Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Posts filled with resentment and anger

• 08-09-2018 5:12am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I know opinions can get very heated here on boards, and rarely more so on forums like AH and a few others, where having a laugh can trigger hyper sensitive people into making accusations of trolling and causing a complete over-reaction.

It seems to me (as a regular poster on a few forums) that some posters on boards are just filled with resentment and hate and will not let things go - they argue with almost everyone and waste their time and energy when it could be put to much better, more productive use.

I think you have an idea of the particular poster(s) whom I'm referring to.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

It’s the pseudonymous nature of the site. It’s much easier to be rude, condescending, pompous or whatever once you know the other person isn’t going to confront you to your face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

It’s the pseudonymous nature of the site. It’s much easier to be rude, condescending, pompous or whatever once you know the other person isn’t going to confront you to your face.

Absolutely true.
    This same logic applies to the road too. People become dickheads in the safety of their cars, knowing full well they can just drive off and avoid any confrontation.

Actually, on the subject I was in Aldi the other day (Blanchardstown) and two women and a small child (probably about 3 years old) were on the adjacent till to me. The shop was busy so the que was slow to move and the child was balling his eyes out. He wanted a Thomas the Tank Engine magainze. It probably went of for what felt like 5-6 minutes and when the mother got to the cashier she asked for a manager... what was it she wanted to say I hear you ask?

Well she complained "that such magazines shouldn't be at eye-level for kids to see" :rolleyes:
    It falls in line with what we are talking about. People being absoutle c*nts because they feel the situation allows them to without any comeback.

In the same Aldi during the week they were closed for a couple of days due to a new shop-refit. But a woman was arguing with the dude on the gate about how her steaks and chicken went off after she bought them. Went on to say "my rights" this.... "my rights" that... "this is a health hazard and I cannot be expected to dispose of this myself" - The wanker couldn't wait two more days until the store re-opened to bring them back and get her refund. But of course what's the Aldi employee meant to do? You can't tell these 100% wa*kstains to go piss off and they know that.

People are cu*ts. If you think otherwise you are either naive or living in a bubble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,854 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Now everybody can have a little blip from time to time and things might get a little heated.
    One way Boards.ie and social media has really helped me is not to take every thing so seriously and to let things go.
    I find it a little scary how people get so worked up over little things other people do that doesn't effect them and the anger they express over an item that can be easily ignored can be a little worrying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

In fairness Aldi are trying to promote the whole 'Autism friendly' thing so putting visual treats in kids faces before the till is a recipe for disaster.
    If the kid had the meltdown at the back of the store and arguments ensued there you probably wouldn't be as put out OP. So if shops want to put the pressure on at the tills then game on.

Now the dodgy chicken and steaks.... these can be pricy enough for some people in terms of a shopping budget. In her mind if she had to wait another few days to say the stuff was gone off she might have felt that they'd say no as it was over the date (the window for fillets can be tight enough at 4-5 days). Also we know there was a repackeging scandal in the uk with chicken fillets where dodgy stuff was sold. Ive gotton it a few times in Tescos, Dunnes , Aldi, where the date might have 2 days left on the BBE but when I smell it it's rrrraaaaank. Rightly pitted me off... especially when you're just trying to sort a dinner and the kids are getting hungry.

Sure she could have been all polite but sometimes it's not enough to be a shrinking violet and they change nothing. Kick up enough fuss and they might do something about it.

Farefex to her I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

In fairness Aldi are trying to promote the whole 'Autism friendly' thing so putting visual treats in kids faces before the till is a recipe for disaster.
    If the kid had the meltdown at the back of the store and arguments ensued there you probably wouldn't be as put out OP. So if shops want to put the pressure on at the tills then game on.

Now the dodgy chicken and steaks.... these can be pricy enough for some people in terms of a shopping budget. In her mind if she had to wait another few days to say the stuff was gone off she might have felt that they'd say no as it was over the date (the window for fillets can be tight enough at 4-5 days). Also we know there was a repackeging scandal in the uk with chicken fillets where dodgy stuff was sold. Ive gotton it a few times in Tescos, Dunnes , Aldi, where the date might have 2 days left on the BBE but when I smell it it's rrrraaaaank. Rightly pitted me off... especially when you're just trying to sort a dinner and the kids are getting hungry.

Sure she could have been all polite but sometimes it's not enough to be a shrinking violet and they change nothing. Kick up enough fuss and they might do something about it.

Farefex to her I say.

She was roaring at someone on the gate of a closed shop that was getting work done on it. He should have got one of the steaks and slapped her in the jaw with it

• Advertisement

Now everybody can have a little blip from time to time and things might get a little heated.
    One way Boards.ie and social media has really helped me is not to take every thing so seriously and to let things go.
    I find it a little scary how people get so worked up over little things other people do that doesn't effect them and the anger they express over an item that can be easily ignored can be a little worrying.

But maybe in Ireland we just accept failings too much and the little things were not supposed to get 'worked up over' become the big things we just ignore as a society (hospital trollies, services for sick and vulnerable people, inequity in justice system, nepotism).

