Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to backup a dual booted Laptop(Windows 10 home and Ubuntu 16.4)

Options
  • 08-09-2018 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

I m thinking of upgrading to Windows Pro and would like to backup my dual booted Laptop which has Windows 10 Home and Ubuntu 16.4 installed.

What's the best backup method to use.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

You cannot effectively backup the laptop .... well I guess you could make a clone copy of the HDD, but that does not appear to be what you mean.

What is it you wish to back up?

Presumably you have already in place backups of your data which are on a separate device or off site (cloud service).

Do a new install and copy back your backed up data?

Do the same for the Ubuntu install if you wish ..... but it should be able to stay there while you do a new install of Windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭breadmond

You could clone the Linux volume using something like clonezilla then just upgrade the windows installation. This should still leave your files from the old windows installation intact

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

You cannot effectively backup the laptop .... well I guess you could make a clone copy of the HDD, but that does not appear to be what you mean.

What is it you wish to back up?

Presumably you have already in place backups of your data which are on a separate device or off site (cloud service).

Do a new install and copy back your backed up data?

Do the same for the Ubuntu install if you wish ..... but it should be able to stay there while you do a new install of Windows.

I was hoping to back up both Operating Systems at the same time as one Image on a DVD disc. Is that possible?

I'm concerned that if I upgrade to Windows Pro that I will lose the Ubuntu OS. It took a lot of effort to Install it correctly in the first place so I don't want to have to go through that again.

breadmond wrote: »
    You could clone the Linux volume using something like clonezilla then just upgrade the windows installation. This should still leave your files from the old windows installation intact

I presume you mean backup both OS separately, e.g cloning Ubuntu and backing up Windows 10 to Image.
    Would upgrading to Pro affect the Linux install?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I was hoping to back up both Operating Systems at the same time as one Image on a DVD disc. Is that possible?

I'm concerned that if I upgrade to Windows Pro that I will lose the Ubuntu OS. It took a lot of effort to Install it correctly in the first place so I don't want to have to go through that again.

Then you would be better served using one of the tools available in Ubuntu to back up that OS.
    Save your Win data on another drive or media also.

Then proceed with the upgrade of Win.

You might have to reinstall Grub after the Win upgrade ... or might not.
    I have never done this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,446 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

this is a method for changing your home edition to Pro

a. Close all applications
    b. Choose Start – Settings – Update & Activation
    c. Choose Change Product key and enter the following generic product key which has been provided by Microsoft to allow the switch from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro:
    VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

This switches the device to Windows 10 Pro in an ‘non-activated’ state. To activate it fully:

d. Go back into Start – Settings – Update & Activation
    e. Enter your Windows 10 Pro key
    f. If the product key is not accepted, and you’ve confirmed it is the latest one, then try the following:
    Hold Windows key and ‘R’ to get the Run box. Type in ‘slui 03’ and hit Enter. Enter the Product Key.

Skerries wrote: »
    this is a method for changing your home edition to Pro

a. Close all applications
    b. Choose Start – Settings – Update & Activation
    c. Choose Change Product key and enter the following generic product key which has been provided by Microsoft to allow the switch from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro:
    VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

This switches the device to Windows 10 Pro in an ‘non-activated’ state. To activate it fully:

d. Go back into Start – Settings – Update & Activation
    e. Enter your Windows 10 Pro key
    f. If the product key is not accepted, and you’ve confirmed it is the latest one, then try the following:
    Hold Windows key and ‘R’ to get the Run box. Type in ‘slui 03’ and hit Enter. Enter the Product Key.

I do not have a Windows 10 product key. My Windows 10 was a free upgrade from Windows 8.1. My Laptop is linked to Windows 10 by a Licence Key which only Windows knows.

Is the Generic the same as updating from the Microsoft Store. How does someone obtain the Generic key above, I wasn't aware of it until now.?

What is slui 03?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,446 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

the generic key is from MS and allows you to change to pro but in a non activated format so there will be a watermark but still fully functional
    slui 03 just opens the licence user interface and the 03 used to be the 3rd tab across

Skerries wrote: »
    the generic key is from MS and allows you to change to pro but in a non activated format so there will be a watermark but still fully functional
    slui 03 just opens the licence user interface and the 03 used to be the 3rd tab across

Thanks for the explanation. I don't want to use a pirated Key.

Will I be able to disable Windows updates in the Pro version if it's not activated. I tether my phone to the laptop for internet data but updates eat into my data allowance.

Are there any issues if I sell the Laptop later with the non activated Windows Pro version instaled

Advertisement