Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Irish Fry, what's a no-no?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

For me it's tomatoes.

And me. Tasteless, hard and watery.

If you grill the slowly with salt pepper and a bit of died basil until they're nice and caramelized on top...
    Some bacon curls up on the frying pan. Put it on the base of the grill pan, with the grill insert (if that's what it's called) upside down on top. That keeps it nice and straight. The sausages and puddings go on top.

This is genius, I always grill cos you can get the rashers crispier ..

No potato of any kind for me, I love mushrooms but done in a pot with garlic, salt and black pepper, no oil or butter, the salt draws out the water from the mushrooms do you don't need oil, and they're just yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Jayferg

Beans can feck right off. Thick, grilled rashers, grilled sausages, grilled Tullamore white pudding with fried onions egg and buttered toast. Buckets of tea. Brown sauce. But not in the tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I dont mind tomatoes in their right place such as in salads. But they have no place in a fry or on a burger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

rashers, black and white puddin, sausage, fried eggs, toast, tea

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

Happy4all wrote: »
    I don't mind a fried tomato, but I've seen English people include tinned tomatoes with fries....vile! thankfully never seen them with an Irish Fry

Yeah tinned tomatoes and a 'bit a ****in bubble' as well to round off this cockney delight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭van_beano

Had a Gerry's this morn, delicious :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I might pop down the centra and see have they any fry stuff on the deli counter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Jayferg wrote: »
    Beans can feck right off. Thick, grilled rashers, grilled sausages, grilled Tullamore white pudding with fried onions egg and buttered toast. Buckets of tea. Brown sauce. But not in the tea.

That’s a grill. I don’t know since I don’t cook myself a fryup very often but I always assumed the fry needed a frying pan for all cooked meats and the eggs. Or is that old fashioned.

That’s a grill. I don’t know since I don’t cook myself a fryup very often but I always assumed the fry needed a frying pan for all cooked meats and the eggs. Or is that old fashioned.

You may get with the times. This time next year it'll all have to be vegan anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭trashcan

Hark!!! What's that I hear?! ... Pearce and Collins turning in their graves!

Padraig certainly will be if he sees how you spelt his surname :P

As for the fry, very few no no's for me. I don't worry too much about authenticity. I always grill mine ( except the eggs obviously) to maintain some illusions of being slightly more healthy. I'd have grilled tomatoe (not tinned though, yuck) and hash browns at times, beans too sometimes. Clonakily black pudding is my fave. Very rarely go all out now though, find the whole shebang a bit too much, sadly.

• Advertisement

It's called a "grill up" if you're eating it after midday when you're gone into lunch territory. It's a "fry up" before midday.

van_beano wrote: »
    It's called a "grill up" if you're eating it after midday when you're gone into lunch territory. It's a "fry up" before midday.

It's a fry. There's no 'up' unless you're English and also call all dinners 'a roast'.

Patww79 wrote: »
    It's a fry. There's no 'up' unless you're English and also call all dinners 'a roast'.

I'll be having the 'roast' tomorrow after Church service with 'me brew'

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Jayferg

I fry the eggs and onions, grill the meat. Just find it tastier that way. Also all the ****e that comes out of the rashers and sausages ruins the pan for frying an egg on

I fry the eggs and onions, grill the meat. Just find it tastier that way. Also all the ****e that comes out of the rashers and sausages ruins the pan for frying an egg on

You need all the good stuff out of the rashers and sausages so you can tip the beans into it to heat them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

My ideal Irish fry has spiced sausage patties (like the ones that come in an egg mcmuffin). Lots of crispy streaky bacon. Drizzles of maple syrup. A large stack of pancakes with blueberries and cream. 2 eggs sunny side up. Blood sausage and a side of French toast.

Delicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

White pudding. Disgusting stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭limnam

For those saying no to tomatoes in a fry, you don't have to cook them. Cut them up into fine slices, then salt and pepper them, drizzle with a little olive oil and then garniai with basil and voila.

Salted fruit on a fry (up removed as I don't want to upset pat) :D

I want off this spinning thing. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Controversial but my fav is the vegetarian fry our local Deli has. Not a veggie but not a fan of the fry meats.
    Fried egg, hash browns, tomato, beans, mushrooms with homemade brown bread. The best.

• Advertisement

You are no more than a rank amateur. The very best of fried eggs are prepared using the fat from rashers and sausages, with a bit of real butter to keep things dripping.

Next you'll be telling me coconut oil is a good alternative to dead pig grease.

Damned hippies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭per aspera ad astra

White pudding. Disgusting stuff
    I agree – the white pudding you're thinking about is rough stuff. But the white pudding that I'm thinking of – is anything but it.

LirW wrote: »
    Controversial but my fav is the vegetarian fry our local Deli has. Not a veggie but not a fan of the fry meats.
    Fried egg, hash browns, tomato, beans, mushrooms with homemade brown bread. The best.

That's not controversial. That's just plain stupid. If it does not contain meat, it is not a fry. It's just vegetables, legumes and bread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Not too much heroin.

JayZeus wrote: »
    That's not controversial. That's just plain stupid. If it does not contain meat, it is not a fry. It's just vegetables, legumes and bread.

An Irish fry is based on where it is made and not its contents.

If its prepared in Ireland and eaten for breakfast its an Irish Fry Up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Depends on the time of day for me.
    Breakfast I'll be happy with sausages rashers pudding preferably black and sunny side up fried egg. Brown bread/cake tea.
    Any other time you can also include beans mushrooms onions and fried spud. Chips are acceptable.
    Tomatoes either raw or fried can feck right off as can scrambled egg.
    Stayed in a guest house in Port Laoise years ago for a fortnight and the landlady was obsessed with putting 2 beef burgers in a breakfast fry. Yes I'd eat them but for breakfast it was a first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

My ideal Irish fry has spiced sausage patties (like the ones that come in an egg mcmuffin). Lots of crispy streaky bacon. Drizzles of maple syrup. A large stack of pancakes with blueberries and cream. 2 eggs sunny side up. Blood sausage and a side of French toast.

Delicious.
    I presume you're joking. If anything, that's an American fry. Patties? Bacon (not rashers)? Maple Syrup? Pancakes? Blueberries? Sunny side up? Blood sausage?

That's not a breakfast for Pintman Paddy Losty! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Main no-no for me is beans and chips.
    Don't mind mushrooms.

Just cooked myself a fry about half an hour ago.

I always find the eggs difficult - my wife is much better at getting them properly runny with a decent "skin" - but she's at work. I turn them in the pan for about 2 or 3 seconds but lifting them off upside down is tricky.

Sausages / Rashers - Tesco Finest
    Pudding / Eggs - Dunnes Simply Better

It's a slice of fried bread underneath the eggs.

41309167_10160989397780089_848047593312223232_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=e0b2ea4762b194443932757cb4132303&oe=5C3AF74D

Delicious.

Whatever that is it isn’t Irish.

I'll tell the lady doing it that a man on the internet said her fry is stupid because it doesn't contain meat.
    Next time I make sure to order a pound of rashers with it to make it a proper fry.

Seriously, I hate sausages, hate pudding, not too fond of rashers either (rarely). There I said it, immigration should deport me now.

An Irish fry is based on where it is made and not its contents.

If its prepared in Ireland and eaten for breakfast its an Irish Fry Up

:rolleyes:

A 'fry up' prepared and eaten for breakfast in Ireland is not the same thing as an Irish Fry.

It might look like they're the same thing to you, I suppose.

CfQ07-_UYAEe5m2.jpg

• Advertisement

I'll tell the lady doing it that a man on the internet said her fry is stupid because it doesn't contain meat.
    Next time I make sure to order a pound of rashers with it to make it a proper fry.

Seriously, I hate sausages, hate pudding, not too fond of rashers either (rarely). There I said it, immigration should deport me now.

That's perfectly fine, but it's still not a fry.

:rolleyes:

A 'fry up' prepared and eaten for breakfast in Ireland is not the same thing as an Irish Fry.

It might look like they're the same thing to you, I suppose.

CfQ07-_UYAEe5m2.jpg

There is no laid down standard as to what should be in an Irish Fry Up therefore its up to the person making it. As long as it is made in Ireland it is an Irish Fry Up.

You might like it, she might make a 'mean' plate of vegetables and bake a nice bread. It doesn't make it an Irish fry, no matter how much you wish it would, or say it is.

No sausages, rashers and pudding, it's not an Irish fry. Whatever about soda farls, potato bread, mushrooms or tomato, without the meat, it's just some other food. It's a lamb in wolfs clothing.

There is no laid down standard as to what should be in an Irish Fry Up therefore its up to the person making it. As long as it is made in Ireland it is an Irish Fry Up.

You said that before and you're still wrong.

That’s there’s no exact standard doesn’t mean there’s no limit. There’s some controversy over mushrooms etc but none over rashers, sausages and eggs. That doesn’t mean you can add anything.

Your breakfast is American and if served somewhere commercial as an Irish breakfast would lead to trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I think the British have baked beans when they are having a fry for their 'tea'. Kevin Webster from Corrie always did anyway. You have to eat that dish like a pig for full effect btw.

There used to be a British TV show a few years back where 2 families were matched up to go on holiday together. One show had a working class family paired with a middle class family. On any day one family would decide what they would do/eat and the other had to follow.

One evening it was the working class families turn to cook and the working class mum said they were having 'beans'..etc. The middle class mum said somewhat incredulously "Beans? beans? What do mean beans- what kind of beans?". The mums didn't particularly get on btw. The working class mum must have though her to be complexly thick and replied - "Beans! Beans! -in tomato sauce - BAKED BEANS!". Like what else! Haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

For the record the ultimate is

2 fried eggs
    2 decent sausages - have to be good, there's a lot of muck around - grilled
    At least 2 rashers - grilled
    Fried mushrooms
    Potato bread
    Soda bread
    A small measure of beans in a ramekin
    Toast on the side
    Full pot of tea
    Half an hour to eat and sit happily after without having to move

Patww79 wrote: »
    That's perfectly fine, but it's still not a fry.

Okay in this case: I don't like a fry.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Chips are a no-no. My ultimate fry is:

Rashers, Sausages, B&W pudding, 2 fried eggs- runny, Beans, Mushrooms (sauteed in butter with a dash of soy sauce.) with Toast, soda bread, butter and loads of tea. Scots add square sausage which is delicious and potato cakes (a bit like the potato farls but crispier) so I'd allow those on an Irish fry.

My ultimate breakfast roll is a warm baguette with butter mayonnaise, rashers and chips. It's a brilliant hangover food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Bonus item - if you can find one

zOl2IofVMJY0bj8B9ZfcES5DIsQpJ-u7PtFzJEtEqJICt4glggvXjvmecm1jpD_P1PF3gxURQR016YXxGqkrN-6J=s350

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

My only real no no is putting turkey rashers and sausages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

limnam wrote: »
    Have you tried Jack McCarthy's of kanturk?

Not sure if they sell it in Dub. It's unreal.

It's used be a lot better but now I feel it's becoming mass produced due to them stocking various supermarkets/etc.

You said that before and you're still wrong.

No you are incorrect. Show me where the there is an agreed ISO on the contents and preparation method of an Irish Fry Up?

No you are incorrect. Show me where the there is an agreed ISO on the contents and preparation method of an Irish Fry Up?

Rule 1: If it's Irish then it is not a Fry 'Up'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Delicious.
    . Sounds like one I tried in the US recently
    Add some
    grits (weird porridgey thing in a bowl on the same plate)
    Sausage gravy ( white like a carbonara sauce)
    Biscuits ( like a pie crust)
    Hash brown ( the real deal that was nice)

An Irish Fry Up? Nowhere. There's no such thing as an Irish Fry Up. But hey, stick with it. Why not.

I'll tell you one thing for sure, nobody with half a brain could seriously suggest pancakes and maple syrup, bacon and sausage 'patties' are part of any kind of typical Irish breakfast.

If you make Tagliatelle Carbonara in Skerries or Skibereen, do you try to tell people it's not Tagliatelle Carbonara because it's not made in Italy, that it is in fact Cheesy-Paddy-Losty-Noodles-with-Egg-and-Ham? No, you don't. Or if you do, you'd be identified as some kind of idiot.

So you can make an American breakfast in Ireland, but it's still an American breakfast as determined by the bulk of its constituent servings, not an Irish Fry 'Up' just because you serve it for breakfast in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,081 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Bonus item - if you can find one

zOl2IofVMJY0bj8B9ZfcES5DIsQpJ-u7PtFzJEtEqJICt4glggvXjvmecm1jpD_P1PF3gxURQR016YXxGqkrN-6J=s350

Whatever happened to their sausages ?
    I used to love them :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Mam of 4 wrote: »

Saw them in Dunnes CityWest today.

Mam of 4 wrote: »

Different packaging, same sausages.

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=254059259

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

All of it. Fry ups are too big and salty.

I like individual components. I like rashers and eggs and mushrooms and potatoey things. Sausages not so much. And pudding perplexes me. But even the things I like, I’d rather just eat in much smaller quantities or on their own.

This is going to sound daft but I persisted for a few years into my 20s ordering fry ups when out for breakfast and eating breakfast rolls because they are such a big part of Irish culture and I thought that I was supposed to like them. Like I wasn’t a real Irish person if I didn’t. :o It was revelatory when I realised that I didn’t have to eat a huge gluttonous breakfast if we went out to eat. So now I eat more manageable stuff that I much prefer like bacon baps or french toast or various eggs. Delish and I don’t feel like I’m gestating a food baby afterwards.

Advertisement