Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s on 14th September? Hotels are so expensive

Options
  • 08-09-2018 6:59am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what’s on Galway 14th September that’s the accommodation is so expensive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭ratracer

bigpink wrote: »
    Just wondering what’s on Galway 14th September that’s the accommodation is so expensive?

Galway is always expensive for accommodation, and more so when you are only looking to book 7 days away. I don’t know if anything specific on in the city though. Rugby match maybe?

bigpink wrote: »

Welcome to Ireland in 2018.

The conspiracy theory goes that the local authorities are hiding / obfuscating the homeless figures by putting them in hotels. The hotels themselves have a reduced stock to actually make money on so put up the prices on the rooms they have left. It's not just dublin either, its all around the country.

I was planning a mini break for me and and herself. Between accommodation, drinks, meals etc in Ireland versus a stay for the same length of time in Prague, including flights, Prague was going to be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

The good times are back. People have cash in their pocket or aren't afraid to spend on their credit cards. I was looking to book Westport next weekend & all the hotels were 150EUR-175 Eur for 1 night weekend nights so we booked via airbnb. 120Eur for fri sat night & then booked a hotel for the Sunday night as rates are cheaper Sun-Thurs.

Use airbnb. Next Fri you can get an apartment in Galway beside the docks for 140 Eur. 2 bedrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

It’s called profiteering with their 9% vat rate too. Since that was introduced a poxy burger and chips that used to cost about €12.95 now costs around €14/15.95 - time to get rid of the reduced vat rate imo

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

It’s called profiteering with their 9% vat rate too. Since that was introduced a poxy burger and chips that used to cost about €12.95 now costs around €14/15.95 - time to get rid of the reduced vat rate imo

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Air bnb seems very expensive too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

baldbear wrote: »
    The good times are back. People have cash in their pocket or aren't afraid to spend on their credit cards. I was looking to book Westport next weekend & all the hotels were 150EUR-175 Eur for 1 night weekend nights so we booked via airbnb. 120Eur for fri sat night & then booked a hotel for the Sunday night as rates are cheaper Sun-Thurs.

Use airbnb. Next Fri you can get an apartment I'm Galway beside the docks for 140 Eur. 2 bedrooms.

Nobody should use Airbnb out of principle. Destroying the country.

Prob just going to not going now at all

• Registered Users Posts: 24,382 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Patww79 wrote: »

It's 'destroying the country'...

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭ExoPolitic

Hoteliers are destroying the country...

If there were reasonable rate rooms available then there would be no need for AirBnB!

We just end up losing tourists to the likes of Spain and France due to the high rates, and miss out on their spending, knock on effect...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭StonedRaider

A couple of local publicans/restauranteurs I personally know, own about a dozen properties in Galway city between them solely for air bnb.
    With the current housing situation, do you think it's fair?
    Tax on air bnb earnings?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭1641

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭gnf_ireland

With the current housing situation, do you think it's fair?
    Tax on air bnb earnings?

If you cut off supply for airBnB, the hotel prices will go through the roof. That will directly impact both tourism and business alike.
    AirBnB is taxed as income - it does not fall under the rent a room scheme and AirBnB supplies details of all income to the revenue commissioners

AirBnB needs to be regulated. If it is say <45 days a year, then it should be treated as extra income, but it is >45 days a year it should be treated as a business with the same regulations etc applied to it. Personally I would bring it down to 30 days, but 45 probably balanced. If it was 45 days, I would say it could be no more than 5 in any month.

But AirBnB is good for tourism. Hotels are not necessarily for everyone - especially families when they travel. The idea of being in one room with kids who go to bed at 8pm is not exactly fun for everyone.

AirBnB gives options - options are good for everyone. It just needs to be balanced and potentially regulated.
    That said, hoteliers have done themselves no favours with their racking up the prices over the last few years and then claiming to need the 9% VAT rate. Does not work both ways !

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ExoPolitic wrote: »
    Hoteliers are destroying the country...

If there were reasonable rate rooms available then there would be no need for AirBnB!

We just end up losing tourists to the likes of Spain and France due to the high rates, and miss out on their spending, knock on effect...

Its about demand and supply.

Three years ago businesses were finding it difficult to get hotel rooms for visiting staff.

Its not got any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

The governments failings have led to airnbs surge & I prefer not to have my wallet destroyed.

Its scandalous that the government bent over for the tourism industry to reduce their vat & continually fleece the public.

Use airbnb. Next Fri you can get an apartment I'm Galway beside the docks for 140 Eur. 2 bedrooms.

Ha ha I’ve seen it all now!

vicwatson wrote: »

Yeah, 'cos that will put the prices down.

About 80% of the cost in many food operations is labour. What's happened with the minimum wage in that time?

Can go the Manchester for 97 euro so prob gonna do that instead

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Went to book a mid week break in Ireland a few months back as I was thinking it would be cheaper in September, not a hope Dublin was definitely out of the question as I could barely find a hotel.
    We have booked Madrid for 4 nights for nearly half the price including flights, no 3 or 4 star hotel in Ireland is worth €200 + a night .

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

Just got back from a 2 week trip home. Booked hotels in Galway, Belfast and Dublin and it was crazy expensive. Belfast was saved a little because I had a work discount I could use there.
    Couldn’t get over how high the hotel and Airbnb prices were but apparently that’s the normal now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

If you cut off supply for airBnB, the hotel prices will go through the roof. That will directly impact both tourism and business alike.

At least the rents would drop and give locals more disposable income.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

J o e wrote: »
    At least the rents would drop and give locals more disposable income.

Not necessarily. See this thread ...https://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/108029435

Not necessarily. See this thread ...https://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/108029435

Rent prices are supply demand. Airbnb is using up supply so therefore pushing up the price. I know of several blocks of apartments that are now mostly Airbnb (with self check-in key collection boxes) that used to be young professionals. Young professionals are then living in the former student houses and students are then getting the hit.

OP a good alternative to a hotel is a private room in a hostel. Most hostels are up to a good standard now, you'll just have to source your own fry in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Noticing more and more people wheeling luggage out of our estate to the bus stop (409) on weekday mornings when heading out for work. Sure sign a lot of the apartments are being let out as AirBnB's to tourists (Generally independent younger generation rather than your tour bus tourist ). The council have moved to snap up a few of the apartments also. Our estate was predominantly working young professionals when we moved in a few years ago.

J o e wrote: »
    OP a good alternative to a hotel is a private room in a hostel. Most hostels are up to a good standard now, you'll just have to source your own fry in the morning.

Yes I agree but even they are expensive at times but will look more in future

• Registered Users Posts: 25,120 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Heard a woman moving in Galway, on Liveline, stating she's looking for accommodation for five months
    https://www.broadsheet.ie/2018/09/10/one-family-i-know-were-caught-for-e950/
    https://twitter.com/rteliveline/status/1039133081016385536

Sorry meant to say ended in booking Manchester and getting a weekend away
    Irish hotel and air bnb prices are crazy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

The governments failings have led to airnbs surge & I prefer not to have my wallet destroyed.

Its scandalous that the government bent over for the tourism industry to reduce their vat & continually fleece the public.

Tourism is very important to the economies of a many areas in rural Ireland

Advertisement