Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xiaomi mi a2 lite

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭dball

theteal wrote: »
    Yup, bottom left corner

nice kind of discrete light which I like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Anybody here running a custom rom or installed gcam on Pie?

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Is there any flip case that will activate the screen when opening?
    Is there magnetic activation built in to the phone? As in to wake the screen when you open the case

Looking for a good flip case to provide this option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I don't think so. You can set it to unlock/wake up by double tapping the screen if that's any good.

• Advertisement

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    Anybody here running a custom rom or installed gcam on Pie?

you need to enable camera2 api by connecting to pc and running the command. no need to install a full rom.

search for the tutorial on xda forums.

then just find the latest gcam app again on xda under mi a2 lite

• Registered Users Posts: 30 scallion.eater

https://www.amazon.es/Xiaomi-MI-A2-Smartphone-importada/dp/B07FMPVBQR

Hi folks. Can anyone more knowledgeable advise if this version is ok for use here? On three network if that's relevant. Thanks.

https://www.amazon.es/Xiaomi-MI-A2-Smartphone-importada/dp/B07FMPVBQR

Hi folks. Can anyone more knowledgeable advise if this version is ok for use here? On three network if that's relevant. Thanks.

yes it will be fine for use here.

the android one phones (of which the mi a2 lite is one) only come in a global version. android one phones are not available in China so no Chinese version to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 scallion.eater

Great. Thanks very much.

glasso wrote: »
    yes it will be fine for use here.

the android one phones (of which the mi a2 lite is one) only come in a global version. android one phones are not available in China so no Chinese version to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Mi summer sale on for next week:
    A2 64GB for £129 and 32GB A2 lite for £119.
    Direct from Mi, no import fees, etc..
    https://event.mi.com/uk/sales2019/summer-sale

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 474 ✭✭Former Observer

Lads I'm thinking of buying the 32GB A2 lite as I've damaged my current phone beyond repair. I want a good battery and nice form factor. I don't game. I'm not sure how I feel about the notch. Anything else I should be considering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭BowWow

ongarite wrote: »
    Mi summer sale on for next week:
    A2 64GB for £129 and 32GB A2 lite for £119.
    Direct from Mi, no import fees, etc..
    https://event.mi.com/uk/sales2019/summer-sale

Clearing stock as the probable A3 lite launches in India today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Lads I'm thinking of buying the 32GB A2 lite as I've damaged my current phone beyond repair. I want a good battery and nice form factor. I don't game. I'm not sure how I feel about the notch. Anything else I should be considering?

Notch is fine, battery is brilliant (well over the 24 hour mark with plenty of internet use), camera is average especially from distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Battery is the best I've experienced for a long time.

My only problem with the phone is it just will not work properly with the Xiaomi Home app. My security alerts don't come through on it. Every other phone I've used is fine, just this one - which is kinda a big deal for me.

you don't notice the notch really after a while.

with android pie the implementation of how it's dealt with is pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭mjp

Anyone know what price be talking about to get screen fixed as cracked it during the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

mjp wrote: »
    Anyone know what price be talking about to get screen fixed as cracked it during the week.

I checked on another chineese phone last year and was priced at €95......know it's not environmentally friendly...just bought a new phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Ok looking to get another one of these for the mother in law. She has a Samsung so use to Android

Bought 2 from Eu Global so are these still the best?

https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/catalogsearch/result/?cat=&q=Xiaomi+mi+a2+lite

Checked the Xiaomi summer sale and no longer avaialble there

Is there anywhere else better prices

Bought another one from EU global

Just wondering if anyone has installed Google camera without rooting.

Saw it on xda just wondering if anyone tried it

• Advertisement

Bought another one from EU global

Just wondering if anyone has installed Google camera without rooting.

Saw it on xda just wondering if anyone tried it

yes. I followed the xda tutorial to enable camera2api (root not required) to allow gcam to work. you need a pc, phone, cable. if you don't hold a button down correctly at one point you will wipe phone data / factory reset.

improves low-light but slow to take a picture in the night sight mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Every few weeks, my sent messages stop sending. It shows as sent but people don't receive them. I clear cache, data, force stop. Change message app but still no good. I can receive messages no problem. Never happened on my previous phone so I'm guessing it's not network issue.... Anyone have similar problems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭dball

never had an issue with messages but i downloaded the google messages app from day 1
    Had heard before that the stock version wasn't 100% reliable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

dball wrote: »
    never had an issue with messages but i downloaded the google messages app from day 1
    Had heard before that the stock version wasn't 100% reliable

Yes, I'm using Google messages app but still not sending

Might try to load Google camera on it but if not any other good camera apps on play store?

Also noticed it again that apps are not updating automatically on parents phone. I have to go in and update all. I have it set up as auto update

Anyone experiencing this and any fixes.

Might try to load Google camera on it but if not any other good camera apps on play store?

Also noticed it again that apps are not updating automatically on parents phone. I have to go in and update all. I have it set up as auto update

Anyone experiencing this and any fixes.

only gcam (google camera) will make a difference with night night really.

what can make a big difference is if you get proficient with something like snapseed to edit photos

not sure about update - don't have the issue.

maybe clear data and cache on play store and google services in apps - might work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I’m using the free Camera FV-5 Lite, from the store, can’t get the gcam on my Mi (non lite). Night camera is outstanding.

Taltos wrote: »
    I’m using the free Camera FV-5 Lite, from the store, can’t get the gcam on my Mi (non lite). Night camera is outstanding.

You should be able to get the gcam on any phone if you can unlock the bootloader to enable camera2 API. Some phones will even have this enabled already

Taltos wrote: »

that free version only allows you save at a really low resolution and with all due respect I don't think that it would come anywhere near google's night sight on the gcam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Cheers will look into the gcam so this weekend

use this app to check if you have camera2 api enabled

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.airbeat.device.inspector&hl=en

you want to see level_3 or full in green in the hardware support level section.

Bit of a problem with my wife's a2 lite.

When she has an incoming call there's no way of answering. The phone rings but the Caller ID, Decline, Answer panel is not coming up. WE tried restarting and checking for updates to no avail. I've an identical phone and compared all the settings and there's no difference.

Any ideas much appreciated.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Bit of a problem with my wife's a2 lite.

When she has an incoming call there's no way of answering. The phone rings but the Caller ID, Decline, Answer panel is not coming up. WE tried restarting and checking for updates to no avail. I've an identical phone and compared all the settings and there's no difference.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Back everything up and do a factory reset. Won't do the phone any harm anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Bluetooth has started turning itself on automatically, only started over the last month. Any ideas? Cheers.

Sir Dosser wrote: »
    Back everything up and do a factory reset. Won't do the phone any harm anyway.

Thanks for that. I haven't had a chance to look at it since. It's a right Pain. the screen stays black if in standby and pressing the + or - vol buttons won't silence the ringer as normal. Then she has to ring the person back when it stops ringing. I'm not working tomorrow and will get to sit down for an hour and try and sort it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Has anyone had issues with poor WiFi connectivity?
    My wife is complaining about it dropping and being slow to connect. Only started a week ago?

Akrasia wrote: »
    Has anyone had issues with poor WiFi connectivity?
    My wife is complaining about it dropping and being slow to connect. Only started a week ago?

if you have bluetooth on at the same time as wifi you will reduce the wifi connection quality.

keep bluetooth off unless you need it for a specific use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

if you have bluetooth on at the same time as wifi you will reduce the wifi connection quality.

keep bluetooth off unless you need it for a specific use.

Thanks for the advice. It’s not the Bluetooth with her, she’s really careful about turning everything off that might use up her battery. I’ll just have to do a deep dive into the home network

the bluetooth + wifi thing is an annoying bug that came in with the pie update and hasn't been fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 gameoverman

Just wanted to warn people who bought an A2 lite from eGlobalCentral, as I just did:

https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/catalogsearch/result/?cat=&q=Xiaomi+mi+a2+lite

Despite all packaging claiming that it is an A2 lite the device is actually is a Redmi 6 Pro flashed with a custom Android One ROM somwhere between the factory and me. This is confirmed by already being unlocked out of the box, some developer options missing, and it's codename being a "Sakura" rather than a "Daisy". Reddit thread describing the same experience: https://www.reddit.com/r/Xiaomi/comments/axv6ws/need_help_to_upgtade_to_android_9_mi_a2_lite/ehwu190/

The hardware of the 2 phones is (almost?) identical so I don't care about that, but I will be flashing it with an offical ROM before using it for anything. Maybe the custom ROM is benign, but anything could be hidden in there.

• Advertisement

it's the exact same hardware.

I'm not sure exactly how eglobal works - but I think that they are a sort of storefront for more than 1 supplier.

without the official rom I suppose that you won't get the over-the-air (OTA) security updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭BowWow

glasso...

I bought the Mi A2 Lite for my wife last year, great phone, she loves it.
    Was intending to get the A3 Lite for myself when it came out around now. But that doesn't look like it's happening. Any thoughts on an Mi A3 Lite? or a good alternative priced around the same?

Thanks..

there will be no A3 lite

the A3 itself is pretty much the A3 Lite in all but name though.

it's 177€ here so in same price range.

has a 4000mah battery

https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/xiaomi-mi-a3-dual-sim-4gb-64gb-black-1.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Just a word of warning to owners who are getting the notification to update to Android 10. Best hold off on this until now. Reports of it bricking some phones. I updated mine before reading it, and while it hasn't bricked it, it has slowed it down remarkably, and the battery life seems to have gotten worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

Just a word of warning to owners who are getting the notification to update to Android 10. Best hold off on this until now. Reports of it bricking some phones. I updated mine before reading it, and while it hasn't bricked it, it has slowed it down remarkably, and the battery life seems to have gotten worse.

Purposely done to make you upgrade, don't manufacturers do that to end of life models ?

mondeo wrote: »
    Purposely done to make you upgrade, don't manufacturers do that to end of life models ?

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

5 A2's between family members here, 2 bricked, 2 successfully updated and 1 not updated.

prudent to wait a week these days and read up about major updates.

the a2 lite is only a backup phone for me now but still

tbh Xiaomi has made a bill of a balls of their android one phones on the whole in terms of the updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

prudent to wait a week these days and read up about major updates.

the a2 lite is only a backup phone for me now but still

tbh Xiaomi has made a bill of a balls of their android one phones on the whole in terms of the updates.

I had the mi A1 and the time of the updates was crap compared to other android one phones. It was last of the bunch to get anything. I think Nokia have much faster updates with their android ones.

The Cush wrote: »
    5 A2's between family members here, 2 bricked, 2 successfully updated and 1 not updated.

Yeah that's one of the reasons I would be reluctant to buy another. I had the mi A2 lite but moved to a Samsung Galaxy A50. The mess that Xiaomi have made of the rollouts of updates just wouldn't happen with Samsung. Pixel 3a for €129 atm on Vodafone is an absolute steal for anyone looking for a cheap mid ranger.

• Advertisement
Advertisement