Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taoiseach refuses to meet murdered Donegal woman's family as she is "british"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

retalivity wrote: »
    http://www.highlandradio.com/2018/09/07/taoiseach-refuses-to-meet-danielle-mclaughlins-mother/

This is staggering. I'm not sure if it is worse as an administrative fxuk-up, or that someone
    in the taoiseach's office legitimately thought donegal was in the uk, or just the outright callousness of the letter.
    For a man and party that spend so much on PR, they should be looking for a refund

Seems cack-handed at least... Outrageous at worst..

http://www.highlandradio.com/2018/09/07/taoiseach-refuses-to-meet-danielle-mclaughlins-mother/

This is staggering. I'm not sure if it is worse as an administrative fxuk-up, or that someone
    in the taoiseach's office legitimately thought donegal was in the uk, or just the outright callousness of the letter.
    For a man and party that spend so much on PR, they should be looking for a refund

She was traveling on a British passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

That's bad enough, not to mind the typo of "you".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

That's bad enough, not to mind the typo of "you".

It's an incomplete scan or picture, no typo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

*puts on tinfoil hat*

Terribly written even for an "official" communicae. Too much repetition of "I"'s and "you"'s... I'm not buying it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

She's more Irish than the actual Taoiseach, get him the f**k out asap.

Banned.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Exactly. Nobody thought Donegal was in the UK.

That said, the letter could've been better written. Though I think the outrage is a bit overblown, there's nothing outrageous in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

thebull85 wrote: »

Oh ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I'm curious about what benefit a meeting with the Taoiseach would bring. Murder in a foreign country is too trivial for the Taoiseach to be dealing with, what can he do, say he offers his condolences?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

You can be a British citizen living in Ireland with an Irish passport. That’s not to say they couldn’t have offered her some form of assistance. Maybe they could’ve referred her to Simon Coveney DOFA. The mother specifically requested the support of the Irish state. For the price of a few stamps and a few phone calls it wouldn’t break the bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,528 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Lots of people in Ireland have dual nationality, particularly the north and border regions. To try and dismiss a meeting on a technicality like that, without considering that her and her family live in ROI, and are looking for assistance/closure is pretty grotesque

thebull85 wrote: »

...christ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It's also possible that Leo knows nothing of the request.

That response is from a civil servant in his office

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

"is not possible and indeed probably not worthwhile" is not how well mannered and experienced private secretaries should express that particular thought. As as mentioned when communicating one is writing on behalf of the office and use of first person terms is frowned upon. Then again it is 2018 and half the population is semi-literate.

You can be a British citizen living in Ireland with an Irish passport. That’s not to say they couldn’t have offered her some form of assistance. Maybe they could’ve referred her to Simon Coveney DOFA. The mother specifically requested the support of the Irish state. For the price of a few stamps and a few phone calls it wouldn’t break the bank.

Sure, any of the million or so citizens in Northern Ireland are entitled to an Irish Passport and all that goes with that. This woman was travelling on a British Passport but also held an Irish one. Varadkar should have met with her Mother. Simple as!

His media honed veneer is beginning to chip as ppl see there's little heart underneath it! Spin merchant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Shouldn't be allowed have both. That said, the letter is fairly sharp.

Lots of people in Ireland have dual nationality, particularly the north and border regions. To try and dismiss a meeting on a technicality like that, without considering that her and her family live in ROI, and are looking for assistance/closure is pretty grotesque

Ireland's ability to offer consular assistance in this case is constrained by India's treatment of dual nationalities. Their authorities are likely to only deal with British diplomats because she was travelling under a British passport - this is international law.

With all that said, the letter response could've been more informative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The Churnal (our sister publication!) is on the case

http://www.thejournal.ie/government-meeting-mother-danielle-mclaughlin-4225539-Sep2018/
    Having now clarified the facts surrounding this case, the Department can confirm that consular services of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade have and will continue to be provided to Danielle’s family, as appropriate.

The Department sincerely regrets the misunderstanding that arose in this case.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Shouldn't be allowed have both. .

Why not?

bubblypop wrote: »
    Why not?

Because you're not both.

• Advertisement

Because you're not both.

Yes you can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

This is bull****, anyone crys to the media and the majority of the posters on here piss themselves like an untrained terrier pup.

She wants a meeting with the Taoiseach why exactly, is he going to "break open" the case for them. Everyone in this country thinks they are entitled to everything and crys until they get it.

Yes you can be.

In an official technical sense, because you can have both passports, then yeah maybe. But not really. Irish isn't British and anyone British isn't Irish, that ship sailed long ago.

The Belfast (Good Friday) Agreement allows any Northern Irish citizen to be Brirish, Irish or Both, and entitled to one or both passports and everything that goes with hokding a country's passport...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't that letter have been sent regardless of whom was Taoiseach? Not sure why all the ire is being directed at Leo.

It was Sir Humphreys Appleby's team that made the grievous error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I’m sorry for her loss but why should he meet her?

