Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Irish Fry, what's a no-no?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

And me. Tasteless, hard and watery.

THe problem here is the modern tomatoes. I believe they're treated to prevent them going off (although I've tested that and they DO if you wait long enough:D).

When I was a kid, my granny did a great fry on a Sunday morning, which I was lucky enough to occasionally sample:

sausages, rashers, tomatoes*, fried bread and a cuppa. Mmmmmm.

The trick with the tomatoes was that she specifically asked for the 'soft tomatoes for frying' in the veggie shop. and so did everyone else. These would be ripe tomatoes approaching their natural best before date. When fried after the saussies and rashers, they'd take up that flavour, then leave behind their own flavour on the pan. Hence the fried bread to soak it up. Delish.

edit to add : black pudding, I absolutely loved that old fashioned stuff in the black skin stuff. Never liked the white pudding though.

second edit to ensure I'm sticking to the thread title: not a lover of baked beans on my brekkie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Patww79 wrote: »
    There's always some of you can't help yourselves.

Well, it is. it's an English idea and dish. Nothing wrong with that. It's just English. Putting Irish in the name doesn't make it Irish. Think it originated in Cornwall, so it maybe it's Cornish rather than English...

Don't like it myself. Continentals for the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Tomatoes in any form but especially that disgusting way they heat up a tin of tomatoes over in t’UK and poor them on...vom
    460640.jpeg

Oh and potato farrels are nice, Belfast fry, georges market on a Sunday morning after a skinful the night before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

brevity wrote: »
    Chips

Absolutely. Chips on a fry are for Prods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Tomatoes in any form but especially that disgusting way they heat up a tin of tomatoes over in t’UK and poor them on...vom
    [IMG][/img]https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=460640&d=1536400292

yeugh!! an abomination. That had to be some sort of modern chain restaurant. I've had nice fryups in England, but was never subjected to that. Strangely, I don't like their sausages, but as a child living there, I loved them.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

Tomatoes
    Beans
    Chips
    Scrambled egg, if it's all dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

yeugh!! an abomination. That had to be some sort of modern chain restaurant. I've had nice fryups in England, but was never subjected to that. Strangely, I don't like their sausages, but as a child living there, I loved them.

I watch Four in a Bed all the time and they are an occasional feature only thankfully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,168 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

460640.jpeg

Oh and potato farrels are nice, Belfast fry, georges market on a Sunday morning after a skinful the night before

I loved fried eggs and beans combination, but I don't fancy scrambled eggs and beans at all!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

460640.jpeg

that looks awful

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Try_harder wrote: »
    that looks awful

Both the tomatoes and beans are cyring out to be de-juiced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I grill the bacon, sausages and black and white pudding. I fry the eggs, tomatoes and mushrooms.

Some bacon curls up on the frying pan. Put it on the base of the grill pan, with the grill insert (if that's what it's called) upside down on top. That keeps it nice and straight. The sausages and puddings go on top.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Onions in any way shape or form can **** right off in any meal, but especially breakfast.

Have you ever eaten a bag of Johnny onion rings after a joint? Delicious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭ARNOLD J RIMMER

1 Egg - Sunny side up

2 Black pudding

2 White Pudding

2 Sausages

2 Rashers

2 Hash Browns

Fried Mushrooms

Sometimes baked beans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

1 Egg - Sunny side up

2 Black pudding

2 White Pudding

2 Sausages

2 Rashers

2 Hash Browns

Fried Mushrooms

Sometimes baked beans

Sunny side up.... go home yank... this is our field!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

Lack of boxty appreciation in this thread makes me sad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Folkstonian

Sausage, bacon, fried egg, hash browns, fried tomatoes, mushrooms and fried bread. That’s what I would look for in the perfect fried breakfast. No idea what flag you’d stick in it.

Don’t particularly like black pudding but will eat it if it’s there, not a fan of tinned tomatoes.

It’s very particular to English cafes too, but bubble and squeak can be a pleasant addition!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Hash browns and any kind of leftover spuds should be nowhere a nice breakfast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

All washed down with a nice bowl of porridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

English sausages. I don't know why but they're a world of taste away from Irish ones. Your upper end M&S type sausage can be quite tasty but the average one in most establishments is quite rank.

Irish breakfast definitely beats an English one. Ulster fry with a soda farl (think that's what they're called) is superior again.

English sausages are too firm a texture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I'd say your no-nos would be things you don't like, and your yes-yeses would be things you do. Pretty basic stuff here people.
    I agree. That's why I prefer a buffet breakfast when I'm in a hotel and in the canteen in work. I'd say there should be a place for eggs in an Irish breakfast usually, but I don't eat eggs (whether fried, scrambled or poached) so they'll never be in my breakfast. I don't eat tomatoes either, and mushrooms are evil. I like rashers but rarely have them in my breakfast.

In work, I'd usually have a few sausages, black and white pudding, beans, and a hash brown (even though I'm not mad about the hash browns). Lately, they've been doing fried slices of potato which are lovely.
    dasdog wrote: »
    Black pudding or blood sausage is global, the Chinese even have a version. White pudding is more unique to Ireland.
    I think white pudding is fairly popular in Scotland, and maybe the north of England (and as somebody else said, Wales). The further you go from London, the more popular it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Collie D wrote: »
    English sausages. I don't know why but they're a world of taste away from Irish ones. Your upper end M&S type sausage can be quite tasty but the average one in most establishments is quite rank.