If we all took the view that things are not up to scratch and demanded better then things might improve.

Patww79 wrote: »
    She was roaring at someone on the gate of a closed shop that was getting work done on it. He should have got one of the steaks and slapped her in the jaw with it

Aldi stole the food out of her children's mouths. She should have subdued the guard, broke in to the new store and smeared the rank chicken all over their shiney new floors and windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,854 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

But maybe in Ireland we just accept failings too much and the little things were not supposed to get 'worked up over' become the big things we just ignore as a society (hospital trollies, services for sick and vulnerable people, inequity in justice system, nepotism).

If we all took the view that things are not up to scratch and demanded better then things might improve.

I have no issue with people getting worked up over serious issues and I think if you need to campaign to resolve these issues then that's cool by me.
    However ringing radio stations to give out about somebody wearing a tracksuit to the supermarket, people getting into rant and rage over people buying certain cars/brands/liking certain type of music is what I think is waste of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Much more satisfaction to be had from a deft bit of passive aggressiveness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

Anger is an energy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I know opinions can get very heated here on boards, and rarely more so on forums like AH and a few others, where having a laugh can trigger hyper sensitive people into making accusations of trolling and causing a complete over-reaction.

It seems to me (as a regular poster on a few forums) that some posters on boards are just filled with resentment and hate and will not let things go - they argue with almost everyone and waste their time and energy when it could be put to much better, more productive use.

I think you have an idea of the particular poster(s) whom I'm referring to.

What the **** did you just ****ing say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the **** out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my ****ing words. You think you can get away with saying that **** to me over the Internet? Think again, ****er. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're ****ing dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little ****. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your ****ing tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will **** fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're ****ing dead, kiddo.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Posts filled with resentment and anger

... He should have got one of the steaks and slapped her in the jaw with it

Brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    What the **** did you just ****ing say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the **** out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my ****ing words. You think you can get away with saying that **** to me over the Internet? Think again, ****er. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're ****ing dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little ****. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your ****ing tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will **** fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're ****ing dead, kiddo.

Did you steal that from Reddits /thathappened or /imverybadass? Seems very familiar!

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭degsie

Posts are just for stringing wire/fencing across them. Don't know why people get so worked up about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Well she complained "that such magazines shouldn't be at eye-level for kids to see" :rolleyes:
    It falls in line with what we are talking about. People being absoutle c*nts because they feel the situation allows them to without any comeback.

She doesn't sound angry at all? Perfectly reasonable feedback from her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Absolutely true.
    This same logic applies to the road too. People become dickheads in the safety of their cars, knowing full well they can just drive off and avoid any confrontation.

Actually, on the subject I was in Aldi the other day (Blanchardstown) and two women and a small child (probably about 3 years old) were on the adjacent till to me. The shop was busy so the que was slow to move and the child was balling his eyes out. He wanted a Thomas the Tank Engine magainze. It probably went of for what felt like 5-6 minutes and when the mother got to the cashier she asked for a manager... what was it she wanted to say I hear you ask?

I'd agree that those magazines shouldn't be at the till.

The whole intention is for kids to see them and cause a scene resulting in parents buying the over priced crap just to avoid a scene and the subsequent tut-tuts from the always on hand tut-tutters..
    People are cu*ts. If you think otherwise you are either naive or living in a bubble.

Indeed

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Much more satisfaction to be had from a deft bit of passive aggressiveness.

Passive *aggression :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

In some topics people come up with views where you'd love to think this is made up and trolling. Knowing that there are people standing to their incredibly backwards points is strange. It is what it is and I'm pretty tolerant but some arguments you see on here are downright stupid.
    I usually get a good laugh out of them though and move on with my day.

Earthhorse wrote: »

Nothing more self important than a parent, she's just more proof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Did you steal that from Reddits /thathappened or /imverybadass? Seems very familiar!

Yeah, it’s an old meme at this stage.

• Advertisement

Nothing more self important than a parent, she's just more proof.

Nah, you're wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Totally agree with you all these large supermarkets have the sweets and kids stuff packed around the paying area. Kids want. Kids cry. Parents give in hopefully. More money. She was fully justified in complaining.

Nah, you're wrong.

Not even in the slightest. Once spawn comes along they become the worst people in the world.

"Out of my way, the world must suit me now. For I have a child".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I find Boards.ie so good, sometimes a query about a place or object, is answered by someone who maybe live or visit there or own the object, I let heated comments go,

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Yeah, it’s an old meme at this stage.

There's a wholesome one too!

What's this you've said to me, my good friend? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in conflict resolution, and I've been involved in numerous friendly discussions, and I have over 300 confirmed friends. I am trained in polite discussions and I'm the top mediator in the entire neighbourhood. You are worth more to me than just another target. I hope we will come to have a friendship never before seen on this Earth. Don't you think you might be hurting someone's feelings saying that over the internet? Think about it, my friend. As we speak I am contacting my good friends across the USA and your P.O. box is being traced right now so you better prepare for the greeting cards, friend. The greeting cards that help you with your hate. You should look forward to it, friend. I can be anywhere, anytime for you, and I can calm you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my chess set. Not only am I extensively trained in conflict resolution, but I have access to the entire group of my friends and I will use them to their full extent to start our new friendship. If only you could have known what kindness and love your little comment was about to bring you, maybe you would have reached out sooner. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now we get to start a new friendship, you unique person. I will give you gifts and you might have a hard time keeping up. You're finally living, friend.

