Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where To Move To In Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Bluebells121

Thank you everyone for your help, much appreciated, back to the drawing board for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭per aspera ad astra

I don't care where you're from OP – and I personally wouldn't dream of judging you on the way you speak. There's more like me than not. Somebody in Ireland that would judge you on the way you speak, would judge you on the way you speak in France – if French, in China – if Chinese and in Zimbabwe – if Zimbabwean. Judgers gonna judge – it's nothing to do with nationality, in my opinion anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

Thank you for your advice, I don't know anything about Roscommon or Leitrim, other than a few things people have said, being a nice area, and the property is reasonable. I don't know anything about Cork, and it isn't an area that I have even considered to be honest.e, I don't fancy going to Dublin, even though my mother was from there, I was looking to go more rural.  My father was a kerryman, and I have visited  the area several times, and fell in love with it. Also visited Galway a few times, again another lovely area. I am actively looking for part time work and the rest would be building up my business whilst there.

As others have said, if good Internet service is a must, you'll need to consider carefully where you want to live. Unfortunately you may have to compromise on the whole massive-rural-acreage idea, as decent Internet service is spotty to nonexistent in most rural areas. The Ireland Offline Broadband Map is a useful tool for exploring broadband options in different areas. Enable the VDSL Cabinets option to see all of the existing cabinets and hover over one to see its coverage area. Ideally you'd want to be as close to a cabinet as possible to see the best speeds. Your best bet will probably be to look for a place in a village with VDSL service; it won't truly be rural per se, but you'll at least have proper Internet.

If you're considering places to live, I live in Killaloe, County Clare myself, on the Shannon by Lough Derg. It's a beautiful village with plenty of amenities and great Internet service, and it's convenient to the M7 for traveling to Limerick (20-30 minutes), Shannon Airport (45 minutes), and Dublin Airport (2 hours). Great spot to live, and I couldn't be happier that I found this place. Being close to Limerick would give you some more options for finding work, as well.

Certainly couldn't go wrong living in Kerry, either; beautiful part of the country down there. Only downside is you'd be a bit further away from everywhere else, and there aren't really any larger cities nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

You should also Google SIRO broadband, it's only available in a few places so far but some of those are reasonably rural and it's the fastest broadband available to the public in Europe.

I don't care where you're from OP – and I personally wouldn't dream of judging you on the way you speak. There's more like me than not. Somebody in Ireland that would judge you on the way you speak, would judge you on the way you speak in France – if French, in China – if Chinese and in Zimbabwe – if Zimbabwean. Judgers gonna judge – it's nothing to do with nationality, in my opinion anyway...
    Thank you that is reassuring and good to know.

• Advertisement

GarIT wrote: »
    You should also Google SIRO broadband, it's only available in a few places so far but some of those are reasonably rural and it's the fastest broadband available to the public in Europe.
    Will do thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Feets

Dingle in Kerry or Greystones in Wicklow.

dennyk wrote: »
    Thank you for your advice, I don't know anything about Roscommon or Leitrim, other than a few things people have said, being a nice area, and the property is reasonable. I don't know anything about Cork, and it isn't an area that I have even considered to be honest.e, I don't fancy going to Dublin, even though my mother was from there, I was looking to go more rural.  My father was a kerryman, and I have visited  the area several times, and fell in love with it. Also visited Galway a few times, again another lovely area. I am actively looking for part time work and the rest would be building up my business whilst there.

As others have said, if good Internet service is a must, you'll need to consider carefully where you want to live. Unfortunately you may have to compromise on the whole massive-rural-acreage idea, as decent Internet service is spotty to nonexistent in most rural areas. The Ireland Offline Broadband Map is a useful tool for exploring broadband options in different areas. Enable the VDSL Cabinets option to see all of the existing cabinets and hover over one to see its coverage area. Ideally you'd want to be as close to a cabinet as possible to see the best speeds. Your best bet will probably be to look for a place in a village with VDSL service; it won't truly be rural per se, but you'll at least have proper Internet.

If you're considering places to live, I live in Killaloe, County Clare myself, on the Shannon by Lough Derg. It's a beautiful village with plenty of amenities and great Internet service, and it's convenient to the M7 for traveling to Limerick (20-30 minutes), Shannon Airport (45 minutes), and Dublin Airport (2 hours). Great spot to live, and I couldn't be happier that I found this place. Being close to Limerick would give you some more options for finding work, as well.

Certainly couldn't go wrong living in Kerry, either; beautiful part of the country down there. Only downside is you'd be a bit further away from everywhere else, and there aren't really any larger cities nearby.
    Thank you for these valuable tips, much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Discrimination that surprises me as I don't consider myself English, all of my family were born and bred in Ireland, I just had the misfortune to be born in the U.K! Thanks for your honesty.

I hate to break it to you but that's not going to wash over here. Your accent and where you grew up will have you labelled as an English person forever. Having said that, I doubt you'll experience discrimination unless you're unlucky and find yourself amidst people who can't stop banging on about 800 years of oppression.

