Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xiaomi mi a2 lite

• 08-09-2018 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have this on eir network and how do they find it? Seriously considering pulling the trigger on this any feedback greatly appreciated

Comments

my current phone just went awry so I've said feck it to getting expensive phones anymore when budget phones are so good and will do all I need to. I like the design of this phone and I want long battery life. micro usb but has fast charging (2hrs to full charge although not sure if it comes with a fast charger)

metal build (except for a bit of plastic on top and bottom at back for better reception reasons).
    gorilla glass on front. decent sized 5.8inch screen in a pocket-friendly size (high screen to body ration in modern 19:9 ratio).
    the 1080p lcd is reported as good quality (better than redmi note 5)
    bit thicker due to the big battery in a small size but not overly thick.

camera is decent in bright light. not low light but that's par for the course.
    it's only a snapdragon 625 but runs very smoothly with the stock android from reports.
    unless you want to play intensive games at the highest settings you don't need the most performant cpus imo when something like a midrange cpu like the 625 is up to the task. in the past budget phones had cpus that meant that operation was not smooth but it's not the case anymore really (stay away from lower end mediatek cpus tho - they are still not great).
    that being said this phone will still play pubg for example, if you're into that, at medium with good fps (videos on youtube)
    due to the 625 being so efficient the 4000mah battery will last even longer. 2 day battery life for medium users on this phone.

stock android so no bs with updates that never arrive.
    wouldn't see any issues with wifi (has n but not ac).
    has all the radio bands for Ireland so should not be an issue on any network.

dual sim with separate sd card slot (which is very rare on any phone as usually the second sim slot and sd card are hybrid - e.g. you can only have one or the other)

no nfc but but for some reason no budget and even a lot of mid-range phones have it.
    I was considering the mi 2 which has a better camera but the poorish battery life and the horrible big camera bump on the back put me off.
    I also prefer the overall design of the mi a2 lite to the a2 itself.

I ordered one last night from eglobal 4gb/64gb for 175 euro.
    so don't have it yet.

this video may be helpul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr1le1NIXAw&t=69s

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shooter_galway

glasso wrote: »
    my current phone just went awry so I've said feck it to getting expensive phones anymore when budget phones are so good and will do all I need to. I like the design of this phone and I want long battery life. micro usb but has fast charging (2hrs to full charge although not sure if it comes with a fast charger)

metal build (except for a bit of plastic on top and bottom at back for better reception reasons).
    gorilla glass on front. decent sized 5.8inch screen in a pocket-friendly size (high screen to body ration in modern 19:9 ratio).
    the 1080p lcd is reported as good quality (better than redmi note 5)
    bit thicker due to the big battery in a small size but not overly thick.

camera is decent in bright light. not low light but that's par for the course.
    it's only a snapdragon 625 but runs very smoothly with the stock android from reports.
    unless you want to play intensive games at the highest settings you don't need the most performant cpus imo when something like a midrange cpu like the 625 is up to the task. in the past budget phones had cpus that meant that operation was not smooth but it's not the case anymore really (stay away from lower end mediatek cpus tho - they are still not great).
    that being said this phone will still play pubg for example, if you're into that, at medium with good fps (videos on youtube)
    due to the 625 being so efficient the 4000mah battery will last even longer. 2 day battery life for medium users on this phone.

stock android so no bs with updates that never arrive.
    wouldn't see any issues with wifi (has n but not ac).
    has all the radio bands for Ireland so should not be an issue on any network.

dual sim with separate sd card slot (which is very rare on any phone as usually the second sim slot and sd card are hybrid - e.g. you can only have one or the other)

no nfc but but for some reason no budget and even a lot of mid-range phones have it.
    I was considering the mi 2 which has a better camera but the poorish battery life and the horrible big camera bump on the back put me off.
    I also prefer the overall design of the mi a2 lite to the a2 itself.

I ordered one last night from eglobal 4gb/64gb for 175 euro.
    so don't have it yet.

this video may be helpul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr1le1NIXAw&t=69s

Pulled the trigger Tuesday night myself waiting at home for me currently. Bought it off honourbuy for 215 delivered with tpu case will post up a review of it later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I have it, on eir, and getting 4g coverage in Dublin anyways. Happy with it so far

Lu Tze wrote: »
    I have it, on eir, and getting 4g coverage in Dublin anyways. Happy with it so far

I understand that the charger that comes with it is not a fast charger - was that the case for you?
    (what does the output on the charger say if you can manage to read the probably tiny writing :) ? )

where did you buy it?

Only using phone since last night but it's lightning quick really slick design. Not a fan of the notch but I'll get over that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I understand that the charger that comes with it is not a fast charger - was that the case for you?
    (what does the output on the charger say if you can manage to read the probably tiny writing :) ? )

where did you buy it?

Globalcentral, it came with a european charger (2Amp)

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭j timber

I have a quick question for you please..I just got a new Xiaomi note 5 and was wondering if there is any app for transfer of everything from my Samsung S5 across to the new phone?
    Thanks

have to say that this phone is fantastic for the price and is very fast with the stock android on it.
    looks are pretty good imo and the camera seems very decent in daylight.
    battery life is obviously brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

Does the different aspect ration make this less wide than regular smartphones? I have a Moto G4 plus at the moment which I don't really like. I'd like something with less width so its easier to use one handed.

• Advertisement

megaten wrote: »
    Does the different aspect ration make this less wide than regular smartphones? I have a Moto G4 plus at the moment which I don't really like. I'd like something with less width so its easier to use one handed.

Moto G4 plus
    153 x 76.6 x 9.8 mm

Mi A2 Lite as follows: 71.7 mm X 149.3 mm X 8.8 mm.

So the mi A2 lite is nearly 10% less in width

Imo the A2 lite feels good in hand and not too big for one-handed operation. Being Rounded on the back at the sides and not too thick aids this as well as the width

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭flugel

Anyone go for the 3gb/32gb and use adoptive storage with an SD card? Recommended or just stump for the 4gb/64gb?

flugel wrote: »
    Anyone go for the 3gb/32gb and use adoptive storage with an SD card? Recommended or just stump for the 4gb/64gb?

since it's only about 20 euro more I'd go for the 4gb/64gb one tbh.

eglobalcentraluk cheapest vendor so far?

Cheers. Think I'll go for it. Not a power user, don't game and at this price can't go wrong. Looking forward to a battery that lasts too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭mjp

Pulled the trigger and ordered one of these on honorbuy eu site. Looks to be a great piece of kit for €216 including delivery charge. How long have deliveries taken with honorbuy for others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Invincible

mjp wrote: »
    Pulled the trigger and ordered one of these on honorbuy eu site. Looks to be a great piece of kit for €216 including delivery charge. How long have deliveries taken with honorbuy for others.

Saw on the Pocophone thread delivery of 2 to 4 days.

So, about €165 delivered by DHL from Ali?
    Nillkincaseglass, is this a screen protector?

Ordered on Monday and had mine by thursday

• Advertisement

Invincible wrote: »
    So, about €165 delivered by DHL from Ali?
    Nillkincaseglass, is this a screen protector?

no it's a case. would go with eglobal as the prices are very similar tbh.
    although you may be waiting 2 weeks eitherway.

honorbuy is more expensive but a lot faster.

About €169 from UK store.

https://mishop.co.uk/cart

Invincible wrote: »
    About €169 from UK store.

https://mishop.co.uk/cart

For the 3gb ram, 32 GB model.

About 200 for the 4fb ram ,64gb model

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

Ordered on Monday and had mine by thursday

Who did you order from?

Eglobal

Eglobal

you were lucky - took ten days or more for mine with eglobal.

delivery times with eglobal can vary - assume 7 to 10 days to avoid being annoyed.

they are cheap - but you're not always going to get the fastest service.

also as they sneak stuff into the eu to avoid vat sometimes a whole shipment gets held up and you may be waiting ages if your item is in there.

just be aware - that most likely won't happen but can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

The Mi UK site is up and running and taking orders (UK only). Is it best to order now or wait until the market opens up? I know it's early days but Amazon doesn't have the UK spec phone yet.

The reason I'm warey to order from eglobal or the like is the lack of comeback.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Are eGlobal safe enough? Would it likely get hit by import tax?

definitely no issues with vat / duty.

just assume 10 days and if arrives early be happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

How are eglobal/honorbuy like as regards warranty? My history with phones has been cagey at best and have had to send many back for repair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭gooner99

This has popped up on hotuk deals for the 3/32 version. Same price on amazon apparently. Thoughts?

https://www.carphonewarehouse.com/xiaomi/mi-a2-lite.html#!colour=black&capacity=32GB&dealType=sf

Mr.S wrote: »
    Might as well spent the extra 10er and get the 4/64 version from eGlobal or Amazon ES.

Cheers. I'd imagine Amazon Spain would be the better option for warranty?

Anyone got an exact link to Amazon.es option that they have gone for and how we're they to deal with and what was delivery like?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭The Haven

So this A2 Lite is the same version as the Redmi Note 6 Pro I'm looking at?
    Only difference being Android One vs MIUI.

That being said, I'm now thinking about purchasing the A2 Lite for an upgrade from my very old S4 Mini.

The Haven wrote: »

That being said, I'm now thinking about purchasing the A2 Lite for an upgrade from my very old S4 Mini.

redmi 6 pro same as a2 lite except for stock android a huge plus tho. and redmi 6 pro doesn't have band 20 lte which is used in Ireland.

note pro is a different phone.

note pro runs emui. about same speed as mi a2 lite as the stock android runs faster even tho note has a slightly faster cpu.

Oh, ok cheers.
    I'm going back and forth now.
    I might favour the A2 now.

But then again, the extra storage option in the A2 Lite, probably wins over the better camera on the A2 for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Redmi note 6 pro is available with band 20, also the note 6 pro has the the Snapdragon 636 v the 625 with the Mi A2/A2 lite

• Advertisement

glic83 wrote: »
    Redmi note 6 pro is available with band 20, also the note 6 pro has the the Snapdragon 636 v the 625 with the Mi A2/A2 lite

yes. I mized up redmi 6 pr0 and redmi note 6 pro.

note pro 6 not really any faster than mi a2 lite tho as stock android runs faster than emui.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

yes. I mized up redmi 6 pr0 and redmi note 6 pro.

note pro 6 not really any faster than mi a2 lite tho as stock android runs faster than emui.

Not much in it but newer processor, also the notch in the note 6 pro might put some off

glic83 wrote: »
    Not much in it but newer processor, also the notch in the note 6 pro might put some off

both the mi a2 lite and the redmi note 6 pro have a notch.

Which is the best place to get the A2 Lite in the 4gb 64gb version?

eGlobal - customs?
    Amazon ES
    Honourbuy
    AliExpress

Which is the best place to get the A2 Lite in the 4gb 64gb version?

eGlobal - customs?
    Amazon ES
    Honourbuy
    AliExpress

amazon at current prices. not sure how long shipping will take tho.

• Advertisement

amazon at current prices. not sure how long shipping will take tho.

ok, cheers.
    not bothered about shipping speed, if it takes about 1 week.

looking at amazon.es myself. Wonder what are the chances of it dropping further for Black Friday / Cyber Monday or is at a low price already. What do you think?

doubt it will drop anymore. already very low. it's cheaper than eglobal pretty much.

doubt it will drop anymore. already very low. it's cheaper than eglobal pretty much.

Cheers. Pull the trigger now or wait and find it increases again. lol

Now I need to find a case or 2, to keep the smartphone safe, before I purchase.
    Any good ideas? Don't mind if they come from Hong Kong / China, want one's that good value and lasts a while.

Think I need to hurry on, €165 seems a very good deal amazon es, and like the other poster, don't think it will go lower.
    As it's £160 on amazon uk, thats a hefty €180 or so.

Now I need to find a case or 2, to keep the smartphone safe, before I purchase.
    Any good ideas? Don't mind if they come from Hong Kong / China, want one's that good value and lasts a while.

Think I need to hurry on, €165 seems a very good deal amazon es, and like the other poster, don't think it will go lower.
    As it's £160 on amazon uk, thats a hefty €180 or so.

comes with a free simple clear silicone back case in box to get you started.

100's of case options on ebay / amazon etc

ebay better for finding cases actually usually.

just search and see what comes up - there are many different types of case available. flip, back cover etc etc

just search and see what comes up - there are many different types of case available. flip, back cover etc etc

cheers

Is there a screen protector in the box also?

gooner99 wrote: »
    Is there a screen protector in the box also?

no

In the end, I ordered from HK Goldway w DHL shipping.
    Don't mind how long it takes if less than two weeks.
    €171 delivered, A2 Lite 4 64 black version dropped in price, so jumped on it.

Will let you know how long it takes, and how I get along with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement