Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the Septic Tank alternatives for a Small Holding

Options
  • 08-09-2018 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hello everyone,
    I have recently purchased a decommissioned 2 roomed school house (1989) that stands on a 100ft square plot of land.
    The boundary wall is well defined, however the existing septic tank that pertained to the school is on commonage (Split between 7 people) just outside the boundary wall.
    All but one agree to give me legal access to it (to modernise and upgrade it) which I need in order to apply for planning to change to the building to residential use (need planning permission also if I wanted to extend it)
    My pre-planning session (Mayo Co. Council) told me I won't get planning for the septic tank without all signatures.
    I have unfortunately accepted that I am never going to get the 7 agreements (in my lifetime anyway) The one that doesn't agree is beyond redemption.
    So I need to think outside the box and get my ducks in a row before spending any more money on it.
    The existing building is solid but needs a new roof.

So my questions are:
    1. What alternatives are there for waste treatment on that size plot for 1 or 2 bedrooms (within the boundary wall) that will meet planning requirements for when I apply?

2. Should I just go ahead and just re-roof the existing building and remodel inside, (no extensions or changes) It would then be a 2 bed-roomed house with mezzanine floors.
    I assume I need to apply anyway for change of use to residential?
    Do I apply for planning then?

3. What would you do in this situation?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!.
    I love the location of the house and would hate to have to put it up for sale again without giving the dream a good go.
    Thanks in advance!
    Ted

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭rayjdav

Is there a local Irish Water mains and if so possible connection to it?
    Do I read that you have now no access to foul treatment to the unit? On that basis I would do absolutely nothing until this at the very least is resolved as you cannot inhabit it without foul waste resolved.
    Did this issue not arise prior to the purchase and if so who advised to proceed :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Tedsville

Hi Rayjday,
    I appreciate the quick reply and thanks for reading!
    I bought it as it was, and in hindsight, yes eek, it was naive.
    It is on a main ‘B’ artery road so will have assess to a water connection, so that’s something. I am sitting tight but just wanted to educate myself before making any decisions.
    I have the phone number of a local EPA man & will phone him next week for advice also.
    Thanks again, enjoy your night,
    Ted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭rayjdav

I meant is there a possible local foul mains that you could connect to? Depending on infrastructure, you could, alone or as a group, apply for connection to IW service for foul. If this was in place and approved you could proceed with your planning and renovations.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Can it not be legally established that a long stand easement exists to service the tank?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

rayjdav wrote: »
    I meant is there a possible local foul mains that you could connect to? Depending on infrastructure, you could, alone or as a group, apply for connection to IW service for foul. If this was in place and approved you could proceed with your planning and renovations. Was the size of the plot (100sqft) correct?

I read it as 100ft square, so approx 1/4 acres.

Might be enough for a biocycle, but site suitability survey would be needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

How old is the tank and what is its history?
    Dose the property have access to the tank at the moment ie is it currently piped into the tank?
    Is the tank able to cope with the current domestic output?
    Has Mayo CC inspected the tank under the current regs?
    If so what was the outcome?
    Can the tank cope with your additional discharge?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Tedsville

Thanks guys, I’ll take all the elements of your posts and investigate.

I’ll check if there’s a local foul mains that collude be a potiental connection point.
    I’ll also ask EPA man about the bio cycle requirements.
    Whatever happens I think I’ll need a site survey.
    The easement case can be argues legally as the tank has been newly registered as the tank connected to the school.
    The last planning permission for the tank is from the late 1970’s so an overhaul of the existing treatment would be necessary even if I had legal access to it. A site survey would reveal where the exiting pipes are.
    Thanks again for all your help.
    I’ll pass on anything I learn on the way as it may be a help to others in a similar situation. Cheers!

Advertisement