Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vuelta 2018 stage 14:Cistierna - Les Praeres de Nava 171km

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

All splitting to bits on the lower slopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

All that work from bahrain and izaguirre is nowhere immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Most of GC contenders still up front.

Unregistered Users

Yates takes stage and red jersey.

joujoujou wrote: »
    Yates takes stage and red jersey.

He made back around the 5 seconds, maybe a couple of more, that he lost to Quintana yesterday there. Quintana just seems to lack the faith in himself to keep it going when he attacks and gets a gap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

..Is Quintana the worst GC contender of his generation?

Awful tactician.

TheBlaaMan wrote: »

Awful tactician.

Agreed, very hard to fathom what on earth he was trying to do there!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I can't believe that neither Quintana or Superman Lopez didn't win that stage... they had the legs. Chapeau to Yates, he grabbed the opportunity when the others were too busy looking at each other

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I reckon the narrative is already set, Quintana was blamed before about not attacking and sitting on wheels. This time, he attacked and brought lopez with him, but he wouldnt help. That's fair enough.

The fact Kirby wouldnt shut up about it either for the last 15 mins...

I can't believe that neither Quintana or Superman Lopez didn't win that stage... they had the legs. Chapeau to Yates, he grabbed the opportunity when the others were too busy looking at each other

Agreed, MAL seems to have the best climbing legs in the race, Quintana seems to have no tactical nouse whatsoever, and Yates was able to capitalise when he didn't seem to be the strongest man on that mountain, just used his Purito like last km skills having been allowed back on each time riders went up the road and started looking at each other!

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

[...] Chapeau to Yates, he grabbed the opportunity when the others were too busy looking at each other

Like yesterday's stage winner, I'd say. :)

Rough TT Estimates on the 32km flattish TT

Valverde 0.00
    Yates +30secs
    Quintana +1 minutes
    Miguel Angel Lopez + 1.30 secs

There's some other decent TTers who could still be in contention I guess, but these 4 seem to be the emerging favourites.

Tomorrow's final climb is a brute as well, perhaps more suited to Quintana

2e367

Stage Results

hIkmUYV.png

GC Standings

vWWpBVU.png

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Awful tactician.

I can only imagine what his DS is like in the car hearing what is going on.

He could have had the stage & red jersey today with a decent gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

dahat wrote: »
    I can only imagine what his DS is like in the car hearing what is going on.

He could have had the stage & red jersey today with a decent gap.

Who knows whats going on with Quintana. He clearly has enormous natural ability which allows him to climb in conditions that are optimum for his talent (as we saw in the Tour), but beyond that, it seems, most of the time, that he is either overcome with doubt/fear or just plans badly. I dont think it is the 'you have to be prepared to lose in order to try to win' strategy that you see with some of the other contenders. He sure is frustrating to watch,

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Who knows whats going on with Quintana. He clearly has enormous natural ability which allows him to climb in conditions that are optimum for his talent (as we saw in the Tour), but beyond that, it seems, most of the time, that he is either overcome with doubt/fear or just plans badly. I dont think it is the 'you have to be prepared to lose in order to try to win' strategy that you see with some of the other contenders. He sure is frustrating to watch,

Absolute lack of confidence in his own ability to drive on.

Even Kirby got it right on commentary re: Quintana having to invest sometimes. Even if he'd taken lopez with him and finished second he'd have likely taken the jersey. Infuriating to watch as he's looked very good so far here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Update on Louis Meintjes

https://twitter.com/TeamDiData/status/1038516084591259648

Dr Jarrad van Zuydam – Team Doctor
    Louis had a nasty crash on a descent today while trying to chase back to the front group. He crashed on a corner and rolled down an embankment. He has suffered some injuries, he has a big laceration to the left elbow which required stitches. He has various other lacerations and abrasions which are relatively minor and wont need much more then cleaning and dressing.

There was obviously some concern when we saw the footage of the crash, because of the way Louis stumbled and there were concerns of a potential head injury and concussion in particular. Louis has been assessed thoroughly and he currently does not show any symptoms of a concussion.

He will be reassessed in the morning and if he passes that test he will undergo an exercise stress test to see if that induces any symptoms before we give any go-ahead for him to race.

Advertisement