Irish breakfast definitely beats an English one. Ulster fry with a soda farl (think that's what they're called) is superior again.

Well Ulster folk are superior to most of their Irish breathern anyway, so no surprise there. Just ask Arlene, or Drew.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Well Ulster folk are superior to most of their Irish breathern anyway, so no surprise there. Just ask Arlene, or Drew.

Soda farls and pancakes on a fry are about the only useful contributions NI have made to the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Whocanibe

For me it's crispy bacon, runny egg and fried tomato, toast, washed down with a mug of tea.

No to beans, mushrooms or onions,hash browns or chips.

The perfect fry up is each to his own. :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Potato bread is divine. Practically impossible to get down here except M&S do a limited stock.

...yis haven't lived till you've had a fry up with potato bread soaked in Yorkshire relish!! Nyom!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Davexirl wrote: »
    A bloody hard fried egg, the egg or eggs have to be runny as ****.

This. To be used like a dippy, eggy sauce. Lovely!

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Potato bread is divine. Practically impossible to get down here except M&S do a limited stock.

...yis haven't lived till you've had a fry up with potato bread siaked in Yorkshire relish!! Nyom!! :pac:

Get out to f***

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Fann Linn wrote: »

Tell Arlene there are 15 Dubs and 15 Tyrone men who'll disprove her view. But to send more soda farls.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

For me it's nice thick bacon, Superquinn* sausages, two fried eggs nice and firm, black pudding, mushrooms, two fried tomatoes and of course Norn Iron potato bread. Im salivating at the thought right now...:D

NO to hash browns, beans, white pudding.

*As sold in Super Valu and Centra these days.

Is there no boards.ni site ye could be posting on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Tomatoes or bacon are probably the low point of a fry for me.
    I like mushrooms but they can ruin everything else if they leak all over the plate.

For me it's nice thick bacon, Superquinn* sausages, two fried eggs nice and firm, black pudding, mushrooms, two fried tomatoes and of course Norn Iron potato bread. Im salivating at the thought right now...:D

NO to hash browns, beans, white pudding.

*As sold in Super Valu and Centra these days.

There's ones in Lidl too that are definitely the same sausages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭corks finest

Beans, ðŸ„

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭limnam

Patww79 wrote: »
    The pudding depends on how much bloody grain is in it too. If it's one of those horrible bitty ones they can keep both the black and white.

Have you tried Jack McCarthy's of kanturk?

Not sure if they sell it in Dub. It's unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

For me it's nice thick bacon, Superquinn* sausages, two fried eggs nice and firm, black pudding, mushrooms, two fried tomatoes and of course Norn Iron potato bread. Im salivating at the thought right now...:D.

Just whack it all in the nutribullet and down the hatch. The ultimate breakfast smoothie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Haggis is a no-no but should be a yes-yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Haggis is a no-no but should be a yes-yes.

Haggis is offaly nice. Maureen never gets the stuff

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

limnam wrote: »

Best black pudding is Kellys of Newport

From a photo I've seen it's a no thanks from me.

I like my pudding like this. You could near spread it once it's cooked.

0027548200000.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

ewc78 wrote: »
    Best black pudding is Kellys of Newport

By god i'll fight ya, saying shíte like that...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

By god i'll fight ya, saying shíte like that...

Bring it on! Seriously though,someone recommended it too me and honestly it's powerful stuff.
    I must get some of your Kanturk stuff to compare, but it would want to be mighty stuff to beat Kelly's black pudding.

If it was just Rashers (wtf is bacon?) 2 fried eggs and hash brown Im happy. Nice sausages to finish it but not critical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭limnam

If it was just Rashers (wtf is bacon?) 2 fried eggs and hash brown Im happy. Nice sausages to finish it but not critical

So you're not really into fry's then....

He's from the 80s . Don't be confusing him

Ive added pudding to finish it properly but it can give me heartburn. Eggs and Rashers never do! Toasted brown bread and tea to go with it.

I eat a variation thereof most mornings

• Advertisement

Ive added pudding to fish it properly but it can give me heartburn. Eggs and Rashers never do! Toasted brown bread and tea to go with it.

I eat a variation thereof most mornings

My dad used to make dinner somedays and often produced beans and peas on the same plate. Often beside each other where the sauce from the beans would cover the peas.
    Beans, spuds, sausages and gravy was another one. Beans and gravy isn't very nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

For those saying no to tomatoes in a fry, you don't have to cook them. Cut them up into fine slices, then salt and pepper them, drizzle with a little olive oil and then garniai with basil and voila.

For those saying no to tomatoes in a fry, you don't have to cook them. Cut them up into fine slices, then salt and pepper them, drizzle with a little olive oil and then garniai with basil and voila.

So, another one doesn't like a fry then?

Basil :D

You left a sentence out.

" Then at this point you are ready to open the lid of the bin and discard the disgusting mess"

Ha ha. Yeah right. Ha.

Jesus H. Christ. You need a slap in the face with a big chub of Clonakilty if you think that sheite has any place in an Irish Fry. FFS.

• Advertisement
Advertisement