Maybe you should work backwards and see where the jobs are first? The reason why the Leitrims and Roscommons of this world are cheaper places to buy in is that people leave these areas and move elsewhere for work. If you're not after spectacular scenery, the Midlands might be worth a look. If you get a job in Athlone, you could buy something in Roscommon, Westmeath or Offaly. And you'd only be an hour and a half from Dublin or Galway because of the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Thank you for your advice, I don't know anything about Roscommon or Leitrim, other than a few things people have said, being a nice area, and the property is reasonable. I don't know anything about Cork, and it isn't an area that I have even considered to be honest.e, I don't fancy going to Dublin, even though my mother was from there, I was looking to go more rural. My father was a kerryman, and I have visited the area several times, and fell in love with it. Also visited Galway a few times, again another lovely area. I am actively looking for part time work and the rest would be building up my business whilst there.
    Is your father from, Killarney, Killorglin, Tralee, Listowel, Dingle, what part of Kerry is he from, If you buying a house, you will do fine, but renting is a hard road, rentals are scarce in the bigger cities, but the more you move out of big cities and towns, it should not be too bad, if you intend living rural, a car is a must in the smaller towns and villages

• Advertisement

goat2 wrote: »
    Thank you for your advice, I don't know anything about Roscommon or Leitrim, other than a few things people have said, being a nice area, and the property is reasonable. I don't know anything about Cork, and it isn't an area that I have even considered to be honest.e, I don't fancy going to Dublin, even though my mother was from there, I was looking to go more rural.  My father was a kerryman, and I have visited  the area several times, and fell in love with it. Also visited Galway a few times, again another lovely area. I am actively looking for part time work and the rest would be building up my business whilst there.
    Is your father from, Killarney, Killorglin, Tralee, Listowel, Dingle, what part of Kerry is he from, If you buying a house, you will do fine, but renting is a hard road, rentals are scarce in the bigger cities, but the more you move out of big cities and towns, it should not be too bad, if you intend living rural, a car is a must in the smaller towns and villages
    My father died some time ago, he was from [font=arial, sans-serif]Cahersiveen, and I went to the Gaelteacht in Dingle. I have a car and don't mind travelling it is more about finding the right location, friendly environment so that I can make new friends and get involved with the community.[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Mayo has loads of English people. Never heard of Descrimination because of accent or nationality. Maybe from the few gob****es who are angry about everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

The above post is the most OTT thing I've read in a long time!
    OP I'm from rural Roscommon and I don't recognise any of the sentiment referred to above.
    The county is full of British people who took advantage of property prices and have retired here, moreso than younger people.
    You will have to make an effort with people wherever you move and if you do, you'll be grand.
    But I'll repeat what I and others have said before, please rent for a while.
    I know a few families who rent with pets.

I just wanted to add – that is an EPIC post!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Mahogany Gaspipe

You might face a bit of discrimination anywhere you go in Ireland. Someone with an English accent in Ireland will probably face as much discrimination as an Arab in England, they're mostly accepted but a few people will have a problem.

Thats absolute bollox unless the OP has built a time machine and is considering moving to 1970s Falls Road.

You might face a bit of discrimination anywhere you go in Ireland. Someone with an English accent in Ireland will probably face as much discrimination as an Arab in England, they're mostly accepted but a few people will have a problem.

You need to look at the wikipedia list for the largest towns in Ireland, only look at the top 10 or 20 and pick something within commuting distance of those if you want work. Employment in rural towns and villages in Ireland is declining and everything is becoming more centralised.

That is completely not true, that an English accent will or is discriminated against, I live in the country and have a couple English neighbours, they fit in great here, I have never in my life seen anyone being discriminated against because of their accent, it is not the 1940,s

goat2 wrote: »

You need to look at the wikipedia list for the largest towns in Ireland, only look at the top 10 or 20 and pick something within commuting distance of those if you want work. Employment in rural towns and villages in Ireland is declining and everything is becoming more centralised.

That is completely not true, that an English accent will or is discriminated against, I live in the country and have a couple English neighbours, they fit in great here, I have never in my life seen anyone being discriminated against because of their accent, it is not the 1940,s
    Thank you that is reassuring to know. :)

My father died some time ago, he was from [font=arial, sans-serif]Cahersiveen, and I went to the Gaelteacht in Dingle. I have a car and don't mind travelling it is more about finding the right location, friendly environment so that I can make new friends and get involved with the community.[/font]

You know the place well, I know Caherciveen well, but I am not from there, a lovely place, you have Waterville which is beautiful, along the coastline coming into Kenmare on to Killarney, plenty there to choose from, Kenmare is another beautiful place, I would think it would be a good place to start off, huge tourism down there and could pick up a handy job, if you have a trade like, plumber, carpet layer , woodworker, due to guest houses being busy there would be work in that field, West cork is also fab, Clonikilty is a lovely place, another place that is just fab is Dungarvan Co Waterford, plenty beautiful places along the west coast from Kerry to Galway, and Tourism good in these areas

Addle wrote: »
    The above post is the most OTT thing I've read in a long time!
    OP I'm from rural Roscommon and I don't recognise any of the sentiment referred to above.
    The county is full of British people who took advantage of property prices and have retired here, moreso than younger people.
    You will have to make an effort with people wherever you move and if you do, you'll be grand.
    But I'll repeat what I and others have said before, please rent for a while.
    I know a few families who rent with pets.
    Thank you. I am looking online at rental properties but it is proving difficult as a lot of landlords won't accept pets, and my pets are coming with me. If you can recommend anywhere aside from Daft i.e for rental properties that would be great. Thanks again for your advice. :)

Many thanks to you for taking the time to post, very much appreciated.