Should whoever is head of foreign affairs not be more suitable?

In an official technical sense, because you can have both passports, then yeah maybe. But not really. Irish isn't British and anyone British isn't Irish, that ship sailed long ago.

I don't know what you mean by that ship sailed long ago. But if you are both in an 'official technical sense' than that's means you are both.
    Not hard to understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,590 ✭✭✭baldbear

Varadkar did nothing wrong here. The civil servant who wrote that letter was insensitive that's for sure.

Nonsense over hyped story.

Snotty wrote: »
    This is bull****, anyone crys to the media and the majority of the posters on here piss themselves like an untrained terrier pup.

She wants a meeting with the Taoiseach why exactly, is he going to "break open" the case for them. Everyone in this country thinks they are entitled to everything and crys until they get it.

Wow! Such awesome sympathy for a Mother whose daughter was murdered thousands of miles away!! How dare she expect to see the leader of the Government of her country and to seek assistance!

• Advertisement

I don't know what you mean by that ship sailed long ago. But if you are both in an 'official technical sense' than that's means you are both.
    Not hard to understand.

I said you can, but you shouldn't. What's hard a to understand about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

If she was not traveling as citizen of Ireland (on and Irish passport) and was killed outside of Ireland then unfortunately her family would have relied on the UK to provide consular assistance. As this was a response to an apparent complaint on how that assistance was provided then it is only reasonable that they were referred back to the government contact who could actually act on the correspondence.

In your opinion people shouldn't have two passports from different countries, even if they are entitled to them?

And what exactly would Leo be able to do for them?

I can’t see a gay Indian politician being welcomed or having any influence in a homophobic India

After the recent court case there it’d be a media circus with a huge distraction

Only "Oirish" passports for us racist Viking / Norman purebloods.

I get you now.

ted1 wrote: »
    I can’t see a gay Indian politician being welcomed or having any influence in a homophobic India

After the recent court case there it’d be a media circus with a huge distraction

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/story/section-377-verdict-live-updates-1333093-2018-09-06

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    How dare she expect to see the leader of the Government of her country and to seek assistance!

So everytime anyone goes through any tragic event, they have the right to see the Taoiseach? Rubbish, she was told no, it's her choice to send it to the press and make a story out of it, no one elses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I said you can, but you shouldn't. What's hard a to understand about that?[/q
    Kids have 2 passports due to parents having different nationalities. Its legal!

verycool wrote: »

I get you now.

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/story/section-377-verdict-live-updates-1333093-2018-09-06

:pac:

Hence after the recent court case comment

verycool wrote: »

I get you now.

Away with that aul shíte. Stock boards muck argument.
    In your opinion people shouldn't have two passports from different countries, even if they are entitled to them?

Exactly, I don't think anyone should be entitled. Now you get it.

Didn't deny it though. ;)

The poster "doth protest too much methinks".

• Advertisement

Exactly, I don't think anyone should be entitled. Now you get it.

Makes no sense. Do you have any particular reason for believing that?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

The thread title is pure clickbait bullsh*t in the best traditions of the Daily Mail and others of its ilk. Nowhere in the letter does it say that the Taoiseach refused to meet the woman, it's a letter from a civil servant saying that a meeting wouldn't be possible. Sure the letter could have been worded better, but the same could also be said of the thread title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Oh god that letter is atrociously written!

If the taoiseach cannot meet her, he cannot meet her - heads of state are not obliged to do so, nor would they be able to do much for the case... but crikey, if you are working for the taoiseach, you should know how to convey this in an empathetic, sensitive way. I do this kinda stuff in my job but I'm way off working for the office of the taoiseach!

TomOnBoard wrote: »

Read the comments on the journal there full of bogus accounts from various political parties. It’s a non story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

That letter is worthy of the Home Office in terms of sharpness!

What were they thinking?! Just created a major PR problem for absolutely no reason. Bizzare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I just wanted to mention that I hold two passports. You know, in case it makes anyone insecure...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ahem: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/mother-of-donegal-woman-murdered-in-india-told-to-seek-help-from-british-1.3622205
    “The letter received by the Department of the Taoiseach from Danielle’s mother indicated that Danielle was travelling on a British passport, leading officials handling the matter to incorrectly conclude that Danielle was a British citizen,” the statement said.

“This was the basis on which the office advised Danielle’s family that the matter would be most appropriately handled by the British authorities. Having now clarified the facts surrounding this case, the Department can confirm that Consular services of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade have and will continue to be provided to Danielle’s family, as appropriate.

“The Department sincerely regrets the misunderstanding that arose in this case,” the spokeswoman said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Even if she were British, the letter could have avoided confusion by just responding with a question about which passport she was traveling on and whether she was a dual nationality or a UK citizen in Ireland.

EdgeCase wrote: »
    Even if she were British, the letter could have avoided confusion by just responding with a question about which passport she was traveling on and whether she was a dual nationality or a UK citizen in Ireland.

These details were already known. The British diplomats are already working on it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement