Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to turn upstairs WAP off?

Options
  • 08-09-2018 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I need to turn off the Wireless Access Point which distributes Wifi through the first floor (because of teenagers on devices while meant to be asleep!) I can't figure out how to do it so was wondering if one of you could help me?

I attach a pic of teh WAP on the ceiling upstairs, and a picture of the box to show make and model. Googling hasn't helped me, I don't understand the technical jargon in the forums :confused:

From a very basic level (explain it as you would to a 5 year old!) is it possible for me to just switch this off? On/Off button?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Google is your friend:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/User-based-time-control-of-wifi-access/td-p/1490803

If you dont understand this, just put your router on a timer which will deny internet to the whole house. However, be aware that no matter what you do, your kids will out-wit every effort just because they (or their friends) understand IT way better than you will ever do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

There is no on/off switch so you have two options:

1) Twist the access point anti-clockwise remove it from the bracket and unplug the Ethernet cable.

2) Find where the POE adapter (page 2 in the pdf) is located and unplug it.

https://dl.ubnt.com/guides/UniFi/UniFi_AP_QSG.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Not a direct answer, but we use Google family accounts. I set a number of hours per day and if they want to go over that, they have to ask me for a one time code.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Dozyart

why not just take devices from them at a specific time each night?

Dozyart wrote: »
    why not just take devices from them at a specific time each night?

It's a fair point actually. You've got to have rules! However, the devices are music players as well as comms/ social media devices so its all a bit difficult to manage. I'd be all for age related rules as to what is acceptable usage, without having to resort to either technology solutions or subterfuge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Will they not just revert to using the data on their phones?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,952 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Peatys wrote: »
    Not a direct answer, but we use Google family accounts. I set a number of hours per day and if they want to go over that, they have to ask me for a one time code.

Simple method around that is for them to setup their own Gmail. Probably already have. Never assume your better at the kids than you in regards technology

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Sir Dosser wrote: »

Most teenagers I know don't pay for data. They use free WiFi and use WhatsApp or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,952 ✭✭✭✭listermint

beauf wrote: »
    Most teenagers I know don't pay for data. They use free WiFi and use WhatsApp or similar.

Very true. But how cheap data is now they can just get a top up if they needed to.

I think they are opposed to the idea of paying for it. Either scab off the parent or get it free.

Ikydz WiFi router works ok. But mobile data will always get around that.

The only other thing is to have a leave the phone downstairs at night rule.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

How did you set It up?

Which the ikydz?

You create profiles for each mobile so the internet turns off and on for each device to a timetable..

They can still cache things locally though. Just can't get new content until the WiFi comes back on the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Don't most routers have controls suited to time-based use dependent on MAC address or other device specific recognition?

Yes but they are not as streamlined to use.

Most people are not techies.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You don’t need to be a techie to pull out a plug.

Yes but they are not as streamlined to use.

Most people are not techies.

You do not need to be a 'techie' to tick a few boxes and apply the settings.

It is much more simple than downloading an app and ensuring that the app is not sending out unnecessary information that might compromise privacy or security of the device on which it is installed.

App? Lost me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Honestly (teacher and parent speaking). WiFi off entirely at night and all devices downstairs to charge. No other way to stop it. And by and large I would be hugely against school going students having any kind of tv or device (Xbox etc) in their bedroom. Kids are falling asleep in school because they get back up to play

This only works if you have a child who sticks the rules.
    If you have a child thats always testing/breaking the rules, then mobile devices, internet and gaming, make those problems worse.
    You also have the problem that you don't need the wifi for lots of stuff and neighbours may have open and unfiltered wifi.
    Microsoft Family used to work, until they broke it. useless now.
    There's also Google Family Link. Which only works under 13. Assuming you use real DOB.

Then you've the other problem what the school and clubs and friends all use the internet to communicate. They all have different rules.

Which the ikydz?

You create profiles for each mobile so the internet turns off and on for each device to a timetable..

They can still cache things locally though. Just can't get new content until the WiFi comes back on the next day.
    App? Lost me.

Really?

https://www.ikydz.com/

Pay €100 and get the app to manage things.

All that is easier than clicking a few boxes in the router?

That ikydz is a waste of money when the required function is already available in the router.

• Advertisement

The iKydz device is a hardware router. Its physical box. The app is just remote access to the router. Same on a regular router if you allow wireless config. You don't have to use the app.

It just has a layer of parental features that go beyond the firmware/software of a regular router.
    That ikydz is a waste of money when the required function is already available in the router.

I would say all the features aren't in a regular router. Also its a matter of ease of use and convenience. None of the routers I've had over the years anything like it. Not as easy anyway.

You could get an router with an open firmeware and customise how you like, filter youTube, white lists of apps and websites etc. If you find that easier. Most won't though.

The iKydz device is a hardware router. Its physical box. The app is just remote access to the router. Same on a regular router if you allow wireless config. You don't have to use the app.

It just has a layer of parental features that go beyond the firmware/software of a regular router.

I would say all the features aren't in a regular router. Also its a matter of ease of use and convenience. None of the routers I've had over the years anything like it. Not as easy anyway.

You could get an router with an open firmeware and customise how you like, filter youTube, white lists of apps and websites etc. If you find that easier. Most won't though.

I think, in your enthusiam for this ikydz device, you lost sight of what the OP asked about ...... simply turning off one device during specified hours.
    That can be simply achieved in most routers.

This only works if you have a child who sticks the rules.

If your child doesn't stick with the rules, then you need to have a look at how s/he is being parented as well as all the other stuff associated with raising children into becoming teenagers. If you cant have a rukle about putting all phones (switched off) into a charging station at night, then you have little or no hope when they get a bit older and you want to have rules around waaay more important stuff.
    If you have a child thats always testing/breaking the rules, then mobile devices, internet and gaming, make those problems worse.

It is the role of a child and a critical part of their development to constantly test boundaries. Its the role of the parents to (JOINTLY!!) set those boundaries, and have a system in place to have consequences for serious infractions, with gentle but firm verbals for minor ones.
    You also have the problem that you don't need the wifi for lots of stuff and neighbours may have open and unfiltered wifi.

If they dont have the devices in their bedrooms, then the issue doesn't arise.
    Then you've the other problem what the school and clubs and friends all use the internet to communicate. They all have different rules.

And that's a huge issue! Schools and parents need to agree an approach and, again, stick to it! Look what the French are doing about banning them in schools. A great social experiment IMHO, and I truly wish them well.

You've made very pertinent points Beauf; don't think I'm having a pop at you . You are reflecting the views of thousands of parents across the country I have no doubt. Its a huge problem for parents, but it needs firm but fair management by parents. I do'nt have all the answers for sure. Thankfully, my gang just missed the mobile/tablet in the bedroom. However, we had our battles with internet- thankfully, a 48k modem, ending with ISDN sorted out a lot of those issues. And of course, Whatsapp, Viber and Facebook were only a glint in their makers' eye....

I think, in your enthusiam for this ikydz device, you lost sight of what the OP asked about ...... simply turning off one device during specified hours.
    That can be simply achieved in most routers.

That was answered in the first two replies and about the OP specific router.
    We've moved on since that..no? Theres more to parental control than on/off.

The iKydz is far from my favourite device. I actually think its a good idea that needs a lot of polishing.

She can kinda afford to replace them though.

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    If your child doesn't stick with the rules, then you need to have a look at how s/he is being parented as well as all the other stuff associated with raising children into becoming teenagers. ....but it needs firm but fair management by parents........

My point really was only not all kids are the same, some don't respond to the same parenting techniques. I don't assume what works for one will work for them all.

The mobile device and internet is a new problem. Some kids aren't able to deal with it. Also the companies are trying to make them more addictive. Rather than working with parents, they are actively working against them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

For Ubiquiti you can very easily create a guest network in which you can schedule and limit the time schedule you allow access. Then connect the kids devices to this network. I'm well up on Ubiquiti, come back to me if you're having trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

There is no on/off switch so you have two options:

1) Twist the access point anti-clockwise remove it from the bracket and unplug the Ethernet cable.

2) Find where the POE adapter (page 2 in the pdf) is located and unplug it.

https://dl.ubnt.com/guides/UniFi/UniFi_AP_QSG.pdf

Cheers thanks a mil. managed to twist it off and unplug the ethernet there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Sir Dosser wrote: »

they don't have data on their phones. They rely on Wifi

Advertisement