Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm confused...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Are you for real?

What you insinuating is a requirement for an ethnic cleansing of the poor. Good. God.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

No, just balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Where did he say he wants to cleanse them. i think its more along the lines that the situation should be reversed where the hard working people who spend 2hours a day or more to get to work should have better features compared to people who dont plan their future and apply for social housing the minute they hit 18years of age.

Its all well and good that they want to be near their family however if your getting something for free, beggars cant be choosers, while the people who are actually saving sometimes up to a decade still live a good hour away from their family and support because "thats life"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

myshirt wrote: »
    Are you for real?

What you insinuating is a requirement for an ethnic cleansing of the poor. Good. God.

e31.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

Are you for real?

Absolutely incredible, no insinuating about it. Just move them to Leitrim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I just read about a development of new houses built in Dun Laoighaire, one of Dublin's exclusive suburbs and desirable place to live. They are all being given away as social housing... But people who have worked hard to earn enough to meet the stringent mortgage criteria and who have saved 10s of thousands of euro are forced to live out in the west of the county in underdeveloped areas that have poor infrastructure and transport... I see the same in inchicore, 500 new social houses, while actual buyers are forced out of the market. It's insane.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/absolutely-rapid-dún-laoghaire-s-fine-new-terrace-of-quick-build-houses-1.3613902?mode=amp

Ah come on now - none of that is believable!.

I mean "Dun Laoighaire, one of Dublin's exclusive suburbs and desirable place to live."

Ffs :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Are you for real?

I think you may need to revisit your reading comprehension skills.

The poster has simply suggested that developments not be exclusively social housing and to make it easier for working people to buy homes close to where they work.

"Ethnic cleansing" - Jesus Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

No problems with providing social housing in DunLaoighre. The way in which social housing is allocated in general however encourages multi generational welfare dependence. The only thing that should give an applicant priority in an area is employment in that area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

gozunda wrote: »
    Ah come on now - none of that is believable!.

I mean "Dun Laoighaire, one of Dublin's exclusive suburbs and desirable place to live."

Ffs :rolleyes:

?

Surely it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

sarcasm hasn't visited this board yet, I see?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Senature

Currently I live in a suburb of Dublin, in a privately owned, small 2 bed terraced house with a postage stamp garden that is about 100 years old. My partner's children, a preteen boy and a teenage girl, live with us about one third of the time. They share a bedroom. Their schools are 15-25 minutes drive away, there is no public transport to either of them. For both of us, our commute to work is 40-60 minutes each way. His parents live 15 minutes drive away, mine 35 minutes when there's no traffic, 90 when there is. His sister is overseas, mine is a 1 hour away.

If the state has a principle that it is best for people to be housed according to family and social supports, distance from schools, required number of bedrooms for family size/sexual orientation, ber ratings etc, that should apply to all citizens, not just those availing of social housing supports. Mad how people can abhor the suggestion that these things should be made a bit less of a priority in social housing allocation when many throughout the country are already forced to live this way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Amirani wrote: »
    I think you may need to revisit your reading comprehension skills.

The poster has simply suggested that developments not be exclusively social housing and to make it easier for working people to buy homes close to where they work.

"Ethnic cleansing" - Jesus Christ.

Jesus taking credit for this quote?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

alias no.9 wrote: »
    DunLaoighre

Where's that?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

All the councils have a quota of social housing to deliver. This is part of DLR County Council building their quota. I really don't see what the issue is. People are complaining not enough social housing is being built and then they complain when it is.

Caranica wrote: »
    All the councils have a quota of social housing to deliver. This is part of DLR County Council building their quota. I really don't see what the issue is. People are complaining not enough social housing is being built and then they complain when it is.
    I think most people recognise the need for social housing. Currently in Dun Laoghaire town, there are small, old 2 bed houses for sale for 3-400k, that were previously council houses. That's your only option for living in a house in Dun Laoghaire if you're buying privately at that end of the market. In contrast, if you're on the social housing list, you are allocated a brand new house with all mod cons in the centre of town, up the road from the harbour and Dart station, paying minimal rent.
    The problem is the inequality this represents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

A&P - "There is too much pressure on private landlords, we need more social housing!"

Also A&P - "Why are they building social houses, we need more private housing!"

Pick a lane, people!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I'm just confused by social housing and the criteria to get a house... I know allot of people who don't own a house, nor have the prospect of owning a house, yet they have no access to social housing... Others seem to have an entitlement to social housing... Yet if you aren't entitled to a house from the state, you have to pay prices that are inflated by the virtue of social housing and this MAP inflated rent allowance.

Just to clarify... I don't believe in social housing in its current format. No one should get a social house without meaningfully contributing to it's financing, upkeep and maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

rawn wrote: »
    A&P - "There is too much pressure on private landlords, we need more social housing!"

Also A&P - "Why are they building social houses, we need more private housing!"

Pick a lane, people!

If you think those are 2 equal but opposite lanes please tell me you don’t have a driving license?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Caranica wrote: »

They complain WHERE it is. Why are prime housing spots being given to people who can't pay for them, while people who can are pushed further out?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I'm just confused by social housing and the criteria to get a house... I know allot of people who don't own a house, nor have the prospect of owning a house, yet they have no access to social housing... Others seem to have an entitlement to social housing... Yet if you aren't entitled to a house from the state, you have to pay prices that are inflated by the virtue of social housing and this MAP inflated rent allowance.

Just to clarify... I don't believe in social housing in its current format. No one should get a social house without meaningfully contributing to it's financing, upkeep and maintenance.

Not sure what you are basing this on? Everyone who qualifies ie income wise and need, has a right to social housing. If they choose and get on to a list. If your income is above that level of qualification, then you rent privately and again may get help from HAP

Council tenants pay rent within their income. If their sole income is social welfare then of course the rent is very low as makes no sense to pay them more welfare because council rents are high.
    If you are eg unemployed/disabled/old, how can you contribute as you suggest?

• Advertisement

They complain WHERE it is. Why are prime housing spots being given to people who can't pay for them, while people who can are pushed further out?

Again the term ghetto will come into play here. And rightly

Senature wrote: »
    I think most people recognise the need for social housing. Currently in Dun Laoghaire town, there are small, old 2 bed houses for sale for 3-400k, that were previously council houses. That's your only option for living in a house in Dun Laoghaire if you're buying privately at that end of the market. In contrast, if you're on the social housing list, you are allocated a brand new house with all mod cons in the centre of town, up the road from the harbour and Dart station, paying minimal rent.
    The problem is the inequality this represents.

and why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/more-than-1-000-homes-planned-for-council-site-in-north-dublin-1.3597595

The local authority is also building house,s for people on lower incomes who are working full time.
    The economy is booming, there are simply not enough houses being built
    to catch up with demand in dublin.
    Many builders find it more attractive to build new offices or student accomodation.
    Its not right to say the council should not build in certain middle class area,s
    It would help if the council allowed apartments to be built above 5 storys
    in certain area,s .

If the state can house 100 homeless families outside Dublin for the price of housing 10 homeless families in Dublin, it is beyond irresponsible of the state to take the latter course of action.

The vast majority of Irish people have to leave their home place - be it their native village, town, county or Ireland - to find a job and thus a home. This has been going on since at least An Gorta Mór 1845-51. Both my parents, and seven of my older siblings fled Ireland - the former in the 1950s, the latter in the 1980s. This is a common Irish experience.

Given this reality for people who buy their own homes, it is utterly indefensible to contend that a homeless Dublin person has a special right to a state-financed home in Dublin. There are people on the housing list who are hardballing the system in order to secure a home in Dublin. A fair system would decree that once these people refuse a home outside Dublin, they should be removed from the homeless list. Then, should they persist in keeping their little children in homeless shelters, they should be prosecuted for child neglect for using and exploiting their children like that. Far too much pussyfooting on this issue.

The housing shortage is an absolute shame on this state. But the current refusal to have the balls to stand up to the Margaret Cash types of society is playing into the hands of all the "Let them eat cake" rightwingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Do folk not understand that each Council has a remit on housing. That means DLRC have to house social housing applicants.
    Further, if someone is homeless in Dublin and go to Mayo, MayoCoCo will send them back to Dublin. If they are seeking housing, they have to apply to the area where they are from.
    It's the way the system is set up. It's not the applicant's fault.

To reflect reality, I think it would help if the structure of social housing rent was changed in two major ways. One, a rent price is set for a property type, size and location, and that is the price for everyone, regardless of income. Two, the rent is automatically deducted weekly either from your wages via tax credit reduction (similar LPT), or from your social welfare payment.

People would then choose if it is really worth living in the smaller 2 bed in Dun Laoghaire, or if they should move further away from town and have a 3 bed house with garden instead for example. Older people whose children have left home might prefer to move to a smaller place nearer a town or village, freeing up a bigger home for a family etc.

The way it is currently structured favours people who falsify their income declarations, build up large arrears, and just sit on the list until they get their ideal house/location. Not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

The remit for local authorities isn't (or shouldn't be) just for social housing. It's for housing everybody.

These houses are turning out very expensive to build. The private sector is building three-beds for around the 170k mark (see SCSI calculator - https://www.scsi.ie/research_guidance/house_delivery_cost_calculator) . According to the report, these are costing almost 250k.

It is hard to see how this is an equitable or efficient way to provide housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭Quandary

The system needs to be changed because it is not fit for purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

The other thing to take into account is that these are on council land. DLR don't just own land in Ballybrack and Sallynoggin. Should they have sold the land for private development and built elsewhere if the problem people have is where these houses are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

zell12 wrote: »
    Do folk not understand that each Council has a remit on housing. That means DLRC have to house social housing applicants.
    Further, if someone is homeless in Dublin and go to Mayo, MayoCoCo will send them back to Dublin. If they are seeking housing, they have to apply to the area where they are from.
    It's the way the system is set up. It's not the applicant's fault.

If I want to buy a home in Dublin I have zero chance of buying close to my parents home. So I, and my siblings, have had to move to other parts of Dublin to live in older built properties which we have to modernise. Why do people getting a modern super insulted property get to live in the prime area while paying feck all for it?

Advertisement