Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where To Move To In Ireland

Options
  • 08-09-2018 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi everyone, I am new to this and really in  need of some advice. Currently in the U.K, and looking to relocate to Ireland (both parents were born and bred in Ireland, sadly deceased). Trying to decide on location is proving difficult, I have narrowed it down to these areas:
    1)Killarney
    2)Roscommon
    3)Leitrim
    Wondering what these areas are like? Are they friendly to newcomers? (even though my folks were Irish), how easy is it to find work? Are they safe for single women? Looking for a bungalow, with outdoor space/acres as I have dogs. Appreciate any constructive advice. Thanks in anticipation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

None of those places are going to offer much in the way of employment opportunities; they're all quite small towns (hell, Leitrim is barely a village) and don't have any big employers or professional industries. On the plus side, if you're of independent means and don't need to work, I guess the rent would probably be pretty cheap for a big property out in the rural parts. (I'd be curious as to what's attracting you to Roscommon and Leitrim in particular, as well; is your family from those areas or something?)

If you want work, Dublin has the most jobs but also sky-high rents. Cork's not as bad and has a fair number of big employers as well. Galway's nice, but crowded with students competing for casual work and cheap accommodations. Limerick is still catching up as far as rents and such go and has a fair number of employers these days, if you work in the right fields. Anywhere else and you're going to have a tough time finding a professional job, so unless you're planning to support yourself on retail/service work and have some connections in a place to get a foot in the door, it might be tricky anywhere else; you may want to look for work first before committing to a place to live if you decide to avoid the cities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Out of the 3 , Killarney is the only option.
    What will you do for work?

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lcwill

I wouldnt suggest any of those places.

Why not head for West Cork which can provide everything you would find in any of those other places but with a much more going on and a much bigger community of "blow-ins" like yourself (regardless of the fact your parents were Irish you will be considered a blow-in if you move anywhere except in or around one of the main cities - this is not necessarily a bad thing, just a fact of life).

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

What kind of industry are you interested in working in OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Have you spent much time in Ireland? Do you still have family over here?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Jack Moore

You work from home so I’d love on the coast on the west of Ireland somewhere where the internet is good
    How much you want ykspend on a home

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Are you looking to buy or rent? Renting with dogs will be quite tricky everywhere, a lot of landlords aren't too fond of dogs. The more remote/less sought after the area, the better your chances.
    Jobwise, if you're looking for skilled work neither of these are an option really. There's a reason why rent and property is so expensive around the cities: this is where work is. Unless you fancy factory work, you'll spend a long time looking for work. Commuting is long and expensive, the Irish public transport network is nothing like the English where people do 100km in an hour door to door thanks to good trainlines.

But it's not all doom and gloom, do your homework on where you wanna go and do it well. If you're looking for a quiet retirement for example all 3 places would be suitable, keeping in mind you'll depend on a car.
    If you want to look for a Bungalow with land for your dogs to roam while you're making money in IT, not going to happen. There's a reason why all 3 places are cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Bluebells121

dennyk wrote: »
    None of those places are going to offer much in the way of employment opportunities; they're all quite small towns (hell, Leitrim is barely a village) and don't have any big employers or professional industries. On the plus side, if you're of independent means and don't need to work, I guess the rent would probably be pretty cheap for a big property out in the rural parts. (I'd be curious as to what's attracting you to Roscommon and Leitrim in particular, as well; is your family from those areas or something?)

If you want work, Dublin has the most jobs but also sky-high rents. Cork's not as bad and has a fair number of big employers as well. Galway's nice, but crowded with students competing for casual work and cheap accommodations. Limerick is still catching up as far as rents and such go and has a fair number of employers these days, if you work in the right fields. Anywhere else and you're going to have a tough time finding a professional job, so unless you're planning to support yourself on retail/service work and have some connections in a place to get a foot in the door, it might be tricky anywhere else; you may want to look for work first before committing to a place to live if you decide to avoid the cities.
    Thank you for your advice, I don't know anything about Roscommon or Leitrim, other than a few things people have said, being a nice area, and the property is reasonable. I don't know anything about Cork, and it isn't an area that I have even considered to be honest.e, I don't fancy going to Dublin, even though my mother was from there, I was looking to go more rural.  My father was a kerryman, and I have visited  the area several times, and fell in love with it. Also visited Galway a few times, again another lovely area. I am actively looking for part time work and the rest would be building up my business whilst there.

I will work part time on my own business and actively seeking some regular part time work in the area so I can meet new people and make friends in the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I will work part time on my own business and actively seeking some regular part time work in the area so I can meet new people and make friends in the community.

If you're having your own business, keep broadband in mind. A lot of rural areas still have very poor coverage and I'd make sure to check with local businesses about it. It can have a massive impact on a business that heavily relies on the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

If your business relies on internet you will want to do some good research on where you end up. Leitrim and Roscommon are nice, wouldn’t be similar to Killarney though. I’d give thought to somewhere west from Clare up to Mayo.
    Best of luck though, people all over Ireland are generally welcoming and I’m sure you’ll get along fine.

