Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Posts filled with resentment and anger

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

You can often tell by reading the first line of a post that they're going to go into a long winded rant. As a rule I usually stop reading someones reply when they use the phrase 'strawman argument', when they refer to me as 'your ilk' or 'people like you', when they reply to every sentence I wrote individually or when they quote me and about twelve other people in the same post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Giraffe Box

eviltwin wrote: »
    It's also easier to dehumanize a name. Some comments I've seen here have been unbelievably cruel and not always from obvious trolls. I wonder if the authors are that way in their real life, would they say those things if the poster it's aimed at was in front of them.

I think you're right, particularly about it being easier to dehumanise a name.
    Though the question as to whether some would be as cruel face-to-face as they are with their internet posts could be answered simply; some would, some wouldn't.
    It's only my own personal experience, but I've found that people are becoming far more abrasive in conversation over the last few years.
    I think it has a lot to do with the influence of our all-pervasive american (TV) culture where we're encouraged to speak our minds - regardless of content - and most importantly, to be assertive!!!
    Unfortunately, some people don't know the difference between assertiveness and aggression.

You can often tell by reading the first line of a post that they're going to go into a long winded rant. As a rule I usually stop reading someones reply when they use the phrase 'strawman argument', when they refer to me as 'your ilk' or 'people like you', when they reply to every sentence I wrote individually or when they quote me and about twelve other people in the same post.

I agree (and laughed) on your line about quoting twelve other people in the same post.
    Difficult to nail down as to why, but there's something very arrogant about that particular method.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

I agree (and laughed) on your line about quoting twelve other people in the same post.
    Difficult to nail down as to why, but there's something very arrogant about that particular method.

Come on now, it shows technical know-how! It took me ages to figure out how to multiquote and i still feel quite fancy if I ever do it. I still haven't figured out how to break up an individual quote into separate lines so that i could reply to different points individually if I felt like that, but when I do you can be sure I will feel very competent and much more fancy indeed. Can hardly wait!

Malayalam wrote: »
    Come one now, it shows technical know-how! It took me ages to figure out how to multiquote and i still feel quite fancy if I ever do it. I still haven't figured out how to break up an individual quote into separate lines so that i could reply to different points individually if I felt like that, but when I do you can be sure I will feel very competent and much more fancy indeed. Can hardly wait!

Well you do have a point, I can barely change a light bulb never mind 'multiquote'.
    But I do genuinely think that there's something very impersonal, or dismissive even, about your own particular quote being 'lumped in' with the quotes of others in the same post.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    What the **** did you just ****ing say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the **** out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my ****ing words. You think you can get away with saying that **** to me over the Internet? Think again, ****er. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're ****ing dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little ****. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your ****ing tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will **** fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're ****ing dead, kiddo.

I think I love you. Will you marry me?:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I'd love to know if all the angry people on here that call fat people/kids/parents/mentally ill/people on welfare/cyclists/etc. every name under the sun also go on rants like that in real life or just give the angry look to signalise their martyrdom others inflict on them.

Here's a really good rule to live by: step back, take a deep breath, 95% of these issues aren't worth your energy, I don't care about it really, doesn't affect me in any way.
    If something really bothers me I say it, which doesn't happen often because most "issues" are non-issues.
    Granted, angry people are often narrow-minded but irl they swallow their anger and don't do anything about it. Letting it out helps, often you don't even need to be a dick about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Some people are just cuntrarians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Earthhorse wrote: »
    She doesn't sound angry at all? Perfectly reasonable feedback from her.

Not at all.
    A very demanding attitude out of her and a "do as I say" tone.
    Thing is you can't say nothing to these people. They want to be told to **** off so they can make a big stink about things.

But if they acted like that towards, say another customer just a randomer they'd quickly be told where to go.

Look, there are a lot of very extremely rude (or just flat out assholes) walking on this planet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note: Seeing as this appears to just be a vehicle to pass commentary on a specific poster, I'm closing this down. OP, may I respectfully suggest putting said poster on ignore and it should hopefully relieve your angst?

Buford T. Justice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement