Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to turn upstairs WAP off?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

One of mine was using next doors WiFi for a couple of weeks till I noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

You have Unifi (as do I) and what I do it:

I have 4 SSID's / Wireless networks setup as below

"Parents"
    "Kids"
    "Guests"
    "AV"

The kids do not know any password other than Kids and it works from 7am to 9pm Sunday to Thursday and 7am to midnight on Friday and Saturday. The Kids network is also rate limited to 4Mbit down and 256Kbit up (I have DSL internet).

My wife and are the only people who know password for "Parents", "Guests" and "AV" with AV being used on DVD, Smart TV, etc... and "Parents" network is only network that is not rate limited.

All very easily setup using Unifi console.

How much is that Unifi

beauf wrote: »
    How much is that Unifi

chip as chips. Anywhere from €80 to €150 depending on model. I like the AC Pro but you can use the cheaper version at home.

You can get on amazon.co.uk

Can you get 4 SSID with the cheaper one. Or do you need multiple units

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    Can you get 4 SSID with the cheaper one. Or do you need multiple units

yes - all support up to 4 SSIDs and the model difference will just have to do with range and other enterprise options.

To do correctly you should also get their "cloud key" which is a mini server that holds and manages the config however you can also manage from your laptop/desktop at home by downloading their console app. If you do this just backup the config from time to time and save somewhere safe so you could manage from another computer if necessary.

Ubiquiti Networks UAP-AC-LITE WLAN Access Point

UBIQUITI Networks UniFi Cloud Key Controller

I manage about 100 of these things are they are set and forget devices as just so reliable.

Sounds great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

You do not need the cloud key, you can run the controller software on any pc and it's only needed to configure it and make changes. It does not need to be running all the time. The cloud key is only useful for hotels etc where they run a captive portal and to keep logs.

You do not need the cloud key, you can run the controller software on any pc and it's only needed to configure it and make changes. It does not need to be running all the time. The cloud key is only useful for hotels etc where they run a captive portal and to keep logs.

you do not need the cloud key however it does give you nice stats and logs which you will not see if console is usually closed.

As I noted if you run from your PC just make sure you run the backup from the console from time to time and save somewhere safe as if your desktop or laptop gets replaced you will lose all your settings and have to build your wifi network from scratch. This little backup allows you to get up and running again in seconds from a new console install.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

If they are under 18 .maybe ask em to hand in laptops ,phones before they go to bed.
    Whatsapp needs data on the phone to work.
    https://www.lifewire.com/when-and-how-to-turn-off-wifi-818302
    maybe switch off wifi on the router.
    Use a pc or laptop attached by ethernet cables after 9pm to browse the web.
    Do not have any device upstairs connected by an ethernet cable.
    Or use separate wifi passwords for kid,s ,parents etc ,
    kids wifi switches off from 9pm to 8am.

• Advertisement

we have a no electronic device upstairs rule that applies to everyone including me and my wife. We cannot even use mobile phones as alarm clocks and rule works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

BailMeOut wrote: »
    we have a no electronic device upstairs rule that applies to everyone including me and my wife. We cannot even use mobile phones as alarm clocks and rule works well.
    Wow!
    Of course this is your preference, but in event off emergency in midnight ( God bless) you have other means of "emergency call", I hope.

Wow!
    Of course this is your preference, but in event off emergency in midnight ( God bless) you have other means of "emergency call", I hope.

We can just walk downstairs to make a call!

There is a landline next to bed.

In case off emergency, people, most of the time, run.
    And it's all cool, if you can "walk" through blazing fire to make call 112, or ....: "excuse me Mr. burglar, just walked downstairs to grab my phone... you know... to call garda, carry on..." :D

But you have landline so all good.

And this already off topic so I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

I get the sense that the O.P. was looking for a technology solution to resolving the issue, rather than getting into the more important/substantive matter of rules and boundaries within a family.

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    I get the sense that the O.P. was looking for a technology solution to resolving the issue, rather than getting into the more important/substantive matter of rules and boundaries within a family.

I gave the OP a full technical solution using the equipment he/she already has. See above posts for details.

I gave the OP a full technical solution using the equipment he/she already has. See above posts for details.
    After that it is for OP to make call

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You could simply switch off the router before you go to bed ,
    in case of emergency you might need to use a phone.
    say the power goes off ,and theres a fire downstairs it might be hard to get to a phone or to find it .Having no phones upstairs rule sounds a bit extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Same. Been doing that for years. We have a clock radio, same as my parents had! Only thing that annoys me is on my clock radio it's not possible to have a different alarm setting for weekends like it is on your phone.

Perhaps one of you Ubiquiti gurus could help me with this. In my attempts to turn the FF WAP off, I tried to log into my system. It's looking for a username and password (see attached). The system was set up by a company that I paid to do the TV/Audio/Internet distribution when we were building the house. They have since gone bust and are not answering calls/emails.

I assume I can't implement any of the solutions proposed in this thread e.g. setting different times and users etc unless I can log in here?

Any ideas what the user name and password might be?

• Advertisement

Lucuma wrote: »
    Perhaps one of you Ubiquiti gurus could help me with this. In my attempts to turn the FF WAP off, I tried to log into my system. It's looking for a username and password (see attached). The system was set up by a company that I paid to do the TV/Audio/Internet distribution when we were building the house. They have since gone bust and are not answering calls/emails.

I assume I can't implement any of the solutions proposed in this thread e.g. setting different times and users etc unless I can log in here?

Any ideas what the user name and password might be?

The default is username: ubnt password: ubnt
    If that doesn't do it you will have to factory reset

When you did the original setup you would have created a console username and password. The username is most likely an email address but it does no necessarily have to be.

If you cannot remember your original console credentials you can recover the password which is not very easy to do so I would setup from scratch again using these steps:

1. Uninstall the Unifi console (+ all local settings and configurations when prompted) from your machine. i.e remove everything
    2. Factory reset your AP (paper clip in reset button until it reboots
    3. Download latest console from Unifi and install console from scratch on your PC
    4. Run through wizard to setup and re-adopt the AP again

Sounds like a pain but takes no time at all to setup.

Just remember to remember your username/password!!

Backup the config once setup and save somewhere off the PC (to cloud).

The default is username: ubnt password: ubnt
    If that doesn't do it you will have to factory reset

That didn't work :(:(:(
    I'll have to figure out how to do a Factory reset so.
    Can't believe those gonads never gave me the password. I paid them thousands like

When you did the original setup you would have created a console username and password. The username is most likely an email address but it does no necessarily have to be.

If you cannot remember your original console credentials you can recover the password which is not very easy to do so I would setup from scratch again using these steps:

1. Uninstall the Unifi console (+ all local settings and configurations when prompted) from your machine. i.e remove everything
    2. Factory reset your AP (paper clip in reset button until it reboots
    3. Download latest console from Unifi and install console from scratch on your PC
    4. Run through wizard to setup and re-adopt the AP again

Sounds like a pain but takes no time at all to setup.

Just remember to remember your username/password!!

Backup the config once setup and save somewhere off the PC (to cloud).

Will I have to download software onto my laptop to do this? My internet distribution was a turn key installation from a company (which have now gone bust and not answering messages) I assume they set it all up on their laptops at the time

Will I have to download software onto my laptop to do this? My internet distribution was a turn key installation from a company (which have now gone bust and not answering messages) I assume they set it all up on their laptops at the time

it is all really easy to do, just follow my instructions. I manage hundreds of these devices so if you need help let me know.

Just remember to document your console username and password and when setup backup the config from the console and save online somewhere.

You'll need to install the software on your own laptop, then you may need to do a factory reset on the device if it doesn't let you adopt them. When you remove it from the ceiling you'll see the factory reset point on the device.

Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'm probably a lone voice here, but teenagers are nearly adults. They will have to find their own ways. My eldest is 14.5 years old, she goes to bed way too late and spends far too much time on her phone

But she averages 90/100 in her exams in school, she is well spoken and well behaved and has good friends who also do well in school. So who am I to take her devices off her or switch the wifi off? The authoritarian head of the household whose rules must be obeyed?

What if she was the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yeah that's a fair point, it wouldn't work on all children, but I'd like to think she is like she is because of my laissez-faire attitude. I was lucky I was brought up the same way when I was a teenager. When my bed time was let go from 9:30PM to whatever I wanted, I actually went to bed earlier :D

My point really is that teenagers need to be shown some respect and some space to become adults. And these days that includes access to the internet 24/7 with all its good and its bad points.

• Advertisement

Your theory seems to be all kids are the same. So they could be Schumacher, Einstein, Picasso or Pele. Regardless of natural ability. It doesn't seem very likely.

Some kids colour inside of the lines, some don't.

Not all kids from the same parents and in the same environment are similar.

Advertisement