Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kebab city centre

Options
  • 08-09-2018 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

Where does a nice kebab in Galway City? Looking for recommendations please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭ratracer

Charcoal grill, Cross St. Go for the Charcoal Special, you’ll do well to finish it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Capital kebab on Eglington St a few doors up from the € shop there.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Plus one for capital - the last time I went to charcoal I was disappointed in the pitta

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭.red.

If your on Facebook, look up Dublin Kebab Club.
    They take their kebabs seriously and don't hold back if something isn't upto standard.
    Ask on the page and you should get a few recommendations.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Bredabe wrote: »
    Capital kebab on Eglington St a few doors up from the € shop there.

Yes this.
    I think they might have opened another shop nearby?

Go early in to get the proper kebab on a plate rather than the drunken version in the Styrofoam box. Big size too, very filling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

.red. wrote: »
    This is the Galway city forum.

Another vote for Charcoal from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

They take their kebabs seriously and don't hold back if something isn't upto standard.
    Ask on the page and you should get a few recommendations.

I used to follow them when they first started but they just turned into an advertisement for Zaytoon and passion 4 food when they started giving them freebies. Couldn't make a bad comment about them on the page before it was deleted.

biko wrote: »
    This is the Galway city forum.

Another vote for Charcoal from me.

Which is why I said ask on the page and you'll get a reply from kebab purist who's been to Galway.
    Some people think abrakebabra is good, I wouldn't eat that drunk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

capitol kebab on eglington street is far superior to charcoal in my opinion.
    but if being honest with choices thats on offer during daytime in the last year or two its being a while since a had one or the desire to have one.

lack of 2am /3 am hunger needs are also to blame, #gettingold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

ArtyC wrote: »
    Plus one for capital - the last time I went to charcoal I was disappointed in the pitta

+1, Capital over Charcoal as they make their own pitta.

Now for the wildcard....
    "Pomegranate" next to Capital on Eglington Street. It's all-you-can-eat Mediterranean food for €9.50 and you can put together the makings of an epic kebab, just without the pitta. Not a late night option though, they close around 10pm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

I would much prefer Capital to Charcoal FWIW

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

It's not even 10am and i now really fancy a Kebab!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Lorikeet111

Giovanni's in Oranmore is top class and they do a home made pita option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Giovanni's in Oranmore is top class and they do a home made pita option.

They have a place on Dominick St down by the Róisín where Costellos used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Capital Kebab on Eglinton Street are the best I've tasted in town +1 for me

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MataofK

they are all terrible , nothing like the one you can eat in France or Germany. Here its just lots of garlic and chilly sauce . If someone open a "real" kebab , he 'll make a fortune !
    I gave up eating them here as half the kebab would ends up in bin ...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

MataofK wrote: »
    they are all terrible , nothing like the one you can eat in France or Germany. Here its just lots of garlic and chilly sauce . If someone open a "real" kebab , he 'll make a fortune !
    I gave up eating them here as half the kebab would ends up in bin ...

Just curious. What is the difference between the usual Irish ones and the ones in France and Germany

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's fine if you think kebabs in other countries are better in your opinion, no-one can force you to like the Irish style ones.
    That's not what OP is asking for though..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Unfortunately I don't think any place does a good kebab in Galway. If I had to pick one I'd go for Charcoal Grill. Zaytoon is where it's at though, wish they would open in Galway.

Just curious. What is the difference between the usual Irish ones and the ones in France and Germany

The meat would be the big difference, most Irish places sell cheap processed meat, usually made up from a mix of lamb, beef, chicken and pork. Their then frozen and stored.
    A proper doner/lamb kebab is real meat, usually shoulder. It's then marinated and stacked on the metal skewers. Some places will have lamb that's never been frozen.
    The photo below is of proper meat, the left is chicken and the right is lamb. Not a lot of places sell it like that.
    The processed one is grand but there's some difference in flavour and texture when you get a real one.
    The bread makes a huge difference too, the better places have fresh bread, made instore and it can be so nice you'd almost eat it on its own. Others have wraps or pittas from a packet.

• Advertisement

The photo below is of proper meat, the left is chicken and the right is lamb. Not a lot of places sell it like that.

Pretty sure Charcoal and Capital both have proper meat. Have you even been to either? Your profile suggests you're Cork based...?
    The bread makes a huge difference too, the better places have fresh bread, made instore and it can be so nice you'd almost eat it on its own. Others have wraps or pittas from a packet.

Again, Capital make their pitta fresh in-store...

Kebab House used to do to processed stuff, it was a quantity over quality offering.

J o e wrote: »
    Pretty sure Charcoal and Capital both have proper meat. Have you even been to either? Your profile suggests you're Cork based...?

Again, Capital make their pitta fresh in-store...

Kebab House used to do to processed stuff, it was a quantity over quality offering.

Yes I'm from Cork, I had a kebab a good bit back in Galway but can't remember where, it was the processed meat but the bread seemed fresh and the sauces were really good.
    Cork is very poor for them, the better ones aren't anywhere near what the pale has to offer!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Yes I'm from Cork, I had a kebab a good bit back in Galway but can't remember where, it was the processed meat but the bread seemed fresh and the sauces were really good.
    Cork is very poor for them, the better ones aren't anywhere near what the pale has to offer!

Istanbul is good enough, that place on Washington Street too, Ali something.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Istanbul is good enough, that place on Washington Street too, Ali something.

This has gone way off topic lol.
    Istanbul is easily the best in Cork but it's not a patch on some of the Dublin shops. Zaytoon and Pasha are leagues ahead.

Well welcome to the Galway forum lads... what's your views on grass and cycling infrastructure? :P

Edit: Just checked out Zaytoon online, looks amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭Ludikrus

Unfortunately I don't think any place does a good kebab in Galway. If I had to pick one I'd go for Charcoal Grill. Zaytoon is where it's at though, wish they would open in Galway.

^^ Same muck they were throwing out twenty years ago, things have moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Ludikrus wrote: »
    ^^ Same muck they were throwing out twenty years ago, things have moved on.
    Huh? Not sure what this is supposed to mean?

Advertisement