Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Thanks in advance"

• 08-09-2018 5:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭

On emails, messages etc - requests to you.

Is it a little ignorant?

Sure, I'll do what you ask which may be more difficult than you appreciate...but you won't have the time for a simple "thank you" afterward? Too busy?

I never use it myself precisely because I see it as a bit dismissive.

Maybe i'm being precious about it but it is a bugbear of mine.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Those one word 'thanks' emails are worse. Especially when you are one of 20 people copied on it and it's not directed at you.

Yeah, I hate when people thank me in advance for doing something that I don't necessarily have to do. If they said "Do it now, you relentless little guttersnipe" it would be just as effective for them.

/end sarcasm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Do it, but I won’t be bothered with a genuine follow up thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Yeah, I hate when people thank me in advance for doing something that I don't necessarily have to do. If they said "Do it now, you relentless little guttersnipe" it would be just as effective for them.

/end sarcasm.

That is kinda what they are saying.

“Sorry” doesn’t always mean sorry either. Sometime it means “get off my foot you halfwit or I’ll clock ya”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Even worse is TIA. Couldn’t even be arsed typing out the whole thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

/end sarcasm.

Just say thanks with your request. "Thanks in advance" implies and means you won't get back to the person afterward. So it's not really a request rather than they expect you to do it.

Which is ignorant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Worse than Hitler.

Rsvp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

don't see the problem in it, good manners i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I never took it to mean "I'm thanking you now because I won't thank you later". I always understood it as "I know it's effort, thank you now for agreeing to go through the effort for me" and I would always follow it up with a full "thank you" once the thing I asked for is done.

I'm actually using this quite a lot, and I'm a little shocked that people I sent this to might read it that way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Shenshen wrote: »
    I never took it to mean "I'm thanking you now because I won't thank you later". I always understood it as "I know it's effort, thank you now for agreeing to go through the effort for me" and I would always follow it up with a full "thank you" once the thing I asked for is done.

I'm actually using this quite a lot, and I'm a little shocked that people I sent this to might read it that way!

I'd be using the same line of thought as this tbh.

Eg.

Dear Jim, I seem to be having some difficulties here on my end using the system, when I go to pass an invoice it no longer automatically generates an email for me, and I'm just wondering if you could have a quick look your end for me?

Thanks in advance - Johnny.

Hi Johnny, that should be sorted now.

Jim.

Yep, working prefect now Jim.

Thanks a million - Johnny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Shenshen wrote: »

Don't worry, they don't, it's just a part of the neverending quest to find bull$hit to get upset about

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭dexter_morgan

You think you know someone! A ex good friend of mine that I had known for 15 years and helped me out of jam more times than I can remember, sent me an email a few weeks ago asking if I could have a look at a car he was thinking of buying. Link to ad was included in the email. To my horror, he wrote "thanks in advance" at this end of the email. I blew a fuse obviously! Never again will I speak to him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I think it's polite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I’m surprised that people think it’s polite.

It’s cleariy assuming the other person has to do something. And that it will be done. It’s not something you say to your boss but him to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭guylikeme

Worse than Hitler.

Rsvp.

I honestly read that first as RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Advertisement