Not even in the slightest. Once spawn comes along they become the worst people in the world.

"Out of my way, the world must suit me now. For I have a child".

Maybe your parents were like that but most aren't.

some people could be using AH as an outlet for their sexual frustration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

I thought 99% of online posts were Posts filled with resentment and anger from bitter angry little men

Maybe your parents were like that but most aren't.

They are though, modern parents are the definition of ebtitlement.

Then again, you're never going to think I'm right and I'm going to continue thinking you're taking out of your hole so is there much point in continuing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Online forums will always be this way. There's an awful lot of people who no one pays any attention to in the real world they just get brushed to one side for whatever reason.

So this kinda place is the perfect platform for them to vent!

Plus you have every topic under the sun on here! There's something for everyone to be offended by!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

some people could be using AH as an outlet for their sexual frustration.

Chore sex guy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I was just catching up on a thread I’d posted in recently, not in AH but it just suddenly struck me how much it’s filled with accounts of all these different groups who hate each other and then other groups within those groups who also hate each other and on and on, all for various different bull**** nonsense reasons.

I just stopped reading and clicked unfollow. This was the next thread I happened upon.

I hear ya OP..

Passive aggression. I have a friend who engages in it. Just say what it is you want to say instead of this "oh you're probably meeting him after". Come on now. Or sometimes it's insults dressed up as 'jokes'. I see that a fair bit here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Giraffe Box

Pa8301 wrote: »
    Anger is an energy!

The written word is a lie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

"A little bit of knowledge (know something but not the whole story) is a dangerous thing"

I'll keep this deliberately vague so as the poster or his thread cannot be identified.

This individual started a thread about having this smartphone which had important data on its micro sd card. He wanted to know how to retrieve data from it, apparently. He was given valid replies. However he gave short abrupt responses which seemed irritable tbh.
    The individual then added some more detail to the thread, more of a "cool story" than anything else.

So all this poster really wanted to do was to tell a "tech tale" from his own "cool vantage point" in the end, and some really helpful answers just made him narky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Try_harder wrote: »
    I thought 99% of online posts were Posts filled with resentment and anger from bitter angry little men

What about the aggressive nasty tall men? Always found posts from that group to be particularly ott....

And as for the women don't start!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Giraffe Box

gozunda wrote: »
    What about the aggressive nasty tall men? Always found posts from that group to be particularly ott....

And as for the women!

Yeah, but the angry little men have no one to look down on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Alot of it is passive aggressive but also posts lack tone and body language that usually people use to express themself irl.

Words alone can easily be misinterpreted but also the poster writing them has to express themself without tone etc.

Sarcasm, annoyance and things like that are then often exaggerated through just words to express the sentiment so people might be a bit cheekier :)

For example if you rolled your eyes at someone irl it might be more subtle or it might not be seen by everyone in the room but this guy is more blatant :rolleyes: so will come across harsher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Are you?

The vast majority aren't.

What's the cutoff for little?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Iv reported this thread. I feel offended. It's not fair

Are you?

The vast majority aren't.

The vast majority very much are. Since the generation that hit around 20 in the late 90's/early 2000's people are absolute cretins for the most part.

That said, Boards would definitely make you hate people more. Makes it seem like 99% are awful instead of the 95% in reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

The vast majority very much are. Since the generation that hit around 20 in the late 90's/early 2000's people are absolute cretins for the most part.
    They don't make up the vast majority of people. The vast majority of people are not ***** - there's no way you go through your day dealing with horrible nasty person after horrible nasty person.

Now if you want to believe that the majority of people are *****, that's a different matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Yeah, but the angry little men have no one to look down on.

I suppose they do when the tall nasty aggressive sort can't get the upper hand!

gozunda wrote: »
    I suppose they do when the tall nasty aggressive sort can't get the upper hand!

Don't forget about fat women. Angry at the world for all of their shortcomings and big bellies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Yeah, because visual treats cause autism...

The shop was closed. Or to put it another way, the shop wasn't open for business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

That said, Boards would definitely make you hate people more. Makes it seem like 99% are awful instead of the 95% in reality.

But not you though right?

Despite you thinking everyone else is...

I was born in 84. I can confirm this to be true.

lawred2 wrote: »
    But not you though right?

Despite you thinking everyone else is...

Oh God no, I most definitely am. Tell me where I've ever denied that?

An honest **** is better than a dishonest one though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

It's also easier to dehumanize a name. Some comments I've seen here have been unbelievably cruel and not always from obvious trolls. I wonder if the authors are that way in their real life, would they say those things if the poster it's aimed at was in front of them.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement