Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oktoberfest Beag cancelled in Cork

Options
  • 08-09-2018 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

Bit surprised to see this post on facebook this morning. Gone a few times and it seemed pretty popular. Wonder what the complaints were.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Vintners Federation. I'm sure their motivations for the objection were sincere and not cynical in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

While I've never been to this and I have no interest in ever going, this really shows up the Vintner's Federation for what it is : a retrograde, small minded, mean spirited bunch of self serving muppets who can't see beyond their noses.

They are also in the pockets of the big Breweries who screw them on price every day. It's rather interesting the you can pay your VFI subscription through your Diageo account. Why would this be the case if they are an independent association?

They are also too stupid to realise that bringing people to the city and getting people out and about, generally is good for all business.
    This are also the organisation that told their members a few years ago to not bother with craft beer and to stick with the big breweries who look after them (I heard a spokesperson on the radio say this). Bear in mind that the big breweries are all foreign owned while most of the craft beer sold in pubs is made by small, independently owned, Irish companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Mixed feelings. Looked messy whenever I happened to pass by, wouldn't be an event I would ever consider going to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Vintners Federation. I'm sure their motivations for the objection were sincere and not cynical in any way.

Of course. It had nothing to do with greed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

That's very disappointing. Interested in hearing the full story, and immediately suspicious of VFI-large breweries.

Wonder could sth happen - even now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

VFI released a statement per the attached link.
    https://www.facebook.com/131828430191615/posts/2253370331370737/
    However, this appears to have refuted by festival organisers. VFI have a lot to answer for....

https://www.facebook.com/events/1070092289805250/permalink/1137609853053493/

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Apt8

Anyone have a list of the pubs that would be directly profiting from this objection?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Apt8 wrote: »
    Anyone have a list of the pubs that would be directly profiting from this objection?

To be honest, I don't think any pubs will benefit from this stupid carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Apt8

Agreed there, allow me to rephrase, would love to know what pubs the objectors profit from.

Clearly someone was acting in their own interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I've been to it a few times with work and it was always a good night.

It was better when it was in the brewery IMO, the Marquee was just too big but the fact they sold out tickets for the Marquee on some nights showed how popular it was and every time after it, we'd stroll into town and line the pubs pockets too, a win/win for everyone involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

I was at the very first one, down in City Limits on Coburg Street, however many years ago.

Had a great time at the thing, it was before they physically moved the location and moved towards group bookings only, priced for companies.

The strength of the beer and the fact we were drinking the 1 litre as if it were a pint caught us out.

The women serving the tables looked very erm.. enhanced, so we were convinced they had the girls from the two nearby strip clubs working there.

I'd say the job in the Marquee was pretty useful for students.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

The vast size of the tent out by the marina did hamper the atmosphere but the selection of beer was great, The Bavarian music a novelty and it was just something different to do on a evening after work. Very sad to see it go.

It was probably ideal for a few corporate party planners to book a table for 30 and get everyone in for an end of summer stein and bratwurst. This is probably the juicy pie the VFI had their eyes on. Very selfish, narrow-minded and underhanded for the VFI to go after an event of this sort. God forbid they would see a dip in their revenue for 6 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

I'm sure it had nothing to do with their 33% profit margin aims too and that it was for public health reasons such as the strength of the beer etc.

Advertisement