Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where To Move To In Ireland

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

There is also Castlemaine, milltown, Castle Island all not touristy towns, and a nice short distance from airport at Farranfore, houses would be much more affordable and may be far easier to abtain, you would have the amenities without the hustle and bustle, as well as the good infrastructure

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

GarIT wrote: »
    You might face a bit of discrimination anywhere you go in Ireland. Someone with an English accent in Ireland will probably face as much discrimination as an Arab in England, they're mostly accepted but a few people will have a problem.

You need to look at the wikipedia list for the largest towns in Ireland, only look at the top 10 or 20 and pick something within commuting distance of those if you want work. Employment in rural towns and villages in Ireland is declining and everything is becoming more centralised.

That is sheer nonsense. I came here from the UK and never any of that. Not a trace of it ever, OP

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

ncmc wrote: »
    Some great places mentioned already and I would agree with the consensus that of your original selection, Killarney would be the best option. It’s a large town, with beautiful scenery on the doorstep, however it is very touristy – it’s almost unbearable in summer. Maybe you don’t have a problem with that, but for me, I would find it headwrecking. Same with Dingle, Kenmare etc, they would be very busy in summer and very quiet in winter.

If it were me, I would try and find somewhere rural but within easy drive of a city and airport. Dungarvan is a really good suggestion, lovely vibrant town, with beautiful beaches on the doorstep and just over an hour to Cork Airport and 45 mins to Waterford City.

There are loads of nice towns in Cork, as mentioned, Clonakilty is a great spot, but I would also suggest the likes of Bandon, Midleton, Macroom, Fermoy.

I think it’s going to be really hard for you to make a decision without spending an extended length of time here. I personally wouldn’t make a life changing decision without visiting any prospective place and seeing what’s it’s like actually being there on a wet Monday in November! As others have said, it will be quite difficult to find somewhere to rent with dogs, you might have a better chance in the country, but in the bigger towns and cities, it’ll be a non runner

My thoughts exactly. when I came from the Uk I had already spent a long while in Ireland previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Moomintroll99

OP we did very similar, moving to the west of ireland for the relaxed pace of life, beautiful landscape, lovely people & fantastic education for our kids. It was a great move for us. Like you, my other half has an English accent. In 2.5 years he's had no issues at all, and he works on building sites all over the country, including the north.

Maybe if you met a complete idiot they would have a go at you over your accent, but they would have a go over something else if you had a different accent. Nasties gonna nast.

There are plenty of people here like yourself (and us) who have Irish parents but grew up in UK/US/Australia etc. We live near Galway and it's lovely. I would echo what others have said about work. If you don't have your own source of income, places like Leitrim would be pretty hard to make a go of it unless you have very specific skills, although I did notice Manor Hamilton had created a co working space to encourage tech companies to set up there.

Best of luck with everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

+1 on telling you to ignore those stupid comments about being English. I'm Irish myself and have a Welsh husband (although he sounds more English than Welsh when he speaks). We have experienced FAR more anti-English sentiment when we were living in Wales than in Ireland. I lived in Cardiff for six years, and couldn't believe the amount of it.

You'll get the odd joke here and there, and you'll find that the English sporting teams don't get much support over here, but other than that, it's really a non-issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Bluebells121

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to post suggestions and thoughts. If I haven't thanked your post personally apologises for some reason the site won't allow me to do so, but I have read all of your comments and want to thank you all it means a lot to have your input.

This message is for syco;108037711 aptly name I am sure!

I find your remarks, quite insulting. Yes I have dogs, that does not mean I have no intention of working or being a layabout. Yes I run a business, the whole of idea of getting part time work was to integrate into the community and make new friends as this would be relocation. Lets be crystal clear here, that  I have been offered part time work in Ireland, that is even before I have stepped off a plane! My parents including all of my family grand parents and great parents were all born and raised in Ireland, I was born in the U.K, that does not make me a lay about or a person who intends to become one! If people are going to judge me as you say they are purely based on my accent, well quite frankly that says more about them than it does about me, as I am in the habit of treating people with respect and with kindness as that is way that I was raised by my Irish family as we have standards.You sound very judgemental and ignorant to be honest, both of which I have no time or the patience for!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Bluebells I don't think the syco was saying that you were a layabout, he was suggesting that a prospective landlord might interpret your situation as both unemployed and having pets, so therefore a non-starter. Unfortunately there is not a lot of rental property around (I know, I was doing much the same as you but with three cats). Then after you have found somewhere you will find people saying 'oh but Mary's cottage is standing empty' - but Mary didn't advertise her cottage - probably because she doesn't want to let it - so how is anyone to know?

I also have the accent, after being here nearly half a century. In the early days there was a lot of discrimination and a fair bit of fairly subtle abuse but that has pretty much gone. You will always find the odd eejit who will hate anyone for any reason but on the whole its not a problem. You will find occasional tradesmen taking the mick with charging you though, generally the older guys. And they will smile and chat you up while they are doing it.

The stock answer when asked is 'oh my family are from (Killarney), I've been living in England a good few years, but decided to come back'. I moved, over the years from city to country to town and now back to country, and everyone I have met so far in this country area has been lovely. Just don't assume, especially in country areas, that because you are all conversing in English you are speaking the same language!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

In dublin its hard even for people with good jobs to find rental accomodation.In rural area,s rents are lower ,its easier to find accomodation .I do,nt think having an english accent is a big deal if you live in a large town.Ireland is a more diverse country with a more modern outlook even than 10 years ago.Most irish people are friendly and welcoming.I,d advise you to look at towns with a population of 20k at least. maybe in westmeath.Mullingar has a wide range of shops,pubs,clubs
    with fast fibre broadband avaidable .
    The thing i dont like about kerry or the west of ireland is the weather.Those countys tend to rainy and cold at least compared with meath, westmeath ,county dublin .
    https://www.met.ie/
    i agree with previous poster, those towns are busy in the summer ,very quiet in the winter.
    I.d not be willing to live in dingle,or kerry ,killarney purely because of the weather.
    Mullingar is about 50 minutes drive from dublin, with a rail station and
    its on plenty of bus eireann routes.
    IN westmeath theres also the towns of athlone and longford.
    https://www.rent.ie/houses-to-let/westmeath/mullingar/

look on www.rent.ie for ads for rental units in various countys or towns.

looksee wrote: »
    Bluebells I don't think the syco was saying that you were a layabout, he was suggesting that a prospective landlord might interpret your situation as both unemployed and having pets, so therefore a non-starter. Unfortunately there is not a lot of rental property around (I know, I was doing much the same as you but with three cats). Then after you have found somewhere you will find people saying 'oh but Mary's cottage is standing empty' - but Mary didn't advertise her cottage - probably because she doesn't want to let it - so how is anyone to know?

I also have the accent, after being here nearly half a century. In the early days there was a lot of discrimination and a fair bit of fairly subtle abuse but that has pretty much gone. You will always find the odd eejit who will hate anyone for any reason but on the whole its not a problem. You will find occasional tradesmen taking the mick with charging you though, generally the older guys. And they will smile and chat you up while they are doing it.

The stock answer when asked is 'oh my family are from (Killarney), I've been living in England a good few years, but decided to come back'. I moved, over the years from city to country to town and now back to country, and everyone I have met so far in this country area has been lovely. Just don't assume, especially in country areas, that because you are all conversing in English you are speaking the same language!
    Thank you for your comments. I am just fed up with people being judgemental, same as in the U.K. Thanks again.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »

Thank you for your comments. I am just fed up with people being judgemental, same as in the U.K. Thanks again.

Advertisement