wife, and it lasted until 22 weeks on my first and 16 weeks on my second. For many women with hyperemesis, it lasts all pregnancy.

I would suggest not telling her that, though, if she doesn't already know. She's probably pinning all hope on it vanishing magically at the end of the first trimester. But you need to push for her to get back to hospital (No doubt she could do with some fluids too) and press for some medication. It may not take the nausea away completely (It didn't for me), but it should stop or reduce the frequency with which she is vomiting.

It really is the most miserable, miserable time. My heart goes out to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

OP your poor wife. I had it on both pregnancies and on both it lasted the full 9 months.
    I didn’t take cariban but you can take it.
    On my first pregnancy I think I worked maybe 3 weeks for the rest of it I was off sick. My second pregnancy I tried to go to work as they couldn’t find a replacement but I never managed a full week.

Things that helped me:
    Coca cola
    chewing gum
    haribos
    kool n soothe strips for my forehead
    ice pops
    boiled sweets

Now the above didn’t always work! Sometimes they were a disaster!

I think I recently saw you can buy sweets like “preggo pops” or something like that. Never had them.

Mentally it wears you down big time.
    The only thing I will say is that it is worth it :) I did it twice and would do it again!

Carry plastic bags everywhere! I got sick everywhere...in my front garden, on the side of the road, out my car window, in the shower, in a bin in work! It became normal to me after a while I didn’t care! I would arrive to work with a bag of sick!

Best of luck ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭AtticusFinch86

Thanks for the responses. It's heartening to know that it's normal and that all will ultimately be well. When she's in the depths of her pain, indigestion, vomiting etc. It can be hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel

We've just been to the acupuncturist and that doesn't seem to have helped the nausea, however she did recommend sucking on a cordamom nut (or boiling it and drinking the water) so we'll try that later. Failing that, we'll have to give the medication a go. Naturally, our biggest fear is how it might affect the unborn child but I'm relieved to know that many others before have used medication and it's had not long term negative effects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

The medication is there for a reason, ask for it. Homeopathy and acupuncture won't cure anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

lazygal wrote: »
    The medication is there for a reason, ask for it. Homeopathy and acupuncture won't cure anything.

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Bear18

Sorry to hear about your wife. Unfortunately I had it for my entire pregnancy, Cariban was the only thing that helped take the edge off it for me and getting re-hydrated in hospital. Carbs where my friend and also cans of cold coke.

Please go to your GP or hospital and ask for Cariban.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

I had hg on my second ( first was pretty bad too but cleared after 4 months) I was thankfully in Germany at the time where the anti nausea meds are freely available over the counter. We returned to Ireland at 6mths and I was refused cariban. Thankfully I had enough German meds to last as even with them I was still vomiting twice a day until the day I gave birth. I would have been in hospital permanently without them. There is no need for her to suffer so much. Ask for the cariban! Your gp can prescribe it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Thanks for the responses. It's heartening to know that it's normal and that all will ultimately be well. When she's in the depths of her pain, indigestion, vomiting etc. It can be hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel

Normal isn’t really the word either though: i had numerous hosp admissions for it in my first pregnancy, medication in my second. And medication on a miscarriage too... it’s absolutely debilitating. Bypass GP go to hosp and get medication for it. I hate that I was left suffer so much on my first little girl (both my girls are super by the way).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Jillapino

I had it for nearly most of my pregnancy and the only think that helped was Cariban, before taking the cariban I was throwing up non stop couldn't even keep down water, and had to go Holles street for a drip, she needs to try the cariban, hope it works for her wouldn't wish it on anyone

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

oh the poor thing:(
    I was sick up to 40 times a day with my first and it didn't stop until I gave birth.
    The medication did not help,I had no family history to go on and I lost weight on that pregnancy!
    Ginger tea and lucozade helped,packed trains did not, I couldn't go on buses as there is no bathroom,driving places was a nightmare I know every place that I can pull in.
    I had 3 more but only 2 with being permanently unwell (both girls) I would never go through it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭anndub

None of the "traditional" morning sickness remedies will touch this. If I had a penny for every time someone well meaning asked had a tried ginger!

While hyperemesis does occur in a small percentage of healthy pryegnancies, mine included, I certainly wouldn't dismiss it as something normal that you have to endure until it passes or the baby is born.

You must get your wife to a hospital that will prescribe her cariban ASAP. For me it didn't stop the nausea but it stopped the incessant vomiting so I could at least get out of the house every day. Homeopathy is a waste of time here. I found gp absolutely useless. No interest in my plight and refused to entertain the notion I might need medication.

I was prescribed losec for the indigestion and that when combined with cariban was a turning point when I started to enjoy my pregnancy.

I don't know where you're base but County hospitals aren't always well informed on this. I'd put your wife in the car and drive her to the nearest maternity hospital straight away where she will be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭appledrop

The first advice I would give is forget all the remedies/alternative options. None of them work. I was extremely sick up until 17 weeks + lost a stone in weight at a time when your meant to be putting it on. She needs mediciation simple as that. I was prescribed stemetil. Helped a ittle bit but no use in morning as would throw up anyway. I tried to limit how much I took it but helped some days. No effect on my little boy. Never heard of other medication mentioned but will keep it in mind if ever need it again! If she has a very bad day make sure she goes to hospital as she may need to be put on a drip. On good days if I could eat anything + keep it down I would feel bit better. Problem was what I could eat ok one day the next day I would throw it up. Don't listen to advice from people used to do my head in! It's a medical condition not just 'morning sickness' Hopefully it will improve like mine did. I had a really good pregnancy after 18 weeks so fingers crossed she will be the same.

Advertisement