LirW wrote: »
    Are you looking to buy or rent? Renting with dogs will be quite tricky everywhere, a lot of landlords aren't too fond of dogs. The more remote/less sought after the area, the better your chances.
    Jobwise, if you're looking for skilled work neither of these are an option really. There's a reason why rent and property is so expensive around the cities: this is where work is. Unless you fancy factory work, you'll spend a long time looking for work. Commuting is long and expensive, the Irish public transport network is nothing like the English where people do 100km in an hour door to door thanks to good trainlines.

But it's not all doom and gloom, do your homework on where you wanna go and do it well. If you're looking for a quiet retirement for example all 3 places would be suitable, keeping in mind you'll depend on a car.
    If you want to look for a Bungalow with land for your dogs to roam while you're making money in IT, not going to happen. There's a reason why all 3 places are cheap.
    Thanks for your advice, much appreciated. I have looked at rental properties, and as you say, landlords are not keen, even though mine are exceptionally well behaved. I would be more inclined to buy outright, having said that I have been looking for the past 2 years, and it is seems incredibly difficult to join the dots. Will look again, thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

I live in Roscommon. I'm about 10 miles from Athlone/Roscommon town and Ballinasloe. Plenty of work to be had in Athlone. Rural but still close to everything. House prices are reasonable. 4 bed bungalow near us on nearly an acre for sale at 190 k. Modern and well kept house. Good luck in your search.

part time own business, part time paid work

Why?

part time own business, part time paid work

There is several tech companies in Athlone. Ericsson's being one of the more recognisable.

lcwill wrote: »
    I wouldnt suggest any of those places.

Why not head for West Cork which can provide everything you would find in any of those other places but with a much more going on and a much bigger community of "blow-ins" like yourself (regardless of the fact your parents were Irish you will be considered a blow-in if you move anywhere except in or around one of the main cities - this is not necessarily a bad thing, just a fact of life).
    I haven't considered Cork to be honest, and it is another area that I don't know at all. "Blow ins" love it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Why?

Why what?

Why what?

Why is only Killarney an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Sounds like you don't want city living and would probably be better off in some of the nicer touristy towns as these will have nicer shops, cafes etc and are liked for good reason! I'd try anything from Kinsale, Kenmare, Killarney, Clifden or Westport. All lovely towns and busy too. Better weather in the south east too and a lot of English people seem to move to the nice countryside towns around the Barrow and Nore River valleys. Lovely areas too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

You might face a bit of discrimination anywhere you go in Ireland. Someone with an English accent in Ireland will probably face as much discrimination as an Arab in England, they're mostly accepted but a few people will have a problem.

You need to look at the wikipedia list for the largest towns in Ireland, only look at the top 10 or 20 and pick something within commuting distance of those if you want work. Employment in rural towns and villages in Ireland is declining and everything is becoming more centralised.

GarIT wrote: »
    You might face a bit of discrimination anywhere you go in Ireland. Someone with an English accent in Ireland will probably face as much discrimination as an Arab in England, they're mostly accepted but a few people will have a problem.

You need to look at the wikipedia list for the largest towns in Ireland, only look at the top 10 or 20 and pick something within commuting distance of those if you want work. Employment in rural towns and villages in Ireland is declining and everything is becoming more centralised.
    Discrimination that surprises me as I don't consider myself English, all of my family were born and bred in Ireland, I just had the misfortune to be born in the U.K! Thanks for your honesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Loads of blow ins in Roscommon anyways, you'd have no problem in that regard.
    I really think you, and anyone considering such a big move, should rent in an area first before committing to buying property.
    Anywhere you move to OP, it'll be up to you to make the most of the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Do you drive OP? You'll really need a car in any rural location.

LirW wrote: »

If you're having your own business, keep broadband in mind. A lot of rural areas still have very poor coverage and I'd make sure to check with local businesses about it. It can have a massive impact on a business that heavily relies on the internet.
    Thank you so much.

Addle wrote: »
    Do you drive OP? You'll really need a car in any rural location.
    yes I drive

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    Why?

Why what?

Dumb and dumber comes to.mind

Addle wrote: »
    Loads of blow ins in Roscommon anyways, you'd have no problem in that regard.
    I really think you, and anyone considering such a big move, should rent in an area first before committing to buying property.
    Anywhere you move to OP, it'll be up to you to make the most of the area.
    I have looked at rental in the past but this is proving to be quite challenging as I have  dogs, and a lot of landlords are not keen even though my dogs are exceptionally well behaved.

Sounds like you don't want city living and would probably be better off in some of the nicer touristy towns as these will have nicer shops, cafes etc and are liked for good reason! I'd try anything from Kinsale, Kenmare, Killarney, Clifden or Westport. All lovely towns and busy too. Better weather in the south east too and a lot of English people seem to move to the nice countryside towns around the Barrow and Nore River valleys. Lovely areas too.
    Thank you I will look again at these areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Discrimination that surprises me as I don't consider myself English, all of my family were born and bred in Ireland, I just had the misfortune to be born in the U.K! Thanks for your honesty.

Doesn't really matter where you consider yourself from, some will make a judgement as soon as you speak. Given the history of how the Irish have been treated by England. Most won't but some people might say something or just dislike you for the accent.

Advertisement