• Advertisement

If you have a Facebook account maybe you could put out a request in the area you are looking into,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I'd contact letting agents directly rather than depend on online advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Discrimination that surprises me as I don't consider myself English, all of my family were born and bred in Ireland, I just had the misfortune to be born in the U.K! Thanks for your honesty.
    If you were born in the England, you'll be considered english.
    If you were born in NI, only then can you claim to be Irish. Telling people that you're Irish (if you're really english) may rub people the wrong way.
    actively seeking some regular part time work in the area so I can meet new people and make friends in the community.
    I have  dogs
    You will be seen as jobless and with dogs. Aside from absolute sh|tholes, you won't get much.

Are you retired? I'm trying to figure why you're moving to Ireland to get a part time job, as I don't see why your business idea would do any better in Ireland than it would in the UK.

=-=

You'll need good broadband, and possibly nearby a regional postal sorting centre, if you intend on posting stuff, as a local post office may not be opened that long, or have decent parking nearby it.

You will get part time work in most tourist locations, Bar work, Porter, Gardening, could do window cleaning, If you could fix Lawn mowers and such like, there is good opening in most places for that, everyone has a garden,

the_syco wrote: »
    Are you retired? I'm trying to figure why you're moving to Ireland to get a part time job, as I don't see why your business idea would do any better in Ireland than it would in the UK.

Maybe he's just sick of the U.K. and wants to come to paradise? I'd say it's nothing to do with work – more to do with happiness...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I’m English with a strong English accent. I’ve lived in Galway for 15 years and never experienced discrimination - only the occasional light hearted banter in the pub.

I agree with what others have said re broadband, being near a big town and infrastructure if you are running an online business. If the business involves posting things, forget it - postal service from rural areas is very slow. It takes a week (min 4 days) for a letter from London to reach Galway. We get no post at weekends, and rarely on Mondays. I live in the city, not in a rural area.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭sam22

If you are thinking of relocating to the killarney. South kerry area why not fly over and rent a car for a few days and check out the area. Call to letting agencies ..eg. its for rent in killarney. There is allways work opportunities in a tourist area loads of different nationalities in the area. No discrimi ation that i have come accross in all my years working with different nationaities .

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mjdh1957

I retired to Waterford city and like you was born in the UK to Irish parents and have always identified as Irish. People sometimes assume I'm English because of the accent but I have an obviously Irish surname and family connections and have never had any problems. I've also met quite a few English people with no connection to Ireland who have moved here in response to Brexit. I chose the city because of its facilities and amenities - being over 60 I have an eye for the future when I might be a bit less mobile and will need things to be more accessible.

I'd say the best thing to do is make a real effort to integrate and generally be a good neighbour. I also met an Irish partner soon after I moved which helped a great deal though that might not be what you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Hi Bluebells121, just read your post did you get anything sorted yet?
    the_syco wrote:
    If you were born in the England, you'll be considered english.
    If you were born in NI, only then can you claim to be Irish. Telling people that you're Irish (if you're really english) may rub people the wrong way

Why would that rub people up the wrong way? You may not agree with her calling herself Irish, and that's fine, but presumably the OP has an Irish passport and thus is legally and Irish citizen as much as you are.

A lot of Irish don't seem to get too rubbed up the wrong way with all the English accents in their football team!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Some great places mentioned already and I would agree with the consensus that of your original selection, Killarney would be the best option. It’s a large town, with beautiful scenery on the doorstep, however it is very touristy – it’s almost unbearable in summer. Maybe you don’t have a problem with that, but for me, I would find it headwrecking. Same with Dingle, Kenmare etc, they would be very busy in summer and very quiet in winter.

If it were me, I would try and find somewhere rural but within easy drive of a city and airport. Dungarvan is a really good suggestion, lovely vibrant town, with beautiful beaches on the doorstep and just over an hour to Cork Airport and 45 mins to Waterford City.

There are loads of nice towns in Cork, as mentioned, Clonakilty is a great spot, but I would also suggest the likes of Bandon, Midleton, Macroom, Fermoy.

I think it’s going to be really hard for you to make a decision without spending an extended length of time here. I personally wouldn’t make a life changing decision without visiting any prospective place and seeing what’s it’s like actually being there on a wet Monday in November! As others have said, it will be quite difficult to find somewhere to rent with dogs, you might have a better chance in the country, but in the bigger towns and cities, it’ll be a non runner

